Re: Rolex Sport model preowned pricing

Post by streetracer101 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:32 am

Chocodove wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:18 am
streetracer101 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:59 am
Chocodove wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:21 am
David may get a lot of shit on this board, some of it rightfully so, but he does have the ability to make things incredibly easy if you are someone like me who doesn't care about the "AD experience" and doesn't particularly like to sell high-value (for me) pieces privately. I've bought, sold, and traded with him multiple times and it's been entirely painless and fair. I understand the annoyances with the pricing and perceived gouging with him on some pieces, but really it all goes back to those who provide stock to him in the first place. I guess it's like that old saying, "don't hate the player, hate the game".
I don't know how he values trades, but if it is anything like the tools at Govberg, then I question why anyone would be willing to sell to him. The #'s they've offered me in the past were way beyond insulting. It amazes me that these guys can get people to sell them watches for 30-40% less than they'd net on eBay.
I tend to underprice watches as it is, so it probably affects me less than most, but the two times I've sold/traded with him he came back with numbers within $100-$200 of what I wanted to net on the market. The ease of him sending a label, not niggling over this scratch or that tiny ding, etc. is worth it to me. One time he didn't even need a pic of the watch first. This was before everything exploded, though.

Of course, everyone's mileage may differ.
That seems reasonable to me.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:38 am

Panerai7 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:10 am
streetracer101 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:59 am
Chocodove wrote:
David may get a lot of shit on this board, some of it rightfully so, but he does have the ability to make things incredibly easy if you are someone like me who doesn't care about the "AD experience" and doesn't particularly like to sell high-value (for me) pieces privately. I've bought, sold, and traded with him multiple times and it's been entirely painless and fair. I understand the annoyances with the pricing and perceived gouging with him on some pieces, but really it all goes back to those who provide stock to him in the first place. I guess it's like that old saying, "don't hate the player, hate the game".
I don't know how he values trades, but if it is anything like the tools at Govberg, then I question why anyone would be willing to sell to him. The #'s they've offered me in the past were way beyond insulting. It amazes me that these guys can get people to sell them watches for 30-40% less than they'd net on eBay.
I personally haven't had a bad deal with DavidSW, I was actually speaking about all of those dealers on TRF as a bunch as far as BNIB stickered, open warranty card SS Rolex models go. With used, DavidSW quoted 500-1000 less than a street price obviously for him to recondition the watch a little and sell at a profit. I think anyone who takes trades practices similar pricing model. But I have to say his sales prices are fair (non SS Rolex) and in line with the rest, even sometimes better than others.

However, don't get me started with Govberg - now that's a watch mafia if I've ever seen one. All of their watches for sale are cRazY priced yet they low ball you on a trade like they're buying stolen goods in an alley. I think you'd be better off at a pawn shop. They have hundreds of watches that I suspect are basically new yet they sell them as used at higher prices than you'd get a BNIB with a discount at another AD. Their ass clown Tim on youtube irritates the living crap out of me and I would not buy a bottle of water from him in a desert.
Besides their insulting trade values, they are dishonest.

I was interested in buying a used IWC from them that they had serviced/polished. I was concerned about the polishing job but was reassured by their salesperson that the job was done to factory specs because "we are an authorized repair center for IWC". I had my doubts about this claim because my understanding was that Superior Watch and the Richemont Service Center in Texas were the only authorized IWC repair centers in the US. However, the Govberg site contained this page:

Still skeptical, I contacted the IWC concierge to confirm Govberg's authorized repair status. Here's their reply:

"In regards to your inquiry, there are only two centers authorized to service our timepieces in the United States. Superior Watch Service Center is authorized to work on IWC timepieces outside of warranty and Porsche Design by IWC timepieces. The Richemont Technical Center is authorized to work on all IWC timepieces, and where timepieces under warranty must be sent.

Govberg Jewelers in Ardmore and Philadelphia in Pennsylvania are authorized to sell our timepieces; however, they are not authorized to service them. "

The day after I received this response from IWC the page on the Govberg site claiming IWC authorized repair status was gone.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:51 am

and now WatchUWant is part of Govberg as they bought them...
Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:39 am

I've always had good experiences with DavidSW. I've found his prices to be in line with what other GM dealers charge, and he's very responsive to my inquiries. In the few instances where I've thought his price was higher than market, I've just looked for the watch somewhere else.

