New to the forum.

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Spudee
Name: Brian Tate

New to the forum.

Post by Spudee » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:34 pm

Hi All,

I've just rediscovered my Seiko 6217-8001 dive watch which I purchased during Australian Army service in Malaysia in 1967. Wore it for about 10 years but then was tempted by a new, all bells and whistles Citizen, so the 6217 went into storage. Forty years later, while going through one of my storage crates I saw the watch, pulled it out, gave it a couple of shakes and away it went, good as new. It is in terrific condition, just a few very minor scrapes and scratches. Had it serviced for the first time and it didn't need much work at all, so now it is my daily wearer.

The original Tropic rubber strap broke back when I was first wearing it and I substituted a stainless-steel one. Wanting to get it back as close to original appearance, I purchased a new replica Tropic band and while it would fool most people, it is not exactly like the original. Perhaps I suffer from OCD or am just being pedantic but I would like to try and purchase an original Swiss Tropic band. This is a link to an article about the band. https://www.plus9time.com/blog/2017/2/4 ... opic-strap

I would really welcome any suggestions as to possible sources for an original band.

Many thanks.

Brian

amckiwi
Name: Stu

Re: New to the forum.

Post by amckiwi » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:16 pm

Welcome Brian
Not much help with the strap but a cool story
Where are you at?
Stu in Melb

gonzomantis
Name: Mike

Post by gonzomantis » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:51 am

Welcome! Please post some pics. It isn't often that you see a one owner 6217.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:06 am

Congrats on rediscovering the watch. It is a nice one. Would love to see photos. Of course there are NOS vintage 19mm Tropic straps on EBay but they are often expensive and the material might be stiff and dried out. Uncle Seiko makes some nice reproductions. https://www.uncleseiko.com/store/c5/Rub ... traps.html

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:47 am

Welcome to DWC!

Good luck on your hunt. I believe I have the same band NOS - in silver, which won’t help you, but keep looking, I’m sure you’ll find one
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Spudee
Name: Brian Tate

Post by Spudee » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:52 pm

Thanks everyone for the welcome. I was so pleased to find my old Seiko, especially as I think it cost me a week's pay back in 1967. Stu, I live at Ballina on the far north coast of NSW. Yes, if even I could find an original strap, it might be in pretty fragile condition. Although I do of someone who did find one for his Seiko 6217 as old new stock and from the photos it looks to be in good shape. I would love to post some photos but not sure how. Any suggestions please?