Post by logan2z » Wed May 09, 2018 7:37 am

Despite the fact that it's not intended as a dive watch :scratch:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/jaege ... vox-review

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Re: Jason Heaton Takes the new JLC Polaris Memovox Diving

Post by hoppyjr » Wed May 09, 2018 8:23 am

I like the appearance of the new JLC’s, but if I wanted a JLC that had a push crown and wasn’t a diver, I’d get a True Seconds or some other more dressy watch.

This was obviously a promo watch for the article/review, but I’d be worried about flooding a $12k watch at depth.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed May 09, 2018 8:23 am

This hobby is getting so goofy.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Wed May 09, 2018 8:51 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 8:23 am
I like the appearance of the new JLC’s, but if I wanted a JLC that had a push crown and wasn’t a diver, I’d get a True Seconds or some other more dressy watch.

This was obviously a promo watch for the article/review, but I’d be worried about flooding a $12k watch at depth.
I'd only buy that watch if I had a written warranty from JLC against any water damage regardless of what why how who did what. Because the warranty department can't even ask you if your crown was screwed down when you send it in for repair

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Wed May 09, 2018 9:44 am

hoppyjr wrote:
I'd be really surprised if anyone bought this watch with the intention of diving with it. It is a diver like the LLD is a supercompressor - in appearance only.

Denizen

Post by Denizen » Wed May 09, 2018 10:55 am

logan2z wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 9:44 am
hoppyjr wrote:
I'd be really surprised if anyone bought this watch with the intention of diving with it. It is a diver like the LLD is a supercompressor - in appearance only.
And I wouldn't be terribly surprised if someone did just that with ??? consequences!

If this Polaris Memovox is actually rated to 100M, then then technically you could take it to the water for swimming at least. I wouldn't, but that's me of course.

And I'm certaibly not dissuading any DWC'ers from buying this watch. ;)

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Wed May 09, 2018 11:41 am

I think there are a few here that would have been buyers if the crowns screwed down like the LLD, but less interested now.

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Wed May 09, 2018 11:53 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 11:41 am
I think there are a few here that would have been buyers if the crowns screwed down like the LLD, but less interested now.
I was all set yep.
It's like the article reads I would be more afraid of snagging on one of the 3 crowns and flooding the watch washing my hands, who cares about diving

DoctorC
Name: Greg

Post by DoctorC » Wed May 09, 2018 12:23 pm

Denizen wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 10:55 am
logan2z wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 9:44 am
hoppyjr wrote:
And I wouldn't be terribly surprised if someone did just that with ??? consequences!

If this Polaris Memovox is actually rated to 100M, then then technically you could take it to the water for swimming at least. I wouldn't, but that's me of course.

And I'm certaibly not dissuading any DWC'ers from buying this watch. ;)

Looks like the back says 20 bar rated...

Image from Hodinkee article referenced above..

Greg

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Wed May 09, 2018 2:12 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 11:53 am
hoppyjr wrote:
I was all set yep.
It's like the article reads I would be more afraid of snagging on one of the 3 crowns and flooding the watch washing my hands, who cares about diving
You cannot be serious :) You only wash your hands if you're wearing a watch with a screw down crown?

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Wed May 09, 2018 3:40 pm

logan2z wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 2:12 pm
Panerai7 wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
I was all set yep.
You cannot be serious :) You only wash your hands if you're wearing a watch with a screw down crown?
I only have one watch without screw down crown and I keep checking it after pulling my hand out of a pocket or before I wash my hands. I don't wanna do that with 3 crowns lol

Denizen

Post by Denizen » Wed May 09, 2018 4:57 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 3:40 pm
logan2z wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 2:12 pm
Panerai7 wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
I was all set yep.
I only have one watch without screw down crown and I keep checking it after pulling my hand out of a pocket or before I wash my hands. I don't wanna do that with 3 crowns lol
Or simply remove the watch before washing your hands. Now before anyone thinks this is excesive, it's not in some cases.

Case in point: Went to eat dinner at a fine restaurant, I choose to wear my TTR 1931 that time. Before dessert was served, I went to the restroom to wash my hands. Watch came off before washing...I also wanted to avoid the Fagliano strap getting wet.

dinexus
Name: Zach

Post by dinexus » Wed May 09, 2018 5:11 pm

Oops.

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Wed May 09, 2018 5:15 pm

Lovely watch...though I doubt I would dive with it.

A sidebar; Heaton's set up is not suitable for decompression diving but he is carrying a yellow SMB (surface marker buoy) that has a specific purpose related to decompression diving. His SMB should be orange, or he is going to give the boat crew a heart attack when he deploys it :shock:

bnabod

Jason Heaton Takes the new JLC Polaris Memovox Diving

Post by bnabod » Wed May 09, 2018 5:42 pm

Read that article this morning and frankly I would think that brands would put more qc on watches that will go around the press. Seems to me that it would be worth it to ensure one does not get bad publicity. To however say well this was a proto and give JLC a pass is a bit thin for me since I seriously doubt there would be many if any changes made to the full prod model. What will they do, add screw down? Add triple lock ....doubt that very much so what is left ?

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Wed May 09, 2018 5:56 pm

I agree with you, Carl. It's an absolutely lovely watch, but other than for purposes of writing this article, I can think of no reason to dive with it. Even Jason's example failed during his trip and had to be sent back to JC for repair.

I'm not a writer or reviewer, so I'll play in the ocean with my $600 Shogun or SPB053 and save my non-divers for the 90% of my life I spend on dry land.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Wed May 09, 2018 6:01 pm

bnabod wrote:Read that article this morning and frankly I would think that brands would put more qc on watches that will go around the press. Seems to me that it would be worth it to ensure one does not get bad publicity. To however say well this was a proto and give JLC a pass is a bit thin for me since I seriously doubt there would be many if any changes made to the full prod model. What will they do, add screw down? Add triple lock ....doubt that very much so what is left ?

I agree. I’d expect it to be flawless and, knowing Jason was going to dive with it, pressure tested to ensure it was water tight.

Richemont fail. Again.

Denizen

Post by Denizen » Wed May 09, 2018 6:06 pm

It's anyone's guess what JLC will do for tweaks based on Jason's experience. Maybe nothing. Maybe something. You don't need a screwdown crown to ensure against water ingress. Though that's what most companies do.

Like I said though...I wouldn't wear this even to swim with. :grin:

YMMV.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Wed May 09, 2018 6:55 pm

^ but would you wear it in a vat of Jello, if accompanied by three strippers?

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Wed May 09, 2018 7:08 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 6:01 pm
bnabod wrote:Read that article this morning and frankly I would think that brands would put more qc on watches that will go around the press. Seems to me that it would be worth it to ensure one does not get bad publicity. To however say well this was a proto and give JLC a pass is a bit thin for me since I seriously doubt there would be many if any changes made to the full prod model. What will they do, add screw down? Add triple lock ....doubt that very much so what is left ?

I agree. I’d expect it to be flawless and, knowing Jason was going to dive with it, pressure tested to ensure it was water tight.

Richemont fail. Again.
I'm a big JLC fan but I have to admit that they deserve the Colossal Stupidity Award for allowing Jason to dive with the watch when a) they clearly state the watch should not be taken diving and b) they clearly didn't test it to make sure it wouldn't leak if Jason did take it diving. Instead they said "go for it" and ended up with some bad press, even if nobody will ever actually dive with it. All of that said, if I liked the watch enough to buy it I wouldn't worry about it flooding if used for swimming or other intense water sports like hand washing ;) as I'm sure JLC would stand behind the warranty.

Denizen

Post by Denizen » Wed May 09, 2018 7:13 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 6:55 pm
^ but would you wear it in a vat of Jello, if accompanied by three strippers?
That's a tough question. I'll have to sleep on it.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Thu May 10, 2018 4:34 am

Really not sure the point of his article.
It’s not a dive watch, states that it is not to be used as a dive watch, but he wants to take it diving, and JLC gives the OK, and it failed.
Why he couldn’t just do a regular review on it and take an actual dive watch diving?
I’m not hating here, but this truly was pointless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu May 10, 2018 9:07 am

tattoo chef wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 4:34 am
Really not sure the point of his article.
It’s not a dive watch, states that it is not to be used as a dive watch, but he wants to take it diving, and JLC gives the OK, and it failed.
Why he couldn’t just do a regular review on it and take an actual dive watch diving?
I’m not hating here, but this truly was pointless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I totally agree. It makes no sense unless he was trying to destroy it. :shrug:

Grahamcombat
Name: Graham

Post by Grahamcombat » Thu May 10, 2018 9:52 am

Shouldn’t you be able to dive with a 200M rated watch?

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Thu May 10, 2018 10:14 am

Grahamcombat wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 9:52 am
Shouldn’t you be able to dive with a 200M rated watch?
Thank you
I'm not cutting any slack just because it's zhezhe
Let's see someone post a micro here with 200m WR and no screw down crowns, it would be ripped to shreds and rightfully so. A 200M WR watch on a rubber strap must have screwed down crowns, no excuses. No one drives 911 0-60 in 3 seconds but a part of the reason you're paying for it because it can and if you get smoked by a Prius you'd be mad. Well, Polaris just got smoked by SKX :)