Name: Hoppy

Re: Incoming & Review....Vertex M100

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:03 pm

Joeprez wrote:
jtbenson wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:42 pm
how else would hop get on the list? :gayumbrella:

also, what will his five referrals have to trade for the honor? :shock:
I heard he's also ready sending PM's containing some sort of "try-out" procedure.

That was a great review Hoppy :thumbsup: Honest question, what appealed to you on this watch more than just getting an IWC Mark (insert favorite edition here)?
Me doing a “try out” or Vertex?

Good question about the IWC. I was actually very close to pulling the trigger on the Tribute to Mark XI. I loved how it looked and wore, when I tried it on in December. My reservations on the IWC were the price, the too long hour hand, and the lack of lume. I appreciate the IWC brand name and the screw crown. The automatic vs. manual wound is a wash for me. I genuinely find the Vertex more attractive; hands, dial, proportions, and definitely the lume.

I took a chance with the the Vertex, since I couldn’t see it first, but it is everything I expected and absolutely no disappointments.

I also like what Don is trying to do and can now better understand the referral sales model. I get that his choices for the first 60 owners may not seem logical to some, but he had to start somewhere and why not with his circle of friends? Each owner can refer up to five people who purchase. This expands the circle but keeps it from one guy referring dozens, as that would basically eliminate the purpose of referrals in the first place.

Now that I’ve handled this a Vertex and the IWC Tribute to Mark XI, the Mark was (IMO) overpriced at $4150 and no discount. I see the Mark series as very nice watches at $3500. The Vertex lacks the brand status, but the actual watch - head to head - is every bit as good, and to me more appealing, even at the same price. That the Vertex is a bit less, it’s an easy choice and I’m glad I made it.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:32 pm

Nice review Ed.

The watch is pretty cool, but it's hard for me to get too excited about it since it isn't really for sale. Having to find a 'way in' in order to buy it is definitely a turn-off for me but I'm glad you managed to pick one up. Looks good on your wrist.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:36 pm

logan2z wrote:Nice review Ed.

The watch is pretty cool, but it's hard for me to get too excited about it since it isn't really for sale. Having to find a 'way in' in order to buy it is definitely a turn-off for me but I'm glad you managed to pick one up. Looks good on your wrist.

Thanks. I can invite five people, so it is really for sale.

I don’t know Don’s plan for the future, maybe this is only for the first model and future releases could be via website and/or a physical location.

Certainly the sales model, like it or hate it, has helped get people taking about the brand.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:41 pm

Nice review and cool looking watch. Business model is a little snobby though. Kind of like Country Club membership.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:48 pm

59yukon01 wrote:Nice review and cool looking watch. Business model is a little snobby though.Image Kind of like Country Club membership.

Having spoken with Don I can assure you he’s at the opposite end of snobby. A really nice, personable chap (see what I did there?). He doesn’t intend it as “better than” or elite, but as a community. Someone who really wants one should be able to connect with an owner and get a referral code. No doubt it’s a different technique, but it does make the brand unique.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:58 pm

59yukon01 wrote:Nice review and cool looking watch. Business model is a little snobby though.Image Kind of like Country Club membership.

Having spoken with Don I can assure you he’s at the opposite end of snobby. A really nice, personable chap (see what I did there?). He doesn’t intend it as “better than” or elite, but as a community. Someone who really wants one should be able to connect with an owner and get a referral code. No doubt it’s a different technique, but it does make the brand unique.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:11 pm

I dig the watch, but hate the price.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

hoppyjr
HJ

Incoming & Review....Vertex M100

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:24 pm

BacoNoir wrote:I dig the watch, but hate the price.

As I mentioned, even if it was priced higher (@$3500) and the IWC Tribute to Mark XI was priced lower (@ $3500) I’d chose the Vertex.

The £2500 ($3300 USD) price includes the VAT that is required in the UK and Europe. Subtract that (approx) 20% and it lands about $2650 USD.

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:48 pm

Just wait until Don shows up at Red Bar...........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:12 pm

The numbers are cool, but I can't help thinking that's a terrible choice for a serial flipper.

mtb2104
Name: Gary

Post by mtb2104 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:35 pm

Looks great and congrats!
Love how the numbers pops! :)

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:41 pm

justsellbrgs wrote:Just wait until Don shows up at Red Bar...........

When is that?

manitoujoe
Name: Mark

Post by manitoujoe » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:41 pm

I dig the look. The price not so much. But it’s definitely cool looking.

Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:42 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:The numbers are cool, but I can't help thinking that's a terrible choice for a serial flipper.
Cereal. Cereal flipper.

......and you call yourself a Professor.

BacoNoir

Post by BacoNoir » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:51 pm

mtb2104 wrote:Looks great and congrats!
The lume numbers are totally unique and a cool feature no doubt. I’d be looking at it hard if it were < $1k.
www.simplynoble.net

BacoNoir

Post by BacoNoir » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:52 pm

The lume numbers are totally unique and a cool feature no doubt. I’d be looking at it hard if it were < $1k.
www.simplynoble.net

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:59 pm

BacoNoir wrote:
I understand those who don’t see this at the price point, but having recently handled that IWC and now playing with this one all day I can it’s not a watch that competes for the micro crowd under $1k. This is a nicely finished and beautifully made watch that fits its price well. I’m not simply saying that to justify my own purchase, I’ve owned enough stuff in the $2-3k range to have solid expectations. Don’t let my shitty photos influence you.

mtb2104

Post by mtb2104 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:05 pm

could you kindly do a quick measurement of the dial size? i.e. end of markers 3-9 as well as true dial width (entire black area)

thanks! :)

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:35 pm

mtb2104 wrote:could you kindly do a quick measurement of the dial size? i.e. end of markers 3-9 as well as true dial width (entire black area)

I’ll see if I can find a ruler. I don’t own calipers.

mtb2104

Post by mtb2104 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:37 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:35 pm
mtb2104 wrote:could you kindly do a quick measurement of the dial size? i.e. end of markers 3-9 as well as true dial width (entire black area)

I’ll see if I can find a ruler. I don’t own calipers.
Rulers are perfectly fine! Thanks! :cheers:

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:32 pm

It looks like 27mm from the outermost edge of the 3 & 9 (about 19 to the inside edges between the two)

Approx 32mm dial / crystal diameter

mtb2104

Post by mtb2104 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:33 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:32 pm

It looks like 27mm from the outermost edge of the 3 & 9 (about 19 to the inside edges between the two)

Approx 32mm dial / crystal diameter
:thumbsup:

Thank you! :cheers:

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:33 pm

Here are a couple comparison shots with the Sea-Dweller 16600. The M100 is about the same length and diameter, but it has more dial. It’s also thinner and lighter as expected.

ImageImage

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:55 am

I think the non-screw down crown on a hand wound movement is a fine choice, especially when they use enough seals to maintain 100 meters water resistance. My Hamilton has this as well.

Looking at the side photo makes me wish the crown was signed (again, like my Hamilton has).

Out of curiosity, how did you get a reference code? I would imagine you would have to search Instagram for someone who posted pictures of owning one, then approach them asking for a code.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:05 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:03 pm
Joeprez wrote:
jtbenson wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:42 pm
how else would hop get on the list? :gayumbrella:

also, what will his five referrals have to trade for the honor? :shock:
I heard he's also ready sending PM's containing some sort of "try-out" procedure.

That was a great review Hoppy :thumbsup: Honest question, what appealed to you on this watch more than just getting an IWC Mark (insert favorite edition here)?
Me doing a “try out” or Vertex?

Good question about the IWC. I was actually very close to pulling the trigger on the Tribute to Mark XI. I loved how it looked and wore, when I tried it on in December. My reservations on the IWC were the price, the too long hour hand, and the lack of lume. I appreciate the IWC brand name and the screw crown. The automatic vs. manual wound is a wash for me. I genuinely find the Vertex more attractive; hands, dial, proportions, and definitely the lume.

I took a chance with the the Vertex, since I couldn’t see it first, but it is everything I expected and absolutely no disappointments.

I also like what Don is trying to do and can now better understand the referral sales model. I get that his choices for the first 60 owners may not seem logical to some, but he had to start somewhere and why not with his circle of friends? Each owner can refer up to five people who purchase. This expands the circle but keeps it from one guy referring dozens, as that would basically eliminate the purpose of referrals in the first place.

Now that I’ve handled this a Vertex and the IWC Tribute to Mark XI, the Mark was (IMO) overpriced at $4150 and no discount. I see the Mark series as very nice watches at $3500. The Vertex lacks the brand status, but the actual watch - head to head - is every bit as good, and to me more appealing, even at the same price. That the Vertex is a bit less, it’s an easy choice and I’m glad I made it.
Thanks for the comment Ed, it does seem like a watch very well made.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko