Garmin & US Navy

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Garmin & US Navy

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:33 am

Apparently an EA18G Growler was about 60 miles south of Seattle and their high tech aircraft electronics took a major shit. The two-man crew used their issued Garmin Fenix 3 smartwatches to navigate home to NAS Whidbey Island.

http://flip.it/JWeOy5

Captdave
Name: Dave

Re: Garmin & US Navy

Post by Captdave » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:29 am

All without drawing a penis in the sky that’s pretty cool but from that altitude you could see NAS Whidbey from their location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:29 am

All without drawing a penis in the sky that’s pretty cool but from that altitude you could see NAS Whidbey from their location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:00 am

Maybe it's about time the US Navy train officers and any enlisted who do navigation as part of there job to do navigation the old fashion way how do you think WW2 bomber pilots found there target and found there way home. What if a major power like Russia all ready has a plan to take out the satellites that do the GPS if they go to war with us. Dam most of our weapon systems use GPS we would be in the shits in a big way and I bet the Russians have weapons that don't depend on GPS. Any body remember those US Navy Patrol Boats that drifted into Iranian waters and got captured we were lucky they let them go why because the dip shits did not know were they were if it was a crew from the 1990's we would of known were we were drifting to put a tow line on the broken down patrol boat with the one patrol boat that had power and towed it and got out of harms way . We were taught old navigation with compass and charts back in the 1980's-1990's some thing they don't do today. I also heard for a while the US Navy Academy stopped teaching old fashion navigation.

charger02
Name: Zach

Post by charger02 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:44 am

River Rat wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:00 am
Maybe it's about time the US Navy train officers and any enlisted who do navigation as part of there job to do navigation the old fashion way how do you think WW2 bomber pilots found there target and found there way home. What if a major power like Russia all ready has a plan to take out the satellites that do the GPS if they go to war with us. Dam most of our weapon systems use GPS we would be in the shits in a big way and I bet the Russians have weapons that don't depend on GPS. Any body remember those US Navy Patrol Boats that drifted into Iranian waters and got captured we were lucky they let them go why because the dip shits did not know were they were if it was a crew from the 1990's we would of known were we were drifting to put a tow line on the broken down patrol boat with the one patrol boat that had power and towed it and got out of harms way . We were taught old navigation with compass and charts back in the 1980's-1990's some thing they don't do today. I also heard for a while the US Navy Academy stopped teaching old fashion navigation.

Ok old man. Hope no one walks on your lawn either while listening to their daggum rap music. If the Ruskies do target all our satellites we can track you down so you can train the force with your compass and charts.......ala Battleship.

I would be curious as to what the investigation, thankfully both the pilot and NFO are ok.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:42 am

charger02 wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:44 am
River Rat wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:00 am

Ok old man. Hope no one walks on your lawn either while listening to their daggum rap music. If the Ruskies do target all our satellites we can track you down so you can train the force with your compass and charts.......ala Battleship.

I would be curious as to what the investigation, thankfully both the pilot and NFO are ok.
'
This It's a figment of my imagination Fake News if they cheat in the Olympics that's state run they do any thing to win even in War I remember Russian bear bomber aircraft there version of the B-52 following us around at sea and Russian spy trawlers out side of Guam when ever our ship left port they are not our friends. Best thing I ever saw was a Russian Victor class sub run over by the USS Kitty Hawk a carrier and it had to be towed back to Russia were it came from we were doing a fleet exercise off the coast of Korea when this happened the stupid shit should of not popped up and try to play tag with a aircraft carrier.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_U.S. ... l_incident
https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2015/1 ... ack-fears/
https://www.hindustantimes.com/world-ne ... nh52I.html

Here is one of my old unit and we never used GPS I rememeber one training patrol were we left SBU22 base in New Orleans navigated out of the locks of the mississippi river navigated the gulf of mexico to the Mobil river in Alabama with one fuel up at Golf Port Mississippi on small patrol boats PBR's and MATC's and no site of land at point's all with out GPS I bet you could not find your way out of a wet paper bag with out GPS if you were lost.
http://www.warboats.org/SBU11.htm

And from the first link of the Iranian incident
According to the Fars News Agency on January 26, “the American ships were ‘snooping’ around in Iranian waters,” on the basis of the sailors’ GPS data collected by the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Navy.[9] On January 29 Fars News Agency stated “it was proved that the US marines had strayed into Iranian waters only due to the failure of their navigation devices and equipment.” [18]
To much dependence on this GPS shit the old way of doing navigation don't fuck you up.
Still got this stuff from a course I took at Camp Parks by the US Army were they had these cement blocks with letters on this large hill and you had to find them with just a compass wonder if they still train them to use a compass for land navigation. And also how to do fire support coordination from a map. You screw up it lands on you.

Nomadz
Name: Nick

Post by Nomadz » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:50 pm

Mike I think the Lenticular Compass and Map are still completely operational. No matter whether your operating on the GPS,Galileo,GLONASS or BeiDou system, GPS can shit the bed at any time. I have flown into NASWI Whidbey many times. An IFR (I follow Rivers :) )approach is hardly complex. I am sure they were wearing the Garmins but i doubt they were a factor in the wheels down achievement.
" The sunshine bores the daylights outta me......"