General watch talk.
gr8sw
Name: Pedro

'rare' Domino's Rolex for auction

Post by gr8sw » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:00 am

for all you pie lovers...

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2018/ ... ction.html

1524788206851.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
‘I don’t worry about a thing, 'cause I know nothing’s gonna be alright’ Mose Allison

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Re: 'rare' Domino's Rolex for auction

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:04 am

This watch shit just jumped the shark. These watches have been floating around the forums forever - failing to sell at 30% below comparable values. I'll gladly lose $20,000 on my collection when the Instagram fueled stupidity of this hobby goes away.

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:11 am

I prefer this one...

Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:38 am

I have seen these for sale around 1500 years ago and no one wanted one. I think sellers are trying to create hype to pull more money in

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:45 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:38 am
I have seen these for sale around 1500 years ago and no one wanted one. I think sellers are trying to create hype to pull more money in
Definitely. I’ve even seen people trying to hype “Swiss only” dials on A serial five digit Rolex.

This was a better hobby when every seller wasn’t trying to extract the most money possible from everyone.

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:59 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:45 am
toxicavenger wrote:
Definitely. I’ve even seen people trying to hype “Swiss only” dials on A serial five digit Rolex.

This was a better hobby when every seller wasn’t trying to extract the most money possible from everyone.
....just like anything buddy!
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:02 am

JDC222 wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:59 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:

Were you on the forums circa 2000? It was really different back then. Shit, it was different three years ago. It used to be that TRF-like behavior was the exception. Now it's the rule.

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:27 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:02 am
JDC222 wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:59 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:

Were you on the forums circa 2000? It was really different back then. Shit, it was different three years ago. It used to be that TRF-like behavior was the exception. Now it's the rule.
I wasn't on the forums then, no.

I was big in to hunting old school BMX parts, from the late 70's/early 80's. I love the old Haro number plates, Hutch pedals/cranks, Elina Lightning seats etc.

The Haro number plates are selling for $400usd + now...I bought a box of 40 for $1ea.
The Hutch pedals sell for $1100usd + now...I bought them for $80. Hutch AeroSpeed cranks $2500usd + now....I was paying $75-$120...
The Elina Lightning seats are selling for $350usd + now...I bought them for $5ea

I could sell all of the shit that I have collected and make a bunch of $$ but that's not why I started collecting it. I don't mind trading a piece, here and there but I love the memories attached... :thumbsup:
Winston Churchill.

smellody
Name: Christopher

Post by smellody » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:37 am

They really aren't "rare."

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Post by Steve O. » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:57 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:04 am
This watch shit just jumped the shark. These watches have been floating around the forums forever - failing to sell at 30% below comparable values. I'll gladly lose $20,000 on my collection when the Instagram fueled stupidity of this hobby goes away.
Well said. Couldn't agree more.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

dukerules

'rare' Domino's Rolex for auction

Post by dukerules » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:39 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:

I'll be honest, as this hobby has become popular, fueled in large part by instagram and speculators trying to turn big profits, it's become a lot less fun for me. Everything these days is so damn expensive, and there really isn't a good reason for that, apart from the fact that many people are willing to pay the inflated prices. I love vintage watches, but I'm not playing that game any longer, and I've sold all of mine except for one 6309 ( which I'm pretty sure will be worth 3 times what I paid for it in a couple of years).

And the manufacturers are just as guilty. Much of the good new stuff-Rolex being one example-is just too much for me to believe in many cases. $8500 retail for a ceramic Submariner is, really, a freaking joke.

I guess I just have to be happy with what I have. Crazy thing is I sold most of my good stuff (Fifty Fathoms, 114060, snowflake, NSA, 1665, some nice vintage Seikos, plenty of other nice stuff that escapes me right now) as I didn't want so much money tied up in watches. Now I don't think I could afford to get any of those back.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:53 am

dukerules wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:39 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:

I'll be honest, as this hobby has become popular, fueled in large part by instagram and speculators trying to turn big profits, it's become a lot less fun for me. Everything these days is so damn expensive, and there really isn't a good reason for that, apart from the fact that many people are willing to pay the inflated prices. I love vintage watches, but I'm not playing that game any longer, and I've sold all of mine except for one 6309 ( which I'm pretty sure will be worth 3 times what I paid for it in a couple of years).

And the manufacturers are just as guilty. Much of the good new stuff-Rolex being one example-is just too much for me to believe in many cases. $8500 retail for a ceramic Submariner is, really, a freaking joke.

I guess I just have to be happy with what I have. Crazy thing is I sold most of my good stuff (Fifty Fathoms, 114060, snowflake, NSA, 1665, some nice vintage Seikos, plenty of other nice stuff that escapes me right now) as I didn't want so much money tied up in watches. Now I don't think I could afford to get any of those back.
I totally agree. I could deal with $4500 for the average used/mint five digit Rolex and twice that for something really special like my NOS Daytona. Now, you're looking at $10,000 for something ugly and common like a too-green LV. :banghead:

The crazy thing is, no matter how much these sellers charge, some dude with too much money will buy. There seems to be no upper bound - $20,000 for a used Daytona? Sure, why not :nutkick: :nutkick:

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:16 pm

dukerules wrote:

This.....I know I have appreciably slowed my cadence recently. When the Sinn and Seiko eventually find new homes I'll find something to go with the DSSD and then might slow to a crawl.

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:30 pm

I always thought there would be a niche market for these someday just like hardware store and company advertisements on old timey slipjoints.

I think it’s a bit too soon but the days of company issued milestone Rolex watches are long gone. I don’t see the market going through the roof but some fool with his money will want to collect them all someday when they are rare

But as for the increasing stupidity of this hobby year after year, I’ve been in a holding pattern with my collection for years and will likely be here forever at this rate. Back to modding the occasional seiko for fun.
Last edited by sierra11b on Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueSky
Name: David

Post by BlueSky » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:37 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:53 am
dukerules wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:

I totally agree. I could deal with $4500 for the average used/mint five digit Rolex and twice that for something really special like my NOS Daytona. Now, you're looking at $10,000 for something ugly and common like a too-green LV. :banghead:

The crazy thing is, no matter how much these sellers charge, some dude with too much money will buy. There seems to be no upper bound - $20,000 for a used Daytona? Sure, why not :nutkick: :nutkick:
I see 20K Daytonas all the time on WR. Just don't get it...

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:47 pm

BlueSky wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:37 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:
dukerules wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:

And they move. Or at least we assume they do because they’re marked “sold”

The stickerd 16710 w/3186 at >$15000 gone in a flash. It’s crazy.

I wonder if some of these sales are just ghost ads to increase prices?

The small details commanding huge $$$$ and who/what sets the precedence is what always baffled me with Rolex. A slightly different font on an LV seperates all the many “Mk versions” of that watch by thousands. Float the word “cosmograph” one line below the other lettering and command tens of thousands. Discuss the handful of various milgauss GV dials over the years and crickets.
Last edited by sierra11b on Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:52 pm

sierra11b wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:47 pm
BlueSky wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:37 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:
dukerules wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
Some and some I think. I don’t trust these forum sellers at all - most are total hustlers. On the other hand, very many stupid rich guys out there. Just look at TRF.

And they move. Or at least we assume they do because they’re marked “sold”

The stickerd 16710 w/3186 at >$15000 gone in a flash. It’s crazy.

I wonder if some of these sales are just ghost ads to increase prices?
Some and some I think. I don’t trust these forum sellers at all - most are total hustlers. On the other hand, very many stupid rich guys out there. Just look at TRF

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:23 pm

dukerules wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:

Summed up well. It's a much less fun hobby when people are just looking to play to hype.
:htfu:

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:28 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:23 pm
dukerules wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:

Summed up well. It's a much less fun hobby when people are just looking to play to hype.
And increasingly many people in this hobby don't know shit about watches. They're just another expensive thing to flaunt.

R@cerx
Name: David

Post by R@cerx » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:54 pm

^^^ And the folks who know and love watches are being priced out of the hobby.

namor
Name: Seth

Post by namor » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:52 pm

Sorry to sound like an old timer, but today's prices seem high only because of when you got into watches. I remember paying $3,000 for a 16613 and thinking it was crazy money to spend on a Rolex, since my steel sub was much cheaper. It was all those damned Wall St guys jumping on the submariner bandwagon we said at the time!

The merry-go-round keeps turning, and buyers of today will no doubt lament things when a 2025 No Date Sub costs $15,000....
www.usmcscoutsniper.org - Life Member
“Qualified to deport with denizens of the deep, mermaids, and other inhabitants of the realm of Neptune.”

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:15 pm

Look at a $40,000 car now versus a $20,000 car ten years ago. A new sub represented about 25% of the cost of each. That car is looking like a much more enjoyable buy now than it did then.

These watches aren’t worth $20,000. Thats a fucking enormous amount of money and the only reason people are willing to spend it is because they think the watch will go up astronomically in price over the years. It sucks ass. Vintage is worse, of course (fakes, made up full sets, laser welded unpolished watches, etc all costing as much as a down payment on a house).

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:17 pm

R@cerx wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:54 pm
^^^ And the folks who know and love watches are being priced out of the hobby.
The problem is us hobbyists were the only ones to recognize it as such (when birth year snowflakes were <$2k) when “hobby” never was in th Swiss vocabulary. Seems it’s not in the Japanese vocabulary either... I’ll have to ask the wife. They’ve past us by and haven’t looked back.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:20 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:15 pm
Look at a $40,000 car now versus a $20,000 car ten years ago. A new sub represented about 25% of the cost of each. That car is looking like a much more enjoyable buy now than it did then.

These watches aren’t worth $20,000. Thats a fucking enormous amount of money and the only reason people are willing to spend it is because they think the watch will go up astronomically in price over the years. It sucks ass. Vintage is worse, of course (fakes, made up full sets, laser welded unpolished watches, etc all costing as much as a down payment on a house).
And a new car today brings a lot of new technology and safety to the table vs 10 years ago. A Sub has barely changed.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:36 am

dnslater wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:20 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:15 pm

And a new car today brings a lot of new technology and safety to the table vs 10 years ago. A Sub has barely changed.
That was the subtext of my point. A $20,000 car in 2008 would be a total piece of shit today. I'm buying my wife a new $40,000ish SUV right now. Those things are amazingly nice. Way nicer than even a $60,000 car ten years ago.

The new $20,000 street price Daytona is a dial swap and a snap on bezel added to the previous version, which debuted in the year 2000. Yet people are willing to wait 10 years to buy at MSRP. It's insanity and I can't imagine that it will continue forever, despite everyone seemingly being sure that it will.