Incoming & Review....Vertex M100

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Re: Incoming & Review....Vertex M100

Post by jimyritz » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:18 am

That's a cool watch Ed and looks real good on you. The price is what it is-- if you like a watch or anything for that matter you'll pay. I don't think the price is so bad for what you got---That being said, pretty happy with my Tribute-- Congrats on your Vertex.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:37 am

Love the numerals/lume. Something IWC should learn, there's no excuse for having crappy lume when a 400-dollar Steinhart pilot glows like a torch and every hash mark is lumed.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:04 am

Panerai7 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:37 am
Love the numerals/lume. Something IWC should learn, there's no excuse for having crappy lume when a 400-dollar Steinhart pilot glows like a torch and every hash mark is lumed.
They won't until people start being highly critical and stop buying. Modern IWC is terrible. They offer almost the exact same watches as they did in 1999 at three times the price. They are now one of the least innovative brands around. It's pretty sad when you look back and see what they used to be.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:28 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
They won't until people start being highly critical and stop buying. Modern IWC is terrible. They offer almost the exact same watches as they did in 1999 at three times the price. They are now one of the least innovative brands around. It's pretty sad when you look back and see what they used to be.
I don't necessarily care about technical innovation in watches, but I can't find one model in IWC's current collection that isn't either overpriced relative to the competition or doesn't have some attribute of the design that puts me off. I keep hoping for something in the pilot lineup that excites me but I continue to be disappointed.

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:58 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
Yup. My AT looks and feels better constructed and more refined than all the ATs from the AT2000 on. Unlike Rolex and Omega who seem to be making a better product (with controversial styling and proportions), IWC seems to be reinventing old designs and making them cheaper feeling, but more expensive.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:19 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:04 am
Panerai7 wrote:
I am thankful for IWC finally making not limited Le Petit blue chronograph and dropping that hideous windshield wiper date window, so I got my fix of IWC that I was waiting for many years. Now they need to make one chrono in Titanium with full lume dial as M18 and a ceramic one from solid ceramic not a baked on cheap solution, both based on Val 7750 since that's my favorite chrono layout. After that I'm basically done with IWC

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:32 am

I heard that they're releasing the Port chrono using their in-house movement at the same price as the VJ7750 version. Clearly the margin on those VJ watches is astronomical.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:55 am

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:14 am

logan2z wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:28 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
I don't necessarily care about technical innovation in watches, but I can't find one model in IWC's current collection that isn't either overpriced relative to the competition or doesn't have some attribute of the design that puts me off. I keep hoping for something in the pilot lineup that excites me but I continue to be disappointed.
I really wanted to pick up a Mark XVIII, either the blue or white/silver dial, but I feel they are overpriced. The heritage of the brand is not enough, at least for me.

Art's chrono is badass, that's one I would be happy to pick in the future.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:27 am

Joeprez wrote:
logan2z wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:28 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
I really wanted to pick up a Mark XVIII, either the blue or white/silver dial, but I feel they are overpriced. The heritage of the brand is not enough, at least for me.

Art's chrono is badass, that's one I would be happy to pick in the future.
Unfortunately I think that IWC has steadily screwed up their pilot watches. If you can deal with the 38mm size I'd suggest picking up a used Mark XV. That's probably one of the best watch purchases I've made in a while. If you want something larger with legitimate history then grab a Stowa no logo/no date for a fraction of the price of an XVIII.

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:29 am

38mm is fine for me, thanks for the suggestion. WIll check your posts to see the watch :thumbsup:

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:29 am

A Mark XVIII (the names are getting a little excessive at this point) with an entry-level Richemont movement would be a very different value proposition than one with an undersized ETA movement and too small date wheel.

Richemont seems more than happy to cut corners and it's pretty crappy at their price point. The date aperture on the LE Bling Chrono looks like absolute ass. Damasko does it better and nobody should be OK with that.

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:35 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:29 am
A Mark XVIII (the names are getting a little excessive at this point) with an entry-level Richemont movement would be a very different value proposition than one with an undersized ETA movement and too small date wheel.

Richemont seems more than happy to cut corners and it's pretty crappy at their price point. The date aperture on the LE Bling Chrono looks like absolute ass. Damasko does it better and nobody should be OK with that.
You're right (I know I shouldn't encourage you :lol: ). I don't consider myself a movement snob, but I'm very happy with my Sinn 556 Weiss with an ETA, at 1/3 of the price.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:40 am

Everyone loves big watches these days - time for brands to pony up for some decently sized movements. IWC is one of the least bad in this respect. Most of their in-house movements are an appropriate size (and hence aren't usable in normally sized watches). Stupidly, Patek is one of the worst.

IWC bracelets are superb though.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:58 pm

It is sad that the signature pilot watches that IWC is known for aren't the ones they're doing best (sure, there are some winners, but it is mostly a result of throwing a TON out there and just getting lucky). I think their best line right now is the in-house Portuguese line. I guess you could include the Valjoux-based 3714s also.
:htfu:

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:57 pm

He still have this?
Treaded for a Seiko sla017?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak: