AP as Used Resellers

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Grahamcombat
Name: Graham

AP as Used Resellers

Post by Grahamcombat » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:03 am

Thought this was interesting news yesterday.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-swiss ... KKBN1F80L9

Utah get me two!

goaliechris
Name: Chris

Re: AP as Used Resellers

Post by goaliechris » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:10 am

Smart if the prices are somewhat competitive to watches sold by established grey market sellers. Of course they’ll charge more but the security of buying through the manufacturer could be worth the premium (no chance at fakes, reconditioned, future servicing).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grahamcombat

Post by Grahamcombat » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:18 am

Exactly. I wonder how likely it’ll be that they start to buy up their own product as well.

Companies buy their own stock, why not buy back your product, do a factory refurb, and make a couple grand on a resale.

I’m looking for a used AP right now and would totally buy one direct in their shop as opposed to a forum. Especially if there’s a bottom line of value that you’d get on trade in.

My wife’s college roommate (totally hot btw, have had visions of epic pillow fights and pajama wrestling for decades) does this with her wedding ring: every few years goes back in, adds cash to it, and upsizes. Never, technically, losing equity.

Utah get me two!

goaliechris
Name: Chris

Post by goaliechris » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:33 am

Agree - a few years ago I bought a DeepSea through a local guy who’s also a trusted grey market seller. He got it in, called me to come pick it up and while I was on the way called me back to tell me he had been sold a fake and barely caught the error - it was that good. It all ended well but he could have easily just passed it on. It’s worth extra to buy knowing there’s no chance of it being a fake.

Btw, I’ll also be shopping for a used AP - deciding between the diver and the 15400. Leaning towards Diver, like you. Good luck!

Grahamcombat

Post by Grahamcombat » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:37 am

I’m going to be Vegas Sunday :-) starting my search.

Utah get me two!

Marjak
Name: Mart

Post by Marjak » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:13 am

Linde Werdelin has been doing this for years. They service the watch and put a new strap on it and put up for sale on their website. I like it.
- Mart -

Denizen

Post by Denizen » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:23 pm

Grahamcombat wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:18 am
I’m looking for a used AP right now and would totally buy one direct in their shop as opposed to a forum. Especially if there’s a bottom line of value that you’d get on trade in.
If AP makes a go of this, sure many would embrace it

Not knowing your timetable to buying one...buying pre-owned, would be the preferable route. Getting an AP or a PP...you've moved up in service costs though.

Good luck with the hunt.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:31 pm

AP is pretty reasonable for service cost. All their prices are posted.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:53 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:AP is pretty reasonable for service cost. All their prices are posted.
Really? I thought I heard stories from people here that they were very expensive.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:56 pm

ericf4 wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:53 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:AP is pretty reasonable for service cost. All their prices are posted.
Really? I thought I heard stories from people here that they were very expensive.

https://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/servi ... es-prices/

Not too horrible.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:01 pm

ericf4 wrote:

I've never heard a bad word about AP service. They're some of the best in the world. You might be thinking of VC. I've heard of $5,000 services on three hand watches from them. AP isn't expensive and they're very fast.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:03 pm

logan2z wrote:
ericf4 wrote:

https://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/servi ... es-prices/

Not too horrible.
Yeah not terrible.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:54 pm

Confirming that AP service was stellar. I'd have a ton of confidence that the used watches they "refurbish" will be perfect.

It's a great idea for them.
:htfu:

Nellipj
Name: Patrick

Post by Nellipj » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:07 pm

I’ve had a $3000 service on an AP Diver. Damaged parts had to be replaced because a previous owner either opened up the back and f’ed it up, or someone who didn’t know how to service an AP that was under warranty and should have been sent back to them f’ed it up. I was not happy. I’ll never buy an AP again from a private seller. I’m all for AP reselling their watches. Probably the only way I would buy again.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:12 pm

Nellipj wrote:I’ve had a $3000 service on an AP Diver. Damaged parts had to be replaced because a previous owner either opened up the back and f’ed it up, or someone who didn’t know how to service an AP that was under warranty and should have been sent back to them f’ed it up. I was not happy. I’ll never buy an AP again from a private seller. I’m all for AP reselling their watches. Probably the only way I would buy again.
Ouch. Even the 15305 I had serviced was less than that (I think)! And it was beat.
:htfu:

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:18 pm

Nellipj wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:07 pm
I’ve had a $3000 service on an AP Diver. Damaged parts had to be replaced because a previous owner either opened up the back and f’ed it up, or someone who didn’t know how to service an AP that was under warranty and should have been sent back to them f’ed it up. I was not happy. I’ll never buy an AP again from a private seller. I’m all for AP reselling their watches. Probably the only way I would buy again.
Ouch Pat

Nellipj

Post by Nellipj » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:29 pm

Yep, worst lesson I’ll ever have with a watch.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:54 pm

Nellipj wrote:Yep, worst lesson I’ll ever have with a watch.

This was where I heard AP was pricey now I remember.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:59 pm

$3000 to fix a fucked with $15000 watch doesn't seem unreasonable.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:59 pm

Nellipj wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:07 pm
Sorry to hear that Pat.

I've talked to many of the 'trusted sellers' when thinking about buying a watch and they often say that the watch has been serviced. When I press them on who serviced the watch the answer is typically "my watchmaker". That's a major red flag for me - how many random watchmakers can competently service an in-house movement like that found in an AP?

Looking forward to seeing what AP does with this new model for reselling it's watches.

Nellipj

Post by Nellipj » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:09 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:$3000 to fix a fucked with $15000 watch doesn't seem unreasonable.
Yeah, it was probably in line cost wise, but I bought the watch with the understanding that it was still under warranty. AP said it was void because someone else opened the case to work on it. I was left holding the bag.

93 Turbo
Name: Jules

Post by 93 Turbo » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:18 pm

So were the "dark side". Sure it will the case of a car dealer, you'll get screwed on the way in and on the way out.

But going by Pat's experience at least you are getting some assurance if something goes wrong in the warranty period there will be coverage.
Strength is = 2 or > than "tipping over a so- called smart car plastered in “Coexist” bumper stickers".

Pat McNamara.

fastward
Fast Eddie

Post by fastward » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:21 pm

AP isn’t doing this as an altruistic gesture.
They realize that there’s a big market and that they are leaving money on the table.

Sounds like a solid business move.