Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
dnslater
Name: Nick

Re: Rolex Sport model preowned pricing

Post by dnslater » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:14 pm

logan2z wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:21 pm
This is the sort of thing that continues to keep me away from Rolex. I don't want to have to play games to spend my money on something. I want to walk into an AD, hand him my credit card and walk out with my shiny new watch. A week or two delay if the watch isn't in stock is ok and I obviously expect a longer wait if the watch hasn't started shipping yet. But I'm not prepared to wait years for a regular production piece that's already been released to the market. I prefer to deal with manufacturers who actually have some motivation to sell me something.
I just listened to a Jay Leno interview about why he doesn’t own Ferrari’s. Pretty much the same thing. He wants to be treated like a customer when making a big purchase. Ferrari and Rolex dealers are the same. Treat you like you should be honored to be in their presence and make you jump through hoops and pay way over MSRP for the honor of ownership.

R@cerx
Name: David

Post by R@cerx » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:56 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:14 am
Come on davidsw is everybody’s best friend!
Got my 114060 from David. New, my name on the papers, all the plastic on it and 10% off. Pretty hard to beat seeing how hard these can be to get sometimes. Oh, and he’s very easy to deal with. If an AD wants to sell to him, so be it; but folks can get what they want from him when an AD doesn’t have stock.

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:10 pm

R@cerx wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:56 pm
but folks can get what they want from him when an AD doesn’t have stock.
but isn't part of the reason they don't have stock is because they're all selling to him and the other GM sellers before selling directly to an end user?

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:51 pm

gwells wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:10 pm
R@cerx wrote:
but isn't part of the reason they don't have stock is because they're all selling to him and the other GM sellers before selling directly to an end user?
Precisely

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:18 pm

Stupid question, but if these Rolex watches are in such high demand at the ADs, then why would the dealer risk their status with Rolex by selling to the GM? Just sell directly to your customers. I thought the GM was used by ADs so that they could sell through lots of stock in order to keep their AD status. But if they can move just as much by selling directly to their customer base then... I'm clearly missing something obvious.

R@cerx
Name: David

Post by R@cerx » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:20 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:51 pm
gwells wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:10 pm
R@cerx wrote:
Precisely
I don’t buy from Ad’s, so it doesn’t bother me. Free market economy.

hidden by leaves
Name: Anthony

Post by hidden by leaves » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:38 pm

logan2z wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:18 pm
Stupid question, but if these Rolex watches are in such high demand at the ADs, then why would the dealer risk their status with Rolex by selling to the GM? Just sell directly to your customers. I thought the GM was used by ADs so that they could sell through lots of stock in order to keep their AD status. But if they can move just as much by selling directly to their customer base then... I'm clearly missing something obvious.
Would love to hear the answer to this question also...
Send lawyers, guns and money...

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:45 pm

logan2z wrote:Stupid question, but if these Rolex watches are in such high demand at the ADs, then why would the dealer risk their status with Rolex by selling to the GM? Just sell directly to your customers. I thought the GM was used by ADs so that they could sell through lots of stock in order to keep their AD status. But if they can move just as much by selling directly to their customer base then... I'm clearly missing something obvious.
Because they also buy all the shit that RUSA forces the ADs to buy and can’t sell themselves. They get those at huge discounts and then sell them for a little markup, and that gets them access to the hot shit.

If RUSA wouldn’t force ADs to buy slow moving models, the problem wouldn’t be there.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:09 pm

BacoNoir wrote:
logan2z wrote:Stupid question, but if these Rolex watches are in such high demand at the ADs, then why would the dealer risk their status with Rolex by selling to the GM? Just sell directly to your customers. I thought the GM was used by ADs so that they could sell through lots of stock in order to keep their AD status. But if they can move just as much by selling directly to their customer base then... I'm clearly missing something obvious.
Because they also buy all the shit that RUSA forces the ADs to buy and can’t sell themselves. They get those at huge discounts and then sell them for a little markup, and that gets them access to the hot shit.

If RUSA wouldn’t force ADs to buy slow moving models, the problem wouldn’t be there.
^^
:htfu:

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:27 pm

DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:33 pm

maybe RUSA should stop trying to sell so much of the shite models and shoving them down the AD's throats and focus on manufacturing/selling the ones that are in demand and then the GM would fade a bit and their potential customers wouldn't find them so annoying to deal with.

i'm sure there are business reasons they don't, but it sure would be nice.

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:36 pm

BacoNoir wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:45 pm

I'm not buying it simply because ADs do have shit on the shelves and no SS models while grey dealers don't usually stock shit but have all the desirable models.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:37 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:51 pm

BBK357 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:37 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cool watch. I wonder what good guy davidsw will charge for the first one he snatches out the back door of an AD?

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:40 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
BacoNoir wrote:

I'm not buying it simply because ADs do have shit on the shelves and no SS models while grey dealers don't usually stock shit but have all the desirable models.

I agree. We only see the hot models being sold by the “trusted sellers”. We don’t see purple OP’s or typical Datejusts.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:03 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
BacoNoir wrote:

I agree. We only see the hot models being sold by the “trusted sellers”. We don’t see purple OP’s or typical Datejusts.
It does seem to have slowed down, probably because of the scarcity of the SS sport models - the ADs need something in their cases so they are forced to keep more of the crap these days. Seriously, when’s the last time you walked into an AD and saw SS models you were interested in buying? Five to ten years ago, there were both a good selection of popular SS models and the rest of the stuff.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:21 am

David may get a lot of shit on this board, some of it rightfully so, but he does have the ability to make things incredibly easy if you are someone like me who doesn't care about the "AD experience" and doesn't particularly like to sell high-value (for me) pieces privately. I've bought, sold, and traded with him multiple times and it's been entirely painless and fair. I understand the annoyances with the pricing and perceived gouging with him on some pieces, but really it all goes back to those who provide stock to him in the first place. I guess it's like that old saying, "don't hate the player, hate the game".
- Todd

Denizen

Post by Denizen » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:34 am

If Rolex changed the percentage and produced more sport models and eased up on the insistence of ADs buying the less popular models, it would help availability a little, but the GM and trusted sellers will always be there.

So it goes...

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:07 am

Chocodove wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:21 am
David may get a lot of shit on this board, some of it rightfully so, but he does have the ability to make things incredibly easy if you are someone like me who doesn't care about the "AD experience" and doesn't particularly like to sell high-value (for me) pieces privately. I've bought, sold, and traded with him multiple times and it's been entirely painless and fair. I understand the annoyances with the pricing and perceived gouging with him on some pieces, but really it all goes back to those who provide stock to him in the first place. I guess it's like that old saying, "don't hate the player, hate the game".
Both Andrew and I have had less than wonderful experiences with him. He can charge whatever he wants. I wouldn’t buy from him at 30% below market.

If a private nobody pulled half the shit he did in TRF they would be banned in 30 seconds. Too bad TRF deletes all those threads.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:48 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:07 am
Both Andrew and I have had less than wonderful experiences with him.

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:59 am

Chocodove wrote:
I don't know how he values trades, but if it is anything like the tools at Govberg, then I question why anyone would be willing to sell to him. The #'s they've offered me in the past were way beyond insulting. It amazes me that these guys can get people to sell them watches for 30-40% less than they'd net on eBay.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:02 am

Govbergs trade values are hilarious....They always call me asking if i have anything to trade in and i always tell them they are crazy on their pricing.
Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:07 am

ericf4 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:02 am
Govbergs trade values are hilarious....They always call me asking if i have anything to trade in and i always tell them they are crazy on their pricing.
It took every ounce of restraint to not send back a profanity laced reply when they sent me their offer/pre-paid shipping label.

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:10 am

streetracer101 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:59 am
Chocodove wrote:
I don't know how he values trades, but if it is anything like the tools at Govberg, then I question why anyone would be willing to sell to him. The #'s they've offered me in the past were way beyond insulting. It amazes me that these guys can get people to sell them watches for 30-40% less than they'd net on eBay.
I personally haven't had a bad deal with DavidSW, I was actually speaking about all of those dealers on TRF as a bunch as far as BNIB stickered, open warranty card SS Rolex models go. With used, DavidSW quoted 500-1000 less than a street price obviously for him to recondition the watch a little and sell at a profit. I think anyone who takes trades practices similar pricing model. But I have to say his sales prices are fair (non SS Rolex) and in line with the rest, even sometimes better than others.

However, don't get me started with Govberg - now that's a watch mafia if I've ever seen one. All of their watches for sale are cRazY priced yet they low ball you on a trade like they're buying stolen goods in an alley. I think you'd be better off at a pawn shop. They have hundreds of watches that I suspect are basically new yet they sell them as used at higher prices than you'd get a BNIB with a discount at another AD. Their ass clown Tim on youtube irritates the living crap out of me and I would not buy a bottle of water from him in a desert.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:18 am

streetracer101 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:59 am
Chocodove wrote:
I tend to underprice watches as it is, so it probably affects me less than most, but the two times I've sold/traded with him he came back with numbers within $100-$200 of what I wanted to net on the market. The ease of him sending a label, not niggling over this scratch or that tiny ding, etc. is worth it to me. One time he didn't even need a pic of the watch first. This was before everything exploded, though.

Of course, everyone's mileage may differ.
- Todd