General watch talk.
SilverDoxaWi69
Name: SilverDoxaWi

DOXA Orange sub 200 pro info request

Post by SilverDoxaWi69 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:52 pm

3A259863-BB9F-4F36-B151-04717528F201.jpeg
Greetings to all,
My Provenance,
Approximately 1972 I purchased dive equipment in a dive shop in Dayton, Ohio including a
D O X A
T.GRAPH
SUB 200
professional,
Orange face
Dive Watch number on the back
28799-4

I used this watch while diving in Ohio, USA; Tobermory, Ontario; Florida, Atlantic side and Gulf side; Gulf of (SIAM) Thailand; Finally Italy,Adriatic. Also it was worn when snorkeling everywhere I found water including rivers.

While visiting Switzerland in 1975 I tried to find a DOXA dealer but was unsuccessful. After returning to USA I took my DOXA to a watch repairman and was told they could not service my watch because of the pressure inside. So I shelved it till now 46 years later I read that DOXA was back in business.

Mine works some but I need to get an idea of value to determine if getting it repaired is cost effective.

One oddity the wristband is DOXA BUT SAYS 300 and that is the way it came. Sorry no box or manual.

Thank You in advance for your assistance.
Silvertip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dedalus
Professor J
Name: Jared

Re: DOXA Orange sub 200 pro info request

Post by Dedalus » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:23 pm

Definitely worth getting it repaired/serviced. Just don’t replace/restore/refinish any original parts (unless movement parts). You won’t get a valuation here, but an internet search should yield plenty of information.
Welcome to DWC

Dedalus
Professor J

Post by Dedalus » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:23 pm

Definitely worth getting it repaired/serviced. Just don’t replace/restore/refinish any original parts (unless movement parts). You won’t get a valuation here, but an internet search should yield plenty of information.
Welcome to DWC

Dedalus
Professor J

DOXA Orange sub 200 pro info request

Post by Dedalus » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:25 pm

There’re some very knowledgeable vintage Doxa guys here who might be able to steer you in the right direction. 🧐

SilverDoxaWi69

Post by SilverDoxaWi69 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:28 pm

Thank You Dadelus for the reply. I checked for values with ebay and other auctions. Most comments about value were years old or special owners. I am not a famous person. Other values were on other types and styles and mostly re-issues but none a DOXA T Graph 200 professional from the 1970's. Well hopefully someone might know what the current values. Mine still works but could use a trusted cleaning etc.

Again Thank You

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:31 pm

The watchmaker you took it too didn't know what he was talking about. Or I think he was saying he doesn't have a way to pressure test it after the service.

This watch is definitely worth servicing. And it isn't that hard to service.

SilverDoxaWi69

Post by SilverDoxaWi69 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:46 pm

Thanks toxicavenger. I am planning on contacting DOXA directly.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:53 am

Any competent watchmaker who works on vintage chronograph watches can work on these. Could not work on it due to pressure inside there no dam pressure inside to prevent taking the case back off some watchmaker did not know what he was doing. If you need a watchmaker who works on vintage chronographs I can send you a PM of one and you can contact them and get a quote or about how muck it mite cost things change if they find stuff during service chronograph service are not cheap due to there complicated to work on. And these are very valuable watches today do a search on Ebay of past sells. And what Dedalus said is true only movement parts replaced if needed us vintage collector like it original the patina of age is value. The weird thing about Doxa dive watches the crystal is stepped the watchmaker could not find a crystal for it Mike our resident Doxa collector told me to glue two different size crystal together with UV glue it's clear with that type of glue no bubble's between the glass told my watchmaker to do it and it worked a perfect fit only got a Doxa 300T sharkhunter in my collection vintage watches can be tricky to work on.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:44 am

There worth some serous dollars some thing you should read the ebay seller had it listed for $17,850 looks like from the ebay link in the article it sold off ebay so the price was a lot lower most likely than the asking price.
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/bring ... ember-2017

SilverDoxaWi69

Post by SilverDoxaWi69 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:16 am

River Rat - Thank You for the reply and referral articles.

First i have tried to do my due diligence and research about my DOXA. Looking for auctions of DOXA watches like my vintage 200 T became frustrating. Their were many other numbered watches which were newer releases and older watches. The Gene Cernan Doxa i did see the article but he is special. After reading about how few were made of the 200 T professional and the reestablishment of DOXA as a company i thought i would reach out here for direction.

I may have misstated the watch repairman's remarks. Now as i recall back in the 80's the repairman i contacted said he did not have the equipment to replace the helium and pressure test for use in diving. Thank you for helping me to recall.

The referral to the article with the link to the ebay sale of a T200 Sharkhunter. It appears looking at the ebay posting listing the sale ended at $17,850 in 2017. That is great information. Thank You so very much.

My watch works when i wind it and the stop watch works. So contacting DOXA will be my next step to have my watch looked at properly. I am sure your warch repairman would be very good. My DOXA can certify my watch and document it for me.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:31 pm

Doxa don't touch there vintage stuff they mite of just bought the name and recreated there vintage designs there kind of what we call a boutique brand now. Use a independent watchmaker who knows how to work on vintage.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:44 pm

SilverDoxaWi69 wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:46 pm
Thanks toxicavenger. I am planning on contacting DOXA directly.
The new Doxa company is different from the one who produced your watch. You would be better of not using them since I dont' think they work on vintage time pieces.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:20 pm

I would love to buy that watch. :lol:
:htfu:

SilverDoxaWi69

Post by SilverDoxaWi69 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:29 pm

Wow i have been doing follow up due diligence to help find a basic value to help me decide how to to invest in servicing my wee lil' Doxa.
It looks like i have to get the book "The Complete Price Guide to Watches by Tom Engle, Richard E. Gilbert and Cooksey Shugart,
published by Tinderbox Press of Mt Pleasant, SC, USA "and i sure hope there is info in the book.
I visited hodinee, bringaloupe, ebay, and so many more and my head is spinning.
I can not seem to find anything relatively recent. Going back to 2007, 2008, even watchuseek, ebay 2016 list a closed sale...
See...attachment. Yet nothing for an Orange face 200 T Graph professional from 1972.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:43 pm

I guess I don't why you need a price assessment of the watch to invest in the service. Either get it serviced or don/t. Investment has nothing to do with it unless you are trying to sell it.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:03 pm

The (The Complete Price Guide to Watches) trash when it comes to wristwatch prices they under value them. But they are right on when it come to pocket watches the book is authored by pocket watch collectors that have no clue on vintage wristwatches. If I could get the price it says a vintage Rolex submariner is worth I would buy it in a heartbeat and make out like a bandit. You will be wasting your money on that book. I only used that book on pocket watch pricing when I use to sell pocket watches at NAWCC marts but I laughed my ass off when I saw what they say rare vintage wrist watches are worth maybe a trick since the authors have shops and sell on fleabay so they can buy cheap and then sell high in there shops and fleabay because vintage wristwatches are were the money is at pocket watches the price has been they same for over 20 years were the prices have really never went up.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:16 pm

Some one got a deal hear dam I would of bought it for that price.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-VINTAGE-D ... 7675.l2557

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:19 pm

This will give you a idea the value of one serviced and perfect condition he does have or best offer so mite of sold lower than the asking price.
http://chronocentric.com/forums/chronot ... d;id=36142
4850 USD OBRO on this one fully serviced so with a 500 investment for service a 4350-3500 profit
Last edited by River Rat on Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SilverDoxaWi69

Post by SilverDoxaWi69 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:19 pm

Since i am retired, not rich, and my wife manages the fixed income with me (we're partners) has to be convinced that it is worth getting it serviced especially if it is over $500.00. I understand your query as to why i need a value. Sorry.

I guess i can put it away again. I won't just let anyone other the your recommended person. Thanks for the help.

River Rat thanks again for the analysis of the book. Again i could have fallen into a trap without your information.

Keith

SilverDoxaWi69

Post by SilverDoxaWi69 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:24 pm

P.S. here is the last poster i found....

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:34 pm

SilverDoxaWi69 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:19 pm
Since i am retired, not rich, and my wife manages the fixed income with me (we're partners) has to be convinced that it is worth getting it serviced especially if it is over $500.00. I understand your query as to why i need a value. Sorry.
I totally understand that.

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Post by Steve O. » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:10 pm

Sorry to be blunt, but it's not rocket science. The watch is a very collectible one owner piece worth a good deal of money. Maybe not vintage Rolex money, but well worth the investment of a complete service if you can afford it.
Last edited by Steve O. on Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

amckiwi
Name: Stu

Post by amckiwi » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:40 pm

Maybe look to sell it with full disclosure that it needs a service

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:00 am

Sent you a PM about options what to do or not to do.

SilverDoxaWi69

DOXA Orange sub gone this June

Post by SilverDoxaWi69 » Tue May 29, 2018 1:05 pm

Thank you for all your guidence and help on my vintage Doxa T-Graph Sub-200 professional. Christie's has agreed to auction my DOXA T-GRAPH SUB 200 professional (orange face) serial numbers 6675300 and what appears to be production number 28799-4 on the watches back.

Christies June Online Auction
Christie's Watches Online: Summer Watch Series 7 - 21 Jun

Well I have been convinced now is the time to sell/Auction my DOXA T-Graph Sub 200 professional dive watch that i purchased in 1971. Although it is hard to let a lifesaving part of your life go I have decided after your help, my research and review that now is the time to sell/Auction. Since it has been secured in a safe place since 1975 I believe it is time for it to see the light of day.

With Respect to All,
Keith