New Maurice Lacroix....

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
User avatar
dnslater
Posts: 5325
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:52 pm
Name: Nick
Location: Indiana, USA

Re: New Maurice Lacroix....

Post by dnslater » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:24 am

According to the article, the bezel is making a reference to this important iconic design from their history.
Image

User avatar
Panerai7
Posts: 14472
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm
Name: Art
Location: North Carolina

Re: New Maurice Lacroix....

Post by Panerai7 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:34 am

dnslater wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:24 am
According to the article, the bezel is making a reference to this important iconic design from their history.
Image
oh boy. definitely a historic model that's worthy of a modern tribute ;)

User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 14988
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ann Arbor, MI USA

Re: New Maurice Lacroix....

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:42 am

Panerai7 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:34 am
dnslater wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:24 am
According to the article, the bezel is making a reference to this important iconic design from their history.
Image
oh boy. definitely a historic model that's worthy of a modern tribute ;)
Image

User avatar
DEMO
Posts: 4238
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:41 pm
Location: The Blue Planet

Re: New Maurice Lacroix....

Post by DEMO » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:25 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:55 pm
This doesn't look much different than a watch I'd expect to see for $50 at Kohl's.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Exactly what I was thinking. It looks like a very bland, run-of-the-mill department store watch.
Image

User avatar
Panerai7
Posts: 14472
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm
Name: Art
Location: North Carolina

Re: New Maurice Lacroix....

Post by Panerai7 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:59 am

So I tried this on during lunch and I must say it's not horrible on the wrist if you're into that type of watch/case/bracelet. I would say if I liked and had the real thing I'd get this as a beater for ~$1300. 200m WR as well and a screw down crown.

Image

User avatar
ericf4
(TBD) Penis
Posts: 14032
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:04 am
Contact:

Re: New Maurice Lacroix....

Post by ericf4 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:44 pm

looks super cheap like shit you would find at a kiosk in the mall...

User avatar
Nellipj
Posts: 4940
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:56 am
Name: Patrick
Location: Frankfort, IL

Re: New Maurice Lacroix....

Post by Nellipj » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:47 pm

As much as I like AP, this is a big no go for me. The bezel is hideous :naughty:

User avatar
Knome
Posts: 1498
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:08 pm
Name: Ken
Location: Los Angeles

Re: New Maurice Lacroix....

Post by Knome » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:32 pm

Spoke to a friend in the biz and he mentioned that the pontos line, while held in decent regard with enthusiasts, is actually one of ML's worst sellers.

I got to try one of these on and while it's not my cup of tea, they are actually very comfortable on the wrist and look better in person.
Image

User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 14988
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ann Arbor, MI USA

Re: New Maurice Lacroix....

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:06 pm

Dog shit. Wash your arm Art.

User avatar
Panerai7
Posts: 14472
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm
Name: Art
Location: North Carolina

Re: New Maurice Lacroix....

Post by Panerai7 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:15 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:06 pm
Dog shit. Wash your arm Art.
Lol

bnabod
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:25 pm

Re: New Maurice Lacroix....

Post by bnabod » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:59 pm

Jeep99dad wrote:It would look a lot better without those polished squares on the bezel for sure.
What he said


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bnabod
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:25 pm

Re: New Maurice Lacroix....

Post by bnabod » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:03 pm

Panerai7 wrote:So I tried this on during lunch and I must say it's not horrible on the wrist if you're into that type of watch/case/bracelet. I would say if I liked and had the real thing I'd get this as a beater for ~$1300. 200m WR as well and a screw down crown.

Image

I think it looks decent but would get this instead

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Panerai7
Posts: 14472
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm
Name: Art
Location: North Carolina

Re: New Maurice Lacroix....

Post by Panerai7 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:07 pm

bnabod wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:03 pm
Panerai7 wrote:So I tried this on during lunch and I must say it's not horrible on the wrist if you're into that type of watch/case/bracelet. I would say if I liked and had the real thing I'd get this as a beater for ~$1300. 200m WR as well and a screw down crown.

Image

I think it looks decent but would get this instead

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let's get a PP Nautilus....this is $1300 out the door

User avatar
Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Posts: 25067
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:07 am
Name: Brice
Location: FlipVille, SC

Re: New Maurice Lacroix....

Post by Jeep99dad » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:40 pm

bnabod wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:So I tried this on during lunch and I must say it's not horrible on the wrist if you're into that type of watch/case/bracelet. I would say if I liked and had the real thing I'd get this as a beater for ~$1300. 200m WR as well and a screw down crown.

Image

I think it looks decent but would get this instead

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not exactly comparable. Much more $.

It’s actually growing on me
Image

Image
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

User avatar
Dedalus
Professor J
Posts: 3807
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:07 pm
Name: Jared
Location: NZ
Contact:

Re: New Maurice Lacroix....

Post by Dedalus » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:02 am

bnabod wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:So I tried this on during lunch and I must say it's not horrible on the wrist if you're into that type of watch/case/bracelet. I would say if I liked and had the real thing I'd get this as a beater for ~$1300. 200m WR as well and a screw down crown.

Image

I think it looks decent but would get this instead

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blasphemy to even mention the two in the same sentence. Point taken, but they’re worlds apart.

bnabod
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:25 pm

New Maurice Lacroix....

Post by bnabod » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:14 am

Dedalus wrote:
bnabod wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:So I tried this on during lunch and I must say it's not horrible on the wrist if you're into that type of watch/case/bracelet. I would say if I liked and had the real thing I'd get this as a beater for ~$1300. 200m WR as well and a screw down crown.

Image

I think it looks decent but would get this instead

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blasphemy to even mention the two in the same sentence. Point taken, but they’re worlds apart.

I know but essentially my recommendation would be to save your dough be a little patient and you can get the IWC for a decent price these days. The IWC can be had for <4 and if one can put down 2k chances are they can plop down 4 eventually. The problem in the theory is that the ML will be super cheap in 1 to 2 years on grey market that paying close to 2k would be insane .
ML reminds me of SAaB, they look good, you can buy it but it is yours for life after that unless you want to be murdered at resale.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by bnabod on Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ericf4
(TBD) Penis
Posts: 14032
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:04 am
Contact:

Re: New Maurice Lacroix....

Post by ericf4 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:42 am

Agreed. If I were looking I'd save a bit more and get an Ingy for sure. That ML looks like cheap shit IMO. It's the stupid bezel. Image

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk



User avatar
Panerai7
Posts: 14472
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm
Name: Art
Location: North Carolina

Re: New Maurice Lacroix....

Post by Panerai7 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:10 am

bnabod wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:14 am
Dedalus wrote:
bnabod wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:So I tried this on during lunch and I must say it's not horrible on the wrist if you're into that type of watch/case/bracelet. I would say if I liked and had the real thing I'd get this as a beater for ~$1300. 200m WR as well and a screw down crown.

Image

I think it looks decent but would get this instead

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blasphemy to even mention the two in the same sentence. Point taken, but they’re worlds apart.

I know but essentially my recommendation would be to save your dough be a little patient and you can get the IWC for a decent price these days. The IWC can be had for <4 and if one can put down 2k chances are they can plop down 4 eventually. The problem in the theory is that the ML will be super cheap in 1 to 2 years on grey market that paying close to 2k would be insane .
ML reminds me of SAaB, they look good, you can buy it but it is yours for life after that unless you want to be murdered at resale.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok I'll say it again it's THIRTEEN HUNDRED AMERICAN DOLLARS

User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 14988
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ann Arbor, MI USA

Re: New Maurice Lacroix....

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:28 am

$1300 is a lot of money to set on fire.

User avatar
Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Posts: 25067
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:07 am
Name: Brice
Location: FlipVille, SC

Re: New Maurice Lacroix....

Post by Jeep99dad » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:32 am

bnabod wrote:
Dedalus wrote:
bnabod wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:So I tried this on during lunch and I must say it's not horrible on the wrist if you're into that type of watch/case/bracelet. I would say if I liked and had the real thing I'd get this as a beater for ~$1300. 200m WR as well and a screw down crown.

Image

I think it looks decent but would get this instead

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blasphemy to even mention the two in the same sentence. Point taken, but they’re worlds apart.

I know but essentially my recommendation would be to save your dough be a little patient and you can get the IWC for a decent price these days. The IWC can be had for <4 and if one can put down 2k chances are they can plop down 4 eventually. The problem in the theory is that the ML will be super cheap in 1 to 2 years on grey market that paying close to 2k would be insane .
ML reminds me of SAaB, they look good, you can buy it but it is yours for life after that unless you want to be murdered at resale.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’ll take more than a little saving and the IWC even used cheap will be almost three times the price of the ML brand new from an AD. I’m not saying the IWC isn’t nice or not a better watch etc but not comparable and also probably doesn’t wear the same. It’s probably larger and much thicker/heavier.
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

User avatar
Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Posts: 25067
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:07 am
Name: Brice
Location: FlipVille, SC

Re: New Maurice Lacroix....

Post by Jeep99dad » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:34 am

ericf4 wrote:Agreed. If I were looking I'd save a bit more and get an Ingy for sure. That ML looks like cheap shit IMO. It's the stupid bezel. Image

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
That’s huge and not just a bit more though, Eric
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

User avatar
ericf4
(TBD) Penis
Posts: 14032
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:04 am
Contact:

Re: New Maurice Lacroix....

Post by ericf4 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:57 am

Panerai7 wrote:
bnabod wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:14 am
Dedalus wrote:
bnabod wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:So I tried this on during lunch and I must say it's not horrible on the wrist if you're into that type of watch/case/bracelet. I would say if I liked and had the real thing I'd get this as a beater for ~$1300. 200m WR as well and a screw down crown.

Image

I think it looks decent but would get this instead

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blasphemy to even mention the two in the same sentence. Point taken, but they’re worlds apart.

I know but essentially my recommendation would be to save your dough be a little patient and you can get the IWC for a decent price these days. The IWC can be had for <4 and if one can put down 2k chances are they can plop down 4 eventually. The problem in the theory is that the ML will be super cheap in 1 to 2 years on grey market that paying close to 2k would be insane .
ML reminds me of SAaB, they look good, you can buy it but it is yours for life after that unless you want to be murdered at resale.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok I'll say it again it's THIRTEEN HUNDRED AMERICAN DOLLARS
A bag of dog shit is free, doesn't mean I'd want it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk


User avatar
ericf4
(TBD) Penis
Posts: 14032
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:04 am
Contact:

Re: New Maurice Lacroix....

Post by ericf4 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:59 am

Jeep99dad wrote:
ericf4 wrote:Agreed. If I were looking I'd save a bit more and get an Ingy for sure. That ML looks like cheap shit IMO. It's the stupid bezel. Image

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
That’s huge and not just a bit more though, Eric
They can be had around 3k or more. So twice as much. I guess my point is why the fuck would someone spend any money on something that's "not horrible"...not exactly a ringing endorsement

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk


User avatar
Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Posts: 25067
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:07 am
Name: Brice
Location: FlipVille, SC

Re: New Maurice Lacroix....

Post by Jeep99dad » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:04 am

ericf4 wrote:
Jeep99dad wrote:
ericf4 wrote:Agreed. If I were looking I'd save a bit more and get an Ingy for sure. That ML looks like cheap shit IMO. It's the stupid bezel. Image

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
That’s huge and not just a bit more though, Eric
They can be had around 3k or more. So twice as much. I guess my point is why the fuck would someone spend any money on something that's "not horrible"...not exactly a ringing endorsement

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Say you find a nice use done for 3500$, that’s still almost 3X the 1200$ I can get the ML for brand new with warranty and a better size for many wrists. That IWC you have is way too big for me and many others.
Someone who will spend 1200$ won’t necessarily be able to spend 3-4k or want to either.
As for horrible, it’s a matter of opinion. Some will like it and others won’t. Just like your iwc or an AP or... any watch regardless of price. The fact you don’t like the ML doesn’t make it an absolute horrible watch. To each his own.
I was really focusing on the comparison of the two price-wise and also from a side and wearability.
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

User avatar
ericf4
(TBD) Penis
Posts: 14032
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:04 am
Contact:

Re: New Maurice Lacroix....

Post by ericf4 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:29 am

Jeep99dad wrote:
ericf4 wrote:
Jeep99dad wrote:
ericf4 wrote:Agreed. If I were looking I'd save a bit more and get an Ingy for sure. That ML looks like cheap shit IMO. It's the stupid bezel. Image

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
That’s huge and not just a bit more though, Eric
They can be had around 3k or more. So twice as much. I guess my point is why the fuck would someone spend any money on something that's "not horrible"...not exactly a ringing endorsement

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Say you find a nice use done for 3500$, that’s still almost 3X the 1200$ I can get the ML for brand new with warranty and a better size for many wrists. That IWC you have is way too big for me and many others.
Someone who will spend 1200$ won’t necessarily be able to spend 3-4k or want to either.
As for horrible, it’s a matter of opinion. Some will like it and others won’t. Just like your iwc or an AP or... any watch regardless of price. The fact you don’t like the ML doesn’t make it an absolute horrible watch. To each his own.
I was really focusing on the comparison of the two price-wise and also from a side and wearability.
Correct each their own opinion. But the price doesn't make a watch more attractive aesthetic wise. They already ripped offf an AP design, why ruin it by not also ripping off a decent looking bezel. ;)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk


Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: eddiea, jimyritz, Marjak and 14 guests