It's also true that you won't get the same value on a trade in to him (or any other dealer) as you would by selling it yourself to a third party, but you also don't have to deal with WUS/TRF tire kickers/OCD questioners. It's just easier to sell to him and other established dealers - the trade off is you get less value. In a couple of instances I've had David come in higher on trade in value than some other GM dealers I've dealt with.

While the popular SS Rolex sports model prices have gone through the roof lately, David seems to be pricing them at the same level as other GM dealers. As others have pointed out, this seems to be more a problem with how Rolex and its ADs have chosen to do business. If you want a popular SS model right away, you're going to have to pay at or above MSRP for it. Before this trend, David's prices on most Rolex models were well below retail.

While Rolex has never been an inexpensive buy, the recent upward trend in price across a wide variety of models has kind of taken the fun out of the hobby for me. I had a reasonable chance of purchasing certain models before (e.g. a GMT). Now I can't ever see myself buying them without a major downward price correction that I doubt will ever come.
Last edited by JBZ on Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:40 pm

Speaking of which, someone posted on Rolex forum

hidden by leaves
Name: Anthony

Post by hidden by leaves » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:43 pm

^^

Cool, but they would have to catch a few ADs and revoke their status (or enforce some penalty)for this to have any teeth, I would think. I've never heard of that happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Send lawyers, guns and money...

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:03 pm

Keep the tape and protective stickers? Keep the warranty card? Keep the watch.

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:16 pm

logan2z wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:03 pm
Yeah why not, you're buying a watch to wear right? ;)

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:23 pm

no problem with them keeping stickers....however, keep my warranty card?!? F - that
disclaimer - I have not bought a Rolex form an AD so likely won't impact me, and probably never will if this policy is practiced where I want to purchase

edit: I have bought from David with 0 problems. never sold to him before so that maybe an entirely different story

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:35 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:16 pm
logan2z wrote:
I'm buying it for whatever reason I please. Maybe I'm saving it to give to my son when he graduates. Maybe I'm buying it as an investment and I'm going to leave it in the safe for a few years and want to leave it stickered up. Maybe I'd like the pleasure of unwrapping my new watch myself at home.

Don't make your customers pay for your inability to control your ADs.

The warranty card shenanigans is another level of stupidity altogether.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:43 pm

And I guess you can't call a Rolex AD in another state and buy a watch either. Awesome
:rolleyes:

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:44 pm

logan2z wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:35 pm
Panerai7 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:16 pm
logan2z wrote:
I'm buying it for whatever reason I please. Maybe I'm saving it to give to my son when he graduates. Maybe I'm buying it as an investment and I'm going to leave it in the safe for a few years and want to leave it stickered up. Maybe I'd like the pleasure of unwrapping my new watch myself at home.

Don't make your customers pay for your inability to control your ADs.

The warranty card shenanigans is another level of stupidity altogether.
I get it. Maybe after they weed out those rogue AD's who sell to TRF they'll relax some of these rules. Until I can walk in any AD and get a SS Daytona or BLNR or whatever I want and pay MSRP, I'm all for it though.

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:09 pm

All these shenanigans are doing is make me want a precious metal sub more than a SS model.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

tyd450
Name: Tyler

Post by tyd450 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:25 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:07 am
Chocodove wrote:
Both Andrew and I have had less than wonderful experiences with him. He can charge whatever he wants. I wouldn’t buy from him at 30% below market.

If a private nobody pulled half the shit he did in TRF they would be banned in 30 seconds. Too bad TRF deletes all those threads.
Could you elaborate a little more? Your bad experience and what he pulls on the TRF that gets deleted?

I'm kind of new to this world and had considered using him when I made my first purchase, but I will avoid if there are red flags I don't know about

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:13 am

You can search my post history. I documented some of it in a thread on here. I also got banned on TRF over it.

tyd450
Name: Tyler

Post by tyd450 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:34 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:13 am
You can search my post history. I documented some of it in a thread on here. I also got banned on TRF over it.
Got it, thanks. Wow, that is pretty shitty!