Helson Sharkmaster 300 aka Omega sm300 homage

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Re: Helson Sharkmaster 300 aka Omega sm300 homage

Post by toxicavenger » Thu May 24, 2018 7:50 pm

It was only one guy who kind of had a issue. but when he was asked to state what happened it seemed like he was more of a troll then a legit person with an issue.

Blackdog
Name: Luis

Post by Blackdog » Fri May 25, 2018 6:05 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 7:50 pm
It was only one guy who kind of had a issue. but when he was asked to state what happened it seemed like he was more of a troll then a legit person with an issue.
Well, I've had a case of water ingress on an Omega Seamaster Chrono Diver... Maybe I should start in internet campaign to bash Omega. After all I do think that their customer service in the Benelux is pretty poor... :scream:

Blackdog

Post by Blackdog » Fri May 25, 2018 6:11 am

watches503 wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 11:16 pm
If you write to them nicely, asking if they could please honor previous sales, they always do. However you wanna word it but I know a handful of times that they’ve done. I think they send you a one time use code.
Can't say I didn't try... But no luck with a discount code. However I may not be hit by Customs so hard after all...

I put the order for the Triangle black dial, with date. William told me it will ship tomorrow !

I understand it comes with an additional rubber strap, right ? Is it the Cuda Iso type or the Tropic one ?

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Fri May 25, 2018 6:45 am

It comes with a really decent tropic style strap.

I wear mine mostly on a NATO though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackdog

Post by Blackdog » Mon May 28, 2018 2:50 am

While I wait for mine to come. What would be a good shark mesh bracelet for this watch ? Strapcode ? Something else ?

I seem to recall that there were some issues with the seat-belt style clasp ?

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Helson Sharkmaster 300 aka Omega sm300 homage

Post by BacoNoir » Mon May 28, 2018 3:51 pm

Blackdog wrote:While I wait for mine to come. What would be a good shark mesh bracelet for this watch ? Strapcode ? Something else ?

I seem to recall that there were some issues with the seat-belt style clasp ?
I love my German mesh from Staib. Terry’s seen it in person. Amazing quality.

www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

Blackdog

Post by Blackdog » Thu May 31, 2018 4:53 am

I have just received my big triangle/black. VERY impressed with the quality so far.

I got it on the strap until I get to size the bracelet.

It seems to be serial number 089. Seems like a very low number, what does that mean ? Haven't these been around for some time now ?

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Thu May 31, 2018 9:41 am

Blackdog wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 4:53 am
I have just received my big triangle/black. VERY impressed with the quality so far.

It seems to be serial number 089. Seems like a very low number, what does that mean ? Haven't these been around for some time now ?
No, they've only been released for a couple months at most. They also released 8 variants - big triangle date black, big triangle no date black, 12 date black, 12 no date black, plus the same for blue.

If they made 100 of each variant, that's 800 watches total production and you may have actually received one of the later copies of your variant.

FWIW, I think mine is #10

Blackdog

Post by Blackdog » Thu May 31, 2018 10:35 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 9:41 am
Blackdog wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 4:53 am

No, they've only been released for a couple months at most. They also released 8 variants - big triangle date black, big triangle no date black, 12 date black, 12 no date black, plus the same for blue.

If they made 100 of each variant, that's 800 watches total production and you may have actually received one of the later copies of your variant.

FWIW, I think mine is #10
Thanks for the reply.
I just came home and I'm checking the WR with a wet tester I have.

I think I may be having a leaking crystal gasket. It's not completely conclusive, though. :shrug: Watches with a moving bezel can be pretty tricky on the wet tester...

I will have to take it to a watchmaker to check WR to 10 bar on a dry tester.

For now, let's hope for the best.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Thu May 31, 2018 11:33 am

When you say "wet tester" do you mean the kind of test where you pressurize a chamber half full of water with the watch suspended above it, then lower the watch into the water and depressurize the vessel and look for a stream of bubbles?

If that is the case, then a leak (in my limited experience using these) will appear as a stream of little bubbles, like a balloon deflating slowly under water.

The bubbles from the air trapped in between the case and the bezel assembly will form then eventually stop.

My version of wet testing is to take it into the Atlantic with me. If it leaks or fogs, I'll let Helson fix it under warranty.

Blackdog

Post by Blackdog » Thu May 31, 2018 12:05 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 11:33 am
When you say "wet tester" do you mean the kind of test where you pressurize a chamber half full of water with the watch suspended above it, then lower the watch into the water and depressurize the vessel and look for a stream of bubbles?

If that is the case, then a leak (in my limited experience using these) will appear as a stream of little bubbles, like a balloon deflating slowly under water.

The bubbles from the air trapped in between the case and the bezel assembly will form then eventually stop.

My version of wet testing is to take it into the Atlantic with me. If it leaks or fogs, I'll let Helson fix it under warranty.
Indeed, that's the tester I mean.

The problem is that the bubbles coming from under the bezel can be confusing. A good rule of thumb is to consider the volume of air between the crystal and the dial: it's pretty large in these watches with domed crystals. And then imagine 7 times that volume (if compressed at 7 bar). If the bubbles seen can account for that much volume, then it's a leak. If it is significantly less, then it's just air trapped in the crevices under the bezel.

This is a pretty bulky bezel assembly, and "in principle" I don't think the bubbles I see account for that much air. But to be completely sure I will have someone do an independent test with a different method.

In the end, the only "real" test is to compress under water. This means testing the case sans movement, of course. But this is the only fully dependable way of testing. Basically, the "ocean test" you mention, but in a controlled way. :lol:

caesarmascetti

Post by caesarmascetti » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:25 am

was just in the ocean yesterday with mine surfing with a wet suite still freakin cold:

Blackdog

Post by Blackdog » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:50 am

All is well in the world. No WR problems, the bubbles I was seeing were just air pockets under the bezel.

I am really happy with this watch. This is my first Helson and I am VERY impressed. The overall quality is well above the price-point.

I've had a couple of Steinharts (sold an O1 Legacy, still keep an O1 Bronze), that were also very good quality, but in terms of case machining precision and crispness, this one is a step above.

I really like the bracelet too. It suits the watch well. Visually it’s like a beefed up version of the 1171. The hollow endlinks work perfectly well with the design. Tolerances are tight and there’s no rattle to speak about.

The clasp is a bit long, but quality is also good. The innermost of the three micro adjustment holes is unusable, though. The blade of the diver’s extension is welded to the outer shell at that point, and there’s not enough room for the bracelet connection link to seat properly, making the whole bracelet exit the clasp at an odd angle. The connecting link needs some re-shaping. But this is the only thing I have found that it is not perfect with the watch.

It is an excellent quality modern interpretation of the classic Seamaster300.

The Relumer
Name: DT

Post by The Relumer » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:56 pm

here is a modded sharkmaster with white painted hands then relumed to match the dial colour
i think this is how Helson should offer this watch and not with chrome hands

manitoujoe
Name: Mark

Post by manitoujoe » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:59 pm

....WANT
Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:14 pm

manitoujoe wrote:....WANT
Yes, that works.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy