Kobold article on Time Zone

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
justsellbrgs
Name: John

Re: Kobold article on Time Zone

Post by justsellbrgs » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:01 am

hmmm.. which one.

HIs Dad must think he's an idiot and wasted a bunch of family money.

HIs Dad must know he's an idiot and wasted a bunch of family money.
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

SoCal C4S
Name: RJ

Post by SoCal C4S » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:19 am

Same difference.
NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM!!

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Grahamcombat
Name: Graham

Post by Grahamcombat » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:44 am

I was in a business partnership years ago and my business partner tried to saddle me, in our venture, with his son, up until I said, “if you don’t want your son working for you, why would I want him working for me?”

I’d take any of my children and give them an opportunity to earn ownership in my company. But they’re goin to earn it - and they know it - against a backdrop of professionals that are also gnawing and scratching and fighting to get it as well.

dinexus
Name: Zach

Post by dinexus » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:53 am

BBK357 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:39 pm
I’m trying to figure out why he tried to employ Amish people and indigenous mountain people- both groups of people don’t know shit about watches. Please tell me how you think these employees will make your company better.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's not about making the company 'better,' it was about running it for as cheaply as possible. You think he's hiring people who are commanding top-dollar for their highly specialized labor? Nothing about this guy's actions have ever suggested the mind or actions of someone who's sparing no expense or effort to make a good product.

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:08 am

dinexus wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:53 am
It's not about making the company 'better,' it was about running it for as cheaply as possible. You think he's hiring people who are commanding top-dollar for their highly specialized labor? Nothing about this guy's actions have ever suggested the mind or actions of someone who's sparing no expense or effort to make a good product.
Let's see. I need to add a couple of watchmakers to my staff. Should I hire two trained watchmakers, or should I train a couple of Sherpas in the art of watchmaking?

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:13 am

Selym wrote:
dinexus wrote:
Let's see. I need to add a couple of watchmakers to my staff. Should I hire two trained watchmakers, or should I train a couple of Sherpas in the art of watchmaking?
Better off with trained watchmakers. Sherpas are too lazy.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:17 am

Selym wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:08 am
dinexus wrote:
I believe, from reading the "news" note, he added watchmakers to his US operation, not Nepal.

I'm kind of curious how you hire watchmakers and encourage them to move to rural PA. It isn't like watch makers are a growing occupation. I'm curious if Kobold placed an advertisement someplace or did he target people he already knew (pulling people away from RGM for example, assuming they would want to move almost 300 mile away).

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:21 am

All the sherpa and Amish shit is about brand differentiation, not quality or service. It's just another stupid trick from PT Kobol.

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:28 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:17 am
Selym wrote:
dinexus wrote:
I believe, from reading the "news" note, he added watchmakers to his US operation, not Nepal.

I'm kind of curious how you hire watchmakers and encourage them to move to rural PA. It isn't like watch makers are a growing occupation. I'm curious if Kobold placed an advertisement someplace or did he target people he already knew (pulling people away from RGM for example, assuming they would want to move almost 300 mile away).
maybe a watchmaker fresh out of Technicum in Lititz.
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:58 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Selym wrote:
dinexus wrote:

You're assuming he actually hired more help and this isn't just more smoke and mirrors.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:58 pm

Have you ever p[riced Amish furniture? Hiring Amish to be watchmakers wouldn't be a cost savings measure! :tap:

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:36 pm

BacoNoir wrote:Have you ever p[riced Amish furniture? Hiring Amish to be watchmakers wouldn't be a cost savings measure! :tap:
The Amish definitely don’t sell themselves short.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

SoCal C4S

Post by SoCal C4S » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:43 pm

The Amish actually deliver.

SoCal C4S

Post by SoCal C4S » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:52 pm

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:02 pm

if you overpay for amish furniture, that's on you. we've got a bunch of amish furniture and an amish built shed. great quality/price ratio.

i can't imagine any amish would put up with kobold.

R@cerx
Name: David

Post by R@cerx » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:52 am

SoCal C4S wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:52 pm
Actually they hire a guy with a truck to deliver, but ride along in the front seat. :grin:
Last edited by R@cerx on Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:31 am

^truth

snoballz
Baller

Re: Kobold artical on Time Zone

Post by snoballz » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:19 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:13 pm
Wow. An "official" TZ article about it.

Pretty disappointing. The watches are great. I'm feeling a little more serious about the fact that we should group buy-out that brand.
Yo, yo, yo!!! It's been a very long time since I've last been on this forum let alone many other watch related forums. Good to see some of the old kats are still around! In any event, I just got wind of the TZ post and figured there would be some chatter here.

I feel you Wu... there have been some incredible watches from Kobold. I had several Kobold watches at one time including...

I also saw MK's Instagram posts as he tried to control the narrative. Not a good look! It only supports the TZ article with more of those "look at me" posts on IG.

I know some here are very close to MK and thought they'd share their insight hence why I came lookin' here. I'm sure those folks really close to MK and the brand will be silent or distance themselves. :raised:

Be well!
-luke

tmw
Name: The Enabler

Post by tmw » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:25 pm

Ho lee fuk.....Luke!!!!!!!
“To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Sandman

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:29 pm

Luke!

tmw
Name: The Enabler

Post by tmw » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:31 pm

One of the original Kobold forum guys.....
“To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Sandman

jtbenson
Name: jason

Post by jtbenson » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:35 pm

i think my first of my ten or so kobolds was from luke, cheers bud!

Grahamcombat
Name: Graham

Post by Grahamcombat » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:39 pm

SoCal C4S

Post by SoCal C4S » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:42 pm

Matt with the winning post!

jtbenson
Name: jason

Kobold article on Time Zone

Post by jtbenson » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:53 pm

i think the first of my ten or so kobolds was from luke, cheers bud!