Incoming - Going Outside My Comfort Zone for Comfort

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
RALAustin
Name: Rob

Incoming - Going Outside My Comfort Zone for Comfort

Post by RALAustin » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:03 am

So, I mentioned in a post on Friday that I had something coming that was both very familiar and way outside my norm. It arrived Saturday while I was out much of the day, but I had a chance to see it and try it out last night and this am, and I am as torn as I was when I bought it. :shrug:

Here it is: the Blancpain Bathyscape 38mm in LE blue.

The first time I saw the BP Bathy Ocean Commitment blue dial I feel in love, but prices were crazy. I actually saw this 38mm in black several years ago in Vegas and thought it was intriguing yet about 2-3mm too small, but as the two Pateks, Daytona and even the Doxa Black Lung get a lot of wear and the bulk of my after work watches are fairly big or heavy (BP Sports - blue and black, DSSD JC, Sinn U1 Pro, EZM 1:1 and Doxa M31), I started thinking again about something smaller for the lake and weekends to go with my No Date Sub that lives on Nato and the Doxa Black Lung, which I think I like best on bracelet for work. The new Seiko SLA017 had the right look, but after getting it in I realized the diameter to height was off for me, especially on a nato.

The BP Bathy has in many ways always been an almost perfect watch for me in terms of my ideal look and comfort (especially in ti), and I have been thinking about the 43mm blue dial ceramic one for a while, but having gone through 3 of the traditional 43mm versions I know that there is just something a little off for me, mainly resulting from the 23mm lugs on a watch that for me screamed out to be worn on a nato. For whatever reason, I like natos on 20mm lug watches, with even 22mm pushing it. For the BP Bathy, the OEM nato strap just never felt right for me and while I had a series of 24mm natos that worked better, they always just felt like too much strap.

With Basel releases coming out, I saw that BP was not going to scratch my itch for a 41mm Bathy with 20mm or 22mm lugs and the ones that intrigued me were the smaller Tudor BB and some other smaller watches, so I came back around to a 38mm Bathy blue that had been lingering on DavidSW's site (I had kept checking to see if he got in the 43mm blue ceramic).

When I first got it out of the box and then on the wrist I was thinking too small, but after getting it on a couple different natos and wearing it last night and this am, I am not sure it is too small. It actually looks fine in pics, my wife thought it looked good and it is insanely comfortable, which was the goal with this watch in the first place. 38mm, just under 11mm thick and the case is 56 grams. Plus, it takes 20mm straps -- looking forward to trying some of my vintage rubber dive straps. I still think this one faces a bit of an uphill battle to stick around if/when something else strikes me and I need trade bait, but as I type this it is starting to look more normal on my wrist, the comfort is off the charts and the blue dial is incredible. I think I will just need to give it a little time and see if I actually grab it out of the box after the novelty wears off.

Some pics on the OEM strap (which like all BP sailcloth straps is just OK), and then natos. Will get some comparisons later.

Rob

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Re: Incoming - Going Outside My Comfort Zone for Comfort

Post by ericf4 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:08 am

Looks damn great. Size be damned. It's funny how we all get caught up in a number when in reality it should matter more what it looks like when on wrist. That looks great man.
Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:13 am

Hers it's bigger brother. How do you like the way the blue dial looks much diff in various light? I love that about it. Can we get a back shot of it? Image

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

Nellipj
Name: Patrick

Post by Nellipj » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:16 am

Rob, 38mm looks great when the lug length is longer like this one. I think it looks great on you. Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goaliechris
Name: Chris

Post by goaliechris » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:39 am

I like it - nice choice! I don’t think it looks too small at all.

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Post by aikiman44 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:39 am

Congratulations, that looks great.
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:49 am

It's hard to say. My watches look enormous in pictures but fine in person. This one looks a little small... so I could see it being pretty tiny in person. Nice watch, but a 38mm diver is a little small.

mikeylacroix
Name: Mike

Post by mikeylacroix » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:00 am

Erm... dibs?

RALAustin

Post by RALAustin » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:55 am

Here are some comparisons with the Doxa Black Lung and the No Date Sub, and then with the two 45mm BP FF Sports. Also, some new pics on the OD green nato and vintage rubber strap. I think these are my two favorite combos so far, but I have several other vintage rubber that work as well. Finally, a pic of the case back for Eric. Hard to beat 300m water resistance and 100 hour power reserve in a 10.77mm thick case.

Definitely small, but since I have median and then big and/or heavy well covered, I like the change of pace for now.

nweash
Name: Nick

Post by nweash » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:05 am

I love it. Nice choice.

gr8sw
Name: Pedro

Post by gr8sw » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:57 am

great looker but 40mm woulda been better imho... why do they all continue to dance around the magic number??
‘I don’t worry about a thing, 'cause I know nothing’s gonna be alright’ Mose Allison

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:22 am

gr8sw wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:57 am
great looker but 40mm woulda been better imho... why do they all continue to dance around the magic number??
I really don't know. What was the first 40mm diver? Subs have been that size for a looooooong time.

bpax
Name: Bill

Post by bpax » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:39 am

Looks great, Rob. Congrats!

Ruggs
Name: Andrew

Post by Ruggs » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:55 am

Looks great! I agree about longer lugs helping make it wear a bit larger

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Post by Steve O. » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:12 am

Looks good on your wrist, but it does appear small in the photos with the others. Wear it and enjoy it. I have several 38mm vintage divers that I wear on a regular basis.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

Denizen

Post by Denizen » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:21 am

Seeing how you already have two FFs in the larger 45mm size and wanted something smaller, this is fine. The Bathys longer lug-to-lug is a plus here.

Short of getting a Mil-spec 40mm, you really don't have many options when you want to go smaller.

It's ironic in a way.

Drster posted on Timezone today that the 45mm FF was a little big and he's had multiple FF's. Then you posted this thread.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:26 am

I'd take this over any FF currently in production:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blancpain-Fift ... 2482035129

Revisiting that design seems like a no-brainer, so of course, it will never happen.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:29 am

I like it and also prefer smaller watches for natos (40mm or less, except for the Speedy which looks awesome in natos). I would not go under 38 for my wrist.

Looks good on your wrist, and if its comfortable then it works!

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

Denizen

Post by Denizen » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:50 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:26 am
I'd take this over any FF currently in production:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blancpain-Fift ... 2482035129

Revisiting that design seems like a no-brainer, so of course, it will never happen.
The 50th Annniversary is beautiful but pricey.

The one in the auction is a one I actually turned down. The seller has some room on the price so hit me up via PM if you are maybe interested in it.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:04 pm

Congrats Rob--nice addition to your collection.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:24 pm

It’s nice to have a smaller option for when you want one. With your collection as is, everything else is just the icing on the cake anyway. This fits in well. Congrats.
- Todd

gr8sw
Name: Pedro

Post by gr8sw » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:40 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:22 am
gr8sw wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:57 am
I really don't know. What was the first 40mm diver? Subs have been that size for a looooooong time.
exactly, Subs were 40mm forever b/c it was the perfect size for most folks... now it's more about making a statement :raised:

luckily, I've saved a bundle passing on watches that I would've considered if they were 40mm :lol:
‘I don’t worry about a thing, 'cause I know nothing’s gonna be alright’ Mose Allison

RALAustin

Post by RALAustin » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:23 pm

So I wore this all day on a couple different straps, and I can first say I really, really wish this was 40mm, but I can also say the size did not "bother" me and it felt fine/normal after a couple hours. I may like it on this vintage rubber even more than the other one.

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:02 pm

That is a gorgeous watch, but the amount of discussion on wether it is too small or not leads me to believe that it may be exactly that: too small ;) Looks great in pics tho!

I only say that as a committed, habitual fliper. That said, I no longer wait more than a few hours to make a decision - if it isn’t right immediately out of the box, it’s “dead watch walking”... ymmv. Good luck!
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Dedalus
Professor J
Name: Jared

Post by Dedalus » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:19 pm

We get so caught up in numbers in this hobby, but at the end of the day it’s all relative anyway. Every single one of us has a differently sized and shaped wrist.

IMO it looks good on you, Rob, and certainly offers something that your other divers can’t. I enjoy wearing my vintage Elgin and the occasional vintage Seiko, sizes varying from 37-38.5mm, and think they wear great. But then I have Wu wrists (as ordained by the man himself during a trade some time back ).

Your hesitation makes me think it mightn’t stick, but looks good to me. Congrats.