Funny article on The Wrist Watch Review

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Funny article on The Wrist Watch Review

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:52 pm

We we're just talking about watch site shills. Funny these dudes said screw shilling https://wristwatchreview.com/2018/03/06 ... vertorial/

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Re: Funny article on The Wrist Watch Review

Post by Ryeguy » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:11 am

Interesting article, but regardless of their claim I believe there is always some potential for biased reviews in the relationship they describe.

If the review site owner anonymously buys the watches they review, only then they can be unbiased.

As many sites rely on the manufacturer to provide a no cost example for review, that in itself sets up a bit too cozy a relationship for a truly unbiased evaluation. The review site needs to continue receiving watches for review, so if they trash a watch it is likely their supply of free watches will dry up.

It would be interesting if reviewers began their review with a brief discription of how they acquired the watch, i.e. "I purchased this watch for review purposes" or " this watch was supplied for review by brand X. It is the fourth brand X watch we have reviewed."

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:56 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:11 am
Interesting article, but regardless of their claim I believe there is always some potential for biased reviews in the relationship they describe.

If the review site owner anonymously buys the watches they review, only then they can be unbiased.

As many sites rely on the manufacturer to provide a no cost example for review, that in itself sets up a bit too cozy a relationship for a truly unbiased evaluation. The review site needs to continue receiving watches for review, so if they trash a watch it is likely their supply of free watches will dry up.

It would be interesting if reviewers began their review with a brief discription of how they acquired the watch, i.e. "I purchased this watch for review purposes" or " this watch was supplied for review by brand X. It is the fourth brand X watch we have reviewed."
Agreed but nothing is full proof. But they are transparent about it like Don is at The Watch Report.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:57 am

Agreed - transparency is key. I think it is good to know if the watch was presented as a no-cost evaluation sample by the brand owner, was provided for review purposes by a friend, or was purchased outright by the reviewer.

Out of curiosity, when a brand owner (micro most likely) sends a sample watch to a blogger, do they normally expect that sample to be returned upon completion of the review?

Personally, I find myself more influenced by the candid conversations we have here and the photos posted on the daily WRUW threads than by focused / "professional" reviews. For example, seeing the handful of guys here pony up their own cash to buy a Monta Triumph has done more to influence my opinion on the brand than any blog review.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:05 am

I think that generally the watches are sent to reviewers temporarily, with the expectation being that the watch will be returned. The brands have a pool of "review watches" and probably allow each reviewer to keep for 1-2 weeks. Jason and James on The Grey Nato often mention this when reviewing watches that they are "borrowing".