How is Aquadive these days?
Better than Kobold I’m sure..

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Re: Kobold article on Time Zone

Post by Steve O. » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:41 am

Seppia wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:56 pm
This is a recent exchange on a WUS thread regarding their latest "effort".
It is very explicative of MKII recent way of doing business.

Who the hell waits one, two or eight freakin' years for a watch (or anything) that they'e put money down on? I read these comments about MKII watches and wonder what makes them so special that people do this. Guess I just don't get it.

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:13 am

no watch is worth that.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:25 am

Steve O. wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:41 am
Seppia wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:56 pm
This is a recent exchange on a WUS thread regarding their latest "effort".
It is very explicative of MKII recent way of doing business.

Who the hell waits one, two or eight freakin' years for a watch (or anything) that they'e put money down on? I read these comments about MKII watches and wonder what makes them so special that people do this. Guess I just don't get it.
I spend approximately $5 a day on coffee. If I saved that up for 8 years ($14,600) I could buy a vintage Rolex diver in great condition (matte 16800 with box and paper and have thousands left over, or add a few bucks and get a loose red sub). These people are insane to wait 8 years for a MIC knock off.

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Re: Kobold artical on Time Zone

Post by andrema » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:39 am

snoballz wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:19 pm
matt.wu wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:13 pm
Wow. An "official" TZ article about it.

Pretty disappointing. The watches are great. I'm feeling a little more serious about the fact that we should group buy-out that brand.
Yo, yo, yo!!! It's been a very long time since I've last been on this forum let alone many other watch related forums. Good to see some of the old kats are still around! In any event, I just got wind of the TZ post and figured there would be some chatter here.

I feel you Wu... there have been some incredible watches from Kobold. I had several Kobold watches at one time including...

I also saw MK's Instagram posts as he tried to control the narrative. Not a good look! It only supports the TZ article with more of those "look at me" posts on IG.

I know some here are very close to MK and thought they'd share their insight hence why I came lookin' here. I'm sure those folks really close to MK and the brand will be silent or distance themselves. :raised:

Be well!
-luke
LUKE!

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:21 am

andrema wrote:
snoballz wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:19 pm
matt.wu wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:13 pm
Wow. An "official" TZ article about it.

Pretty disappointing. The watches are great. I'm feeling a little more serious about the fact that we should group buy-out that brand.
Yo, yo, yo!!! It's been a very long time since I've last been on this forum let alone many other watch related forums. Good to see some of the old kats are still around! In any event, I just got wind of the TZ post and figured there would be some chatter here.

I feel you Wu... there have been some incredible watches from Kobold. I had several Kobold watches at one time including...

I also saw MK's Instagram posts as he tried to control the narrative. Not a good look! It only supports the TZ article with more of those "look at me" posts on IG.

I know some here are very close to MK and thought they'd share their insight hence why I came lookin' here. I'm sure those folks really close to MK and the brand will be silent or distance themselves. :raised:

Be well!
-luke
LUKE, I am your father!
:grin: I always like a family reunion.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:23 am

Hypothetically of course, if you were to give Bill Yao $1500 for a watch 8 years ago, and he were to invest it in an IRA, he would have nearly $4,500 today.

Hypothetically, of course.

Hypothetically if he took 100 pre-orders per year................

Jcp311
Name: Jeremy

Post by Jcp311 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:47 am

gwells wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:11 pm
i think the list is relatively short, but there definitely are a bunch of solid micros out there. halios, farer, oak and oskar, aegir, crepas, scurfa, magrette, to name a few. i don't like all of their offerings, but they have a good rep for quality to price ratio. i still think monta's entry into the microbrand world was a bit sketchy, but may be softening.
The more I look at Monta the more I like the look of their stuff. For the money it looks like you get more than what you pay for in the details. Halios is probably my favorite though.

On a note about CREPAS/Tactico, the Anko was an unmitigated disaster for them. I sent back 3 or 4 watches before they sent me one I think belonged to one of the owners that didn't have any of the issues the others had, but was clearly in used condition. It was a poorly engineered watch from the get go and they got screwed with a lot of bad product from whoever made it for them. They were as frustrated as I was with the watch and were gracious throughout the process.
Way too many watches

Bradystraps
Name: Todd

Post by Bradystraps » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:13 pm

Graeme wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:57 am
Bradystraps wrote:Holy sheet. Bury this thing already. The whole Kobold fairytale ordeal is so stale at this point.
Let's focus our energy towards other macro and micro brands that deserve the attention.
Thanks but as a micro I don't want this kind of attention. Image

I don't have a problem with this thread, it is interesting to read about the train wreck of a more well known micro brand.

I do have a problem with all these new brands popping up daily on Kickstarter with cheap catalogue cases with cheaper dials and hands. These are the brands that give us a bad name. Mike might have been a con man be at least he designed some nice original watches.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Love your designs, Graeme. And I hear you! Keep doing what you are doing. :cheers:

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:33 pm

dnslater wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:23 am
Hypothetically of course, if you were to give Bill Yao $1500 for a watch 8 years ago, and he were to invest it in an IRA, he would have nearly $4,500 today.

Well, hypothetically, he would have spent it on a vacation and not bought parts with the cash :thumbsup:

gwells

Post by gwells » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:34 pm

dnslater wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:23 am

i think i need to invest in your 401k if you're getting a 200% return in 8 years.

Seppia
Name: Andrea

Post by Seppia » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:39 pm

A vanilla s&p500 index fund has had somewhere in the neighborhood of 250% returns since 2009 iirc

Seppia
Name: Andrea

Kobold article on Time Zone

Post by Seppia » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:43 pm

Give or take....Image

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:16 pm

Seppia wrote:Give or take....Image
To be fair, most investors had money in the market prior to then and it was decimated during the recession. A lot of those gains just helped bring people back to their pre-recession levels.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

gwells

Post by gwells » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:47 pm

pasted numbers in the wrong calculator and was way off on my calculations. 13% isn't ridiculous. but probably not the best expectation when you invest vanilla.

watchdawg
Name: Vic

Post by watchdawg » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:25 pm

Interesting that the article on TZ is still up. I think if he could refute it it would have been gone. I also wonder what he did to piss them off.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:38 pm

Jcp311 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:47 am
gwells wrote:
i think the list is relatively short, but there definitely are a bunch of solid micros out there. halios, farer, oak and oskar, aegir, crepas, scurfa, magrette, to name a few. i don't like all of their offerings, but they have a good rep for quality to price ratio. i still think monta's entry into the microbrand world was a bit sketchy, but may be softening.
The more I look at Monta the more I like the look of their stuff. For the money it looks like you get more than what you pay for in the details. Halios is probably my favorite though.

On a note about CREPAS/Tactico, the Anko was an unmitigated disaster for them. I sent back 3 or 4 watches before they sent me one I think belonged to one of the owners that didn't have any of the issues the others had, but was clearly in used condition. It was a poorly engineered watch from the get go and they got screwed with a lot of bad product from whoever made it for them. They were as frustrated as I was with the watch and were gracious throughout the process.
Jeremy, did they ever send you the free Anko sunglasses they promised everyone? My best friend lost 350 on his Anko's when he tried to sell it after that cluster fuck.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:46 pm

FlyPenFly wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:01 pm
How is Aquadive these days?
They stop posting on their forum and answering questions. So no idea. :shrug:

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:16 am

Seppia wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:39 pm
A vanilla s&p500 index fund has had somewhere in the neighborhood of 250% returns since 2009 iirc
Yep, I based it on a generic S&P index fund. :thumbsup: As I understand, Yao has a finance background and folks speculate he is actually investing the pre-orders at a huge profit. Of course another day like yesterday and he may have to start making watches again.

erikclabaugh

Post by erikclabaugh » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:18 pm

What’s really sad about this whole story is that it came out as a forum post and none of the watch blogs/mags have even noticed.

I enjoy reading most of the trade/collector oriented sites but it would be nice to see some actual journalism out of them every so often. The recycled press releases and “I ate cheese with Jean-Claude Biver while Tom Brady gave him a handjob wearing a Tag smart watch” stuff gets old fast. Particularly when TZ moderators are uncovering brazen acts of financial and ethical impropriety (criminal fraud???) in the watch industry in their spare time.

Just sayin...
Using Tapatalk

gonzomantis
Name: Mike

Post by gonzomantis » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:22 pm

Journalism is dead. Just saying...

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:36 pm

All the major watch blogs are paid for PR. Don't believe the hype.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:22 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:36 pm
All the major watch blogs are paid for PR. Don't believe the hype.
:1:
:htfu:

Jcp311
Name: Jeremy

Post by Jcp311 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:49 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:38 pm
Jcp311 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:47 am
gwells wrote:

Jeremy, did they ever send you the free Anko sunglasses they promised everyone? My best friend lost 350 on his Anko's when he tried to sell it after that cluster fuck.
Ha. It took me a minute to think about it, but yeah actually they did..on maybe the 3rd or 5th try. I can't say I've worn them though. Maybe I'll throw them up on the sales forum to recoup some of my loss. I just checked their website and they're still trying to get rid of those watches.

Sucks for your buddy....I knew after the second watch came back defective that I was going to keep asking for a decent one I could sell...No way was I going to keep it.
Way too many watches