matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Re: Bremont 2018 new releases

Post by matt.wu » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:56 pm

bedlam wrote:
matt.wu wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:07 am
I really liked Bremont early on, but the main problem is that they haven't continued to evolve and bring anything new to market to justify price.
Unlike the Submariner?

On TZ-UK JP has been chipping brands for not sticking with tried and true designs, and here you chip Bremont for sticking with their tried and true design. The commentariat are hard to please it would seem. :think:

Rolex is also not releasing a new version of the Submariner every year and calling it innovative and brand new. They embrace the sameness and always have, and I can respect that approach.

You can have it both ways though. You can't trumpet your super cool new watch and then unveil something nearly identical.

Nomos, as much as I love the brand, is a big offender here, and I dislike it equally.

As for what JP says, I have no clue, and I find it weird that you expect us to be perfectly aligned when it comes to opinions.

:)
:htfu:

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:03 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:56 pm
bedlam wrote:
matt.wu wrote:
I really liked Bremont early on, but the main problem is that they haven't continued to evolve and bring anything new to market to justify price.
Unlike the Submariner?

On TZ-UK JP has been chipping brands for not sticking with tried and true designs, and here you chip Bremont for sticking with their tried and true design. The commentariat are hard to please it would seem. :think:

Rolex is also not releasing a new version of the Submariner every year and calling it innovative and brand new. They embrace the sameness and always have, and I can respect that approach.

You can have it both ways though. You can't trumpet your super cool new watch and then unveil something nearly identical.

Nomos, as much as I love the brand, is a big offender here, and I dislike it equally.

As for what JP says, I have no clue, and I find it weird that you expect us to be perfectly aligned when it comes to opinions.

:)
No, don't expect you need to align with anyone.

I really like the core design elements of the SM500 and like that they use it as a base for building variants on. That seems to be a pretty reasonable strategy.

I am not down on Bremont for marketing a new release either, even if its an iteration on existing designs. Selling the watches they make is pretty key and not all punters follow things as closely as we do.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:09 pm

bedlam wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:46 pm
matt.wu wrote:
Unlike the Submariner?

Bremont should be "chipped" for making every decent watch they've ever had worse with each update. They're the Omega of the VC backed watch companies.

bedlam

Post by bedlam » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:23 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:09 pm
bedlam wrote:
matt.wu wrote:
Unlike the Submariner?

Bremont should be "chipped" for making every decent watch they've ever had worse with each update. They're the Omega of the VC backed watch companies.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the latest 'retro' SM. It is straying into fashion watch territory IMO, just like Omega did with the SM300.

It will likely sell well in the current market but is a step down in terms of a being a functional dive watch.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:26 pm

bedlam wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:23 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:09 pm
bedlam wrote:
matt.wu wrote:
Unlike the Submariner?

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the latest 'retro' SM. It is straying into fashion watch territory IMO, just like Omega did with the SM300.

It will likely sell well in the current market but is a step down in terms of a being a functional dive watch.
Agreed. These brands, even Rolex, don't really make watches for me anymore. Rolex tried with the ceramic SD but it was a failure. The market speaks, I guess.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:27 pm

One of the biggest reasons I never tried an original S500 is the lack of lume on the seconds hand. Stuff like that is a dealbreaker for me on “dive” watch. I realize that they are all just jewelry at this point, but that’s the line for me.
- Todd

bedlam

Post by bedlam » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:12 pm

Chocodove wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:27 pm
One of the biggest reasons I never tried an original S500 is the lack of lume on the seconds hand. Stuff like that is a dealbreaker for me on “dive” watch. I realize that they are all just jewelry at this point, but that’s the line for me.
It's in the ISO for sure, but in my entire dive career I have never once needed a lumed seconds hand. If its dark you have a torch and a back-up light and you can easily see the seconds hand moving across the other lumed hands anyway (to know the movement is still running). A fully indexed bezel is far, far, far, more important to the function of a dive watch but people let that go all the time.

I would prefer the hand was lumed (not a deal breaker though).

raf42
Fister
Name: Rob

Post by raf42 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:45 pm

I agree, second hand should be lumed and an irritation with the SM500, though not a deal beaker for me. It absolutely should have one, the S2000 did, and subsequent "supermarines" do (other design pluses/minuses aside).

All that said, I find the lumed second hand argument a bit polarizing. Yep, absolutely it should be. But from a practical perspective (and I spend a lot of time "using" lume), of all my watches, after just a few minutes, it's practically impossible to see the lume on the second hand on any of them due to the small surface area, tiny lume portion, lume layers, whatever. Rest of the watch may be glowing like the sun, but finding the seconds hand after a couple of minutes is not easy. I don't buy the "cant tell if the watch is running" argument for a lumed second hand because while a agree it's a perfect standard, it does not work that way in the real world under real conditions.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:02 pm

I really have no rational argument for a lumed seconds hand for my purposes other than I like to see it when I wake up in the middle of the night and check the time :).

Then again, I also don’t wear leather straps on divers even though I think it can look great. I know it’s a weird quirky thing that doesn’t make a whole lot of sense, but that’s just me :lol:

- Todd

mattjmcd
Name: Matt

Post by mattjmcd » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:16 pm

dinexus wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:46 pm
I'd fuck with this tho.

Ditto. I’ve never liked the day/date with the obnoxious surround on the older Suoermarine. This watch fixes that. I still think that the best watches they make are the MB series.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:49 pm

The S501 is definitely one of my current favorites.
:htfu:

Dynamite_Kid19

Post by Dynamite_Kid19 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:09 am

Always liked their offerings. The limited with pieces of history are always cool.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mikeylacroix
Name: Mike

Post by mikeylacroix » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:55 am

Dynamite_Kid19 wrote:Always liked their offerings. The limited with pieces of history are always cool.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Literally pieces

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:40 am

matt.wu wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:49 pm
The S501 is definitely one of my current favorites.
Yep, is the best looking one of the new bunch. Still would prefer the original S500 with date only or no date in blue or mint green.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko