WSJ: Is Time Running Out on the Swiss Watch Industry?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
outtatime
Name: Jon

Re: WSJ: Is Time Running Out on the Swiss Watch Industry?

Post by outtatime » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:25 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:51 am
outtatime wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:45 am
So they desperately need to recapture some “young money”, yet they continue to move their prices into the stratosphere to create a false sense of exclusivity that simultaneously puts even their “Entry level” models out of the reach of most “young”individuals?

I think they’re doing it wrong.
Not only are they expensive, they’re hard to buy. So I’m a young big shit guy ready to by my first luxury watch and I walk into Rolex, ask for a basic sub, and am told “we will call you in six months”. That’s not a recipe for getting new buyers.
Truth. Especially when I can order pretty much anything else I’m from amazon and have it tomorrow.

They bitch about Grey and forum dealers, yet they’re moving inventory for them.
Current
Alpina Extreme Diver 300 | Benarus Ti47 | Breitling Avenger Seawolf | Eterna KonTiki Super 1973 | Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic | Hamilton Pan Europ | IWC Aquatimer 2000 | Korsbek Oceaneer | Linde Werdelin The One 2.6 | Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre | Omega Seamaster 300 Titanium | Omega Seamaster 2531.80 | Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow | Panerai 005 | Rolex Deepsea | Steinhart Nav-B 6497 | Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military | Stowa Seatime | Zenith El Primero Stratos

Incoming

Considering
PAM 422 | AP Royal Oak 15400 Silver | Rolex Explorer II 42mm Polar | Omega PO 8500 XL

Sometimes it's easier just to watch

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:29 am

outtatime wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:25 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:51 am
outtatime wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:45 am
So they desperately need to recapture some “young money”, yet they continue to move their prices into the stratosphere to create a false sense of exclusivity that simultaneously puts even their “Entry level” models out of the reach of most “young”individuals?

I think they’re doing it wrong.
Not only are they expensive, they’re hard to buy. So I’m a young big shit guy ready to by my first luxury watch and I walk into Rolex, ask for a basic sub, and am told “we will call you in six months”. That’s not a recipe for getting new buyers.
Truth. Especially when I can order pretty much anything else I’m from amazon and have it tomorrow.

They bitch about Grey and forum dealers, yet they’re moving inventory for them.
I still love watches and will continue to buy them. However, I'm not sure I'd be more than a "one nice watch guy" if I were getting into the hobby now. It was much easier to get into when LNIB Rolex sports models were $3,000-$4,500 for the most part. Someone mentioned the 2254 and Speedy Pro as an example, which was a good one. Another one is Sinn - those used to be dirt cheap.

manitoujoe
Name: Mark

Post by manitoujoe » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:35 am

Yep. Where I work, no one notices watches except as a fashion accessory—like a Michael Kors watch. Mall stuff.

They’ve heard of Rolex but only from the expense, not the quality/pedigree.

I find myself turned off by $2K+ watches myself. But then again, I started about a decade ago when that 2K got me an Omega.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

R@cerx
Name: David

Post by R@cerx » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:38 am

The Apple Watch has done more to get a watch on the wrists of people than the Swiss ever have. Everywhere I look I see them.

snootydog
Jagermaster
Name: Andy

Post by snootydog » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:04 am

What goes around comes around. It's only a matter of time, pun intended :grin:
Take vinyl records and turntable decks for example. It'll just take some clever marketing and you'll see all the youngsters wearing the mechanical watches that Grandpa left them and good mechanical watches will be back in vogue.
Andy :uj:

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:49 am

snootydog wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:04 am
What goes around comes around. It's only a matter of time, pun intended :grin:
Take vinyl records and turntable decks for example. It'll just take some clever marketing and you'll see all the youngsters wearing the mechanical watches that Grandpa left them and good mechanical watches will be back in vogue.
Mechanical watches that Grandpa left them and good mechanical watches will be back in vogue. Think that has all ready happened if you have not noticed vintage watch prices have shot up into the stratosphere since I started collecting vintage watches and it has not stopped.
Look at Hodinkee vintage watch sells sold sold sold more sold than are for sell. I think vintage watches are all ready in vogue. The 1% are the ones who can afford this hobby vintage and the new stuff Rolex and Omega will put out and us who make a lower wage will be priced out.
https://shop.hodinkee.com/collections/vintage-watches

snootydog
Jagermaster
Name: Andy

Post by snootydog » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:01 pm

I think you're right Mike but it's us watch collectors that are buying up and wearing the good vintage mechanical watches and not the average 25 year old that the Swiss watch industry are talking about.
I bought my Speedmaster not because I was an Omega fan or even a fan of mechanical watches. I bought it because I was a big fan of all things NASA and the Apollo astronauts when I was a kid.
I guess we need some modern day heroes wearing affordable mechanical watches from the big Swiss watch makers. :shrug:
Andy :uj: