Your FITBIT and your safety

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Grahamcombat
Name: Graham

Your FITBIT and your safety

Post by Grahamcombat » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:48 pm

U.S. soldiers are revealing sensitive and dangerous information by jogging - The Washington Posthttps://apple.news/ANuuMAQXOT3iALcpiX1ExJA

bedlam
Name: Carl

Re: Your FITBIT and your safety

Post by bedlam » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:59 pm

I'm amazed how many people are happy to give corporations all this data on their personal habits and movements. Between Fitbit and Facebook they have your life mapped.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:22 am

^^^Another reason I use neither.

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:42 am

Add to that Alexa and her family and smart TV's.....I mean why wouldn't I want active listening devices throughout my home recording and sending my conversations to the highest bidder either the Feds or Advertisers or both

We don't have to worry about our houses being bugged - we do the work for them.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:43 am

Pretty easy to simply get a GPS watch so you know your distance and simply don't sync it to the internet.

Sidheguitarist
Man of many calibers.
Name: Michael

Post by Sidheguitarist » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:38 am

How do people still not know this is happening when they use apps like this? Amazing, really.

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Name: Jeff

Post by jswing » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:58 am

Hmmm, I wear a fitbit. I'm not sure I'm concerned with anyone knowing how much exercise I do, or where I hiked this morning. I can see an issue with the Strava app potentially projecting military activity, but as an individual user, I don't see the harm. That said, I don't have an Alexa, my smart tvs are not connected to the internet, and I don't participate in any social media beyond a couple watch forums.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:30 am

My wife loves her Echo (Alexa), but I see it as more of a gadget than any real beneficial technology.

The exception to this is for my friend who is blind. She has her Echo hooked up to her "smart house" so she can change her thermostats (how else is a blind person supposed to set room temp? A question I hadn't thought of before) and change the TV channels, listen to music, etc.

The FitBit stuff is interesting. I'm actually shocked the US military / Intelligence community allows personnel to wear transmitting devices such as this. It seems it would be fairly simple to identify clandestine locations by tracking these personnel movements (especially in places where fitness trackers aren't popular in the local community, i.e. Mogadishu).

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:38 am

It depends on how you have them set. You can set them to share information only with people you have accepted as connections or to the general public. They also allow you to do a delayed start / stop so it does not show the exact location where you start/stop from (house).
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

dinexus
Name: Zach

Post by dinexus » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:22 am

bedlam wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:59 pm
I'm amazed how many people are happy to give corporations all this data on their personal habits and movements. Between Fitbit and Facebook they have your life mapped.
If you have an iPhone, don't they already know? It's not like we can be selective about which movements we share – in this day and age, unless you're fully off the grid and still using a flip phone, chances are you're already broadcasting everything.

gonzomantis
Name: Mike

Post by gonzomantis » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:24 pm

dinexus wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:22 am
bedlam wrote:
If you have an iPhone, don't they already know? It's not like we can be selective about which movements we share – in this day and age, unless you're fully off the grid and still using a flip phone, chances are you're already broadcasting everything.
I'm (still) using a flip phone. :mrgreen:

I miss my Nokia. AT&T made me "upgrade" in 2017 because they didn't support 2G service anymore. :crybaby:

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:04 pm

You don't need FITBIT to follow you most of you got cell phones they all got GPS those follow you every were and more exact than FITBIT

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:10 pm

At my work location you can't use any of that shit. But we still have the dumbasses who still try to bring them into the building.

manitoujoe
Name: Mark

Post by manitoujoe » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:01 pm

Lol me too. Instant termination because it’s an online bank. But it still happens.

One of the many reasons I will never own a smart watch. Or whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

bedlam

Post by bedlam » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:45 pm

dinexus wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:22 am
bedlam wrote:
Don't have an iPhone. I don't use Facebook much anymore, and if I do its via the web rather than their app. Turned off location services on the phone and individually removed location permissions for all apps. Maps history is off. I use Signal and WhatsApp for encrypted text messaging.

I like convenience as much as anyone but won't buy it with my privacy. I have no doubt I can easily be tracked if ever I was a person of interest, but I'm not going to hand over personal info to every company who wants it without at least some semblance of resistance :bootyshake:

bedlam

Post by bedlam » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:51 pm

The other thing that amazes me is people willing to have an always-on internet-connected microphone in their home. Are you kidding me??

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:51 pm

Ten years ago there were several commercially available “apps” that would remotely activate a cellphone mic and/or camera, clone calls & texts, and track the device.

With that in mind, one can only imagine what is available now, especially to the government.

I have three Echo’s and turn off the microphone on each unless I’m actively using it. I like hearing my SiriusXM channels while getting ready in the morning or laying in bed before starting my day. I don’t like how “Alexa” is triggered by words on the TV that sound nothing like “Alexa”. This is the case even when I change the wake word to “Echo”.

Tech is great, but knowing how to use it is important.

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:19 am

Not that I’m interested in these devices anyway, but they’re not allowed in my line of work.

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:55 am

bedlam wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:51 pm
The other thing that amazes me is people willing to have an always-on internet-connected microphone in their home. Are you kidding me??
I think a lot of regular people just really don't care if they are being tracked or listened too. I don't have an Echo or any of those devices, but I don't work in national security and don't really give much thought to people tracking my location. Figure I have enough to worry about with more tangible things.

bedlam

Post by bedlam » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:21 am

dnslater wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:55 am
bedlam wrote:
I think a lot of regular people just really don't care if they are being tracked or listened too. I don't have an Echo or any of those devices, but I don't work in national security and don't really give much thought to people tracking my location. Figure I have enough to worry about with more tangible things.
Privacy isn't tangible?

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:56 am

bedlam wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:21 am
dnslater wrote:
bedlam wrote:
Privacy isn't tangible?
Didn't say that. Said more worried about "more" tangible things. Work, family, etc... I worry a lot less about Apple knowing what route I am taking home from work.

KidKeith
Name: KidKeith

Post by KidKeith » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:28 am

I'm not sure how civilian safety is an issue here. Active military in "secret" bases shouldn't use them, but civilians? Who cares? Your phone tracks your movement all the time and has your finger print and has facial recognition tech. If you're a civilian worried about security, the Fitbit on your wrist should be the least of your worries.

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:59 am

One of the worst things about fitbits etc is that there is no authentication, they'll connect to any fitbit usb dongle to upload their data.

Somewhat recent exploit where a payload uploaded to a fitbit can then transfer once connected to a computer for charging.
https://www.engadget.com/2015/10/21/fit ... erability/

Most people's price to give up their privacy for security is incredibly low, I remember reading an article a few years ago where people chose a free version of an app that invaded their privacy over a paid version that protected it for something like $2.

I believe that people are becoming a bit more aware, but it's going to take time. And when you think of the average person and how much faith you'd place in them making smart decisions, maybe a long time.
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

Sidheguitarist
Man of many calibers.
Name: Michael

Post by Sidheguitarist » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:39 am

OT, but, did y’all hear about the guys who stole a buncha Berettas from UPS? One would think that career urban yutes smart enough to get insider shipping tips would also be smart enough to leave their cell phones at home...

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2 ... rities-say

Six hundred .380-caliber handguns and 54 12-gauge shotguns had been stolen from the Beretta shipment. Also missing from the UPS lot were a pallet of Justin boots, power tools and 12 cases of soda.

Investigators learned the next day that a box truck had been stolen from a Springfield moving company; that truck was located in Seagoville in early November. Authorities also used cellphone-tower records to link five North Texas men to the theft: Quinton Haywood, 26, of Glenn Heights; Keith Lowe, 28, of Dallas; Frank McChriston, 33, of Ponder; Derrick White, 32, of Arlington; and Eric White, 26, Arlington.

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:10 pm

dnslater wrote:
bedlam wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:21 am
dnslater wrote:
bedlam wrote:
Privacy isn't tangible?
Didn't say that. Said more worried about "more" tangible things. Work, family, etc... I worry a lot less about Apple knowing what route I am taking home from work.
If we were truly worried about privacy we’d rescind the patriot act and all of the invasive practices it authorizes as well as the “secret courts” that are allowed to issue warrants with out any accountability. We’d also not repatriate citizens from foreign. countries by kidnapping them and we wouldn’t hold people in “detention centers” with out trials indefinitely. That’s just for starts if we were as a society really interested in our collective privacy and our rights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.