Incoming & Review....Vertex M100

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:26 pm

I just finished this and am posting here at home first. Enjoy.

- Vertex M100 Review -

Expectations vs. Reality

There is no doubt that all of us in the watch hobby have experienced this; the excitement of a new watch, only to be disappointed by the reality once it arrives and we see it in person. I sure have. Many times.

When I first saw the new Vertex M100 I immediately fell in love. I fell hard too. This was a watch that seemed a bit expensive, but I loved everything else about it and wanted one. I reached out to Vertex in an effort to buy, but the unique sales model didn’t allow for a direct sale. I was disappointed, but better before spending all that money than after receiving the watch...right?

I’m happy to say, this watch exceeded my expectations.

The Brand & Sales -

One can find information about Vertex history via other sources, so I’ll skip that. The sales model has been discussed in other reviews, but it’s true that you can only get the M100 by referral. The only exception is for owners of the original Vertex field watch, as they can buy one directly. I have since had a nice conversation with the man who brought Vertex back to life; Don Cochrane, and he explained it to me. Don found that some cool watches have become too commonplace, something he realized when he started seeing his beloved Panerai on the wrists of people who had money, but weren’t really “watch people” (my words, not his). I too had an experience like his when, after years of Panerai ownership I found two of my cousins wearing a “Panera” (the watch, not the bread) and having no clue about its history, other than it was pretty expensive. It was then that I sold mine and left the brand. Nice watches, but they didn’t feel “special” to me after that. Sure, we know Rolex is common too, but it has its own unique story and stellar after-sales service, so I give them a pass.

In any case, Don wanted to create a watch brand that would be a community and not simply one that could be purchased by anyone with the money to afford one. A brand where if you saw someone wearing one at the airport, you’d know they had their own story to tell. Some of those initially invited to Vertex are not hardcore watch people, but they are people who have a unique story to tell. Is this working? I can’t disclose numbers but the M100 has sold well. Very well. I haven’t seen a single one for sale in the secondary market. There is a reason why....

The Watch -

When he decided to bring his great-grandfathers brand back to life, Don wanted to use the opportunity to appeal to the watch enthusiasts and maintain a sense of the watches being special. Unique. Now this is a goal I can appreciate, but Vertex wouldn’t be successful unless the product meets or exceeds expectations. Spoiler alert; it does. At least for me.

Rather than follow the route used by the typical micro & boutique brands, Don wanted his watch to be Swiss Made and of quality that would meet the expectations of watch people like me. He sought out quality suppliers to ensure a quality product. It appears he has met this goal.

The fully brushed 40mm case is nicely finished and is well proportioned. The size is ideal for a modern military-styled field watch. It’s large enough to have presence, but small and light enough to wear very comfortably. Measuring 49mm in length - from tip of case to tip of case - it works on wrists large and small, the curved lugs help in this area. It’s about 11.5mm tall and accepts any 20mm strap. I haven’t weighed the watch head, but I’d say it’s about 65-70 grams - just right. The crown does not screw down, but a total of three seals give it water resistance to 100 meters. All good in my opinion.

The ETA 7001 winds smoothly and is quiet. The crown is large enough to grip easily, but small enough to be comfortable. I can’t report timekeeping yet.

A slightly domed sapphire crystal tops a dial that brings back that WWII military watch look, in a way faithful to the original Vertex and other “Dirty Dozen” watches of that era. On that dial you find 3D applied numerals, made of Super Luminova. These numbers appear to jump off the dial. It must be seen to be appreciated. The polished hands are the less commonly seen syringe style and they are both legible and nicely finished. They work perfectly I this design. The seconds hand is also polished and the seconds sub-dial is larger that I’m used to seeing, making it easier to read. The lume is outstanding and this is something that I always appreciate in a watch.

The M100 ships on a nicely made grey nato style strap and shoulder-less spring bars with a quick release lever. In the box is a leather strap with its own quick release spring bars. The box is the now standard Pelican case, but it comes secured by a Vertex branded combination lock.

Final Thoughts -

I don’t typically write watch reviews, generally preferring to let the photos do the talking. In this case I felt compelled to get more detailed, because I both appreciate and respect the idea of a watch that was designed for people like me. Watch enthusiasts - watch geeks, watch nerds - whatever you want to call us. This is that kind of watch.

I recognize that many people dislike the referral sales model and I can understand that. I was fortunate to find someone that gave me a “way in” to the Vertex family of owners and I’m glad to be among them.

Since there are plenty of photos already out there of the watch and it’s stock straps, I wanted to showcase it the way I will be wearing my M100 - on many of the aftermarket nato straps I already own and in real-world settings. These first photos are on Maratac brand nato straps, but I’ll share some photos on the excellent Toxic brand natos too.

What would I do differently? I’d give the watch drilled lugs and ditch the quick-release spring bars. That’s it.

I hope this review helps people gain a better sense of the watch and the company. These have sold very well and those in the USA may have some difficulty obtaining one. If you’re interested and serious about purchase, contact me and I will assist you if I can.

Hoppy

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by hoppyjr on Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 7 times in total.

spring-diver
Name: Shannon

Re: Incoming & Review....Vertex M100

Post by spring-diver » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:43 pm

Totally sick... now I want one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seiko: SBDB001, SBDX001, SRP777

Sinn: EZM9, T1, T1B, 836 & 857S

:cheers:

spring-diver
Name: Shannon

Post by spring-diver » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:43 pm

...I didn’t realize the numbers were solid lume, like the hour markers on the Sinn 900.

Amazing watch bro
Seiko: SBDB001, SBDX001, SRP777

Sinn: EZM9, T1, T1B, 836 & 857S

:cheers:

Rob.B
Name: Rob

Post by Rob.B » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:57 pm

Nice review... Your right about them numbers jumping off the dial...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:03 pm

Great review. That's a nice watch. First saw this in a GQ or Esquire spread on the dirty dozen recently.

Terpits
Creepy Tudor Guy
Name: Peter

Post by Terpits » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:06 pm

Review comes across as honest and sincere.
Reminds me of myself.

I agree with your assessment. Grilled lugs would have been nice.
I would prefer central seconds. I'd choose this over the Nomo that you liked, hands down.
:rimshot:

fastward
Fast Eddie

Post by fastward » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:23 pm

So, is there a list?

fastward
Fast Eddie

Post by fastward » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:24 pm

Terpits wrote:Grilled lugs.
Are those like steamed hams?

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:27 pm

It definitely is a cool watch, Hop, and I appreciate the time it took to create the review.

I'm still not 100% behind the sales model which seems to be designed to artificially make the watch "exclusive", but every micro seems to have their niche.

I think I'd be less opposed to the sales model if, instead of focusing on creating "exclusivity", they framed it as trying to create a brand solely through referral business. It's kind of a ballsy move when you frame it this way, as you'd have to really believe in the product before you referred your friend to it.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:30 pm

All sales ads have to list a price.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:31 pm

you can only get the M100 by referral --- what the hell does this mean?

Price: £2,500 -- really? Don sells at that price, and on referral? okay Don... cheers
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

RALAustin
Name: Rob

Post by RALAustin » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:32 pm

Very cool I love the lume numbers!

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:33 pm

CGSshorty wrote:All sales ads have to list a price.
:lol:

I’ll take bets on this one; feel free to post your amount and I’ll reply with “confirmed”. Let’s say we give it a year from today.

Imma get rich!

Erratic101
Name: Justyn

Post by Erratic101 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:33 pm

CGSshorty wrote:All sales ads have to list a price.
ImageImage

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:35 pm

justsellbrgs wrote:you can only get the M100 by referral --- what the hell does this mean?

Price: £2,500 -- really? Don sells at that price, and on referral? okay Don... cheers
I discussed with him the feasibility of bringing some to the USA without VAT. If enough people were on board, I believe we could see a nice result. Image

I will say, it’s worth all the money to me. This is why I bought it and why I took the time to call Don and write about it. I’m not affiliated with him or the brand, I’m just a happy owner.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:41 pm

It is very nice, but I think I’d save quite a bit of money and buy this instead.

http://www.watchbuys.com/store/pc/Hanha ... 0p3557.htm
David St. Hubbins

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:41 pm

It is very nice, but I think I’d save quite a bit of money and buy this instead.

David St. Hubbins

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:44 pm

CGSshorty wrote:It is very nice, but I think I’d save quite a bit of money and buy this instead.

That’s a nice looking piece too - and I’ve been considering it.

gr8sw
Name: Pedro

Post by gr8sw » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:11 pm

nice review, hoppy :thumbsup: those Arabics are sick :cheers:

I used to own the original issued WWW Vertex :salute:

2 WWW copy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
‘I don’t worry about a thing, 'cause I know nothing’s gonna be alright’ Mose Allison

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:29 pm

+
Watch looks good
Watch has good proportions

-
Price .... price.
And
Sales model - so this guy picks 60 people that he approves of to buy his watch, then those people can pick 5 people to choose or allow them to spend $3100 on one as well- seems like insurance, rubber food containers or women’s leggings may be involved with this sales model- but super exclusive and douchy. I’m hoping the creator of this watch wasn’t shackled to a house to be fed only once a day and shower twice a year.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/verte ... n-military

But then again after seeing this pic and if handys were involved (to or from) I can maybe see why people buy it.
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:41 pm

BBK357 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:29 pm
+
Watch looks good
Watch has good proportions

-
Price .... price.
And
Sales model - so this guy picks 60 people that he approves of to buy his watch, then those people can pick 5 people to choose or allow them to spend $3100 on one as well- seems like insurance, rubber food containers or women’s leggings may be involved with this sales model- but super exclusive and douchy. I’m hoping the creator of this watch wasn’t shackled to a house to be fed only once a day and shower twice a year.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/verte ... n-military

But then again after seeing this pic and if handys were involved (to or from) I can maybe see why people buy it.
I suspect that if you beg long enough they will allow you to be an exclusive owner too. With your skills you might get one for free.

jtbenson
Name: jason

Post by jtbenson » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:42 pm

how else would hop get on the list? :gayumbrella:

also, what will his five referrals have to trade for the honor? :shock:

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:44 pm

gr8sw wrote:nice review, hoppy :thumbsup: those Arabics are sick :cheers:

I used to own the original issued WWW Vertex :salute:

2 WWW copy.jpg

That’s cool!

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:46 pm

jtbenson wrote:how else would hop get on the list? :gayumbrella:

also, what will his five referrals have to trade for the honor? Image
I’ll never tell....but it involved three midgets and a donkey.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:50 pm

jtbenson wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:42 pm
how else would hop get on the list? :gayumbrella:

also, what will his five referrals have to trade for the honor? :shock:
I heard he's already sending PM's containing some sort of "try-out" procedure.

That was a great review Hoppy :thumbsup: Honest question, what appealed to you on this watch more than just getting an IWC Mark (insert favorite edition here)?

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko