A refreshing start to the new year, with a new perspective...

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
outtatime
Name: Jon

A refreshing start to the new year, with a new perspective...

Post by outtatime » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:52 pm

I'm one of those anal bastards who always wants only mint/100%/virgin untouched watches, with nary a blemish or mark. So much, in fact, that I've often found myself not wearing these really super-expensive ones I own for fear of putting a mark on them.

Case in point, the brand new BLNR I bought for my birthday in November. I wore it the first few times damn near like I was holding a newborn. If I put a coat on, I'd make sure nothing touched it. I looked at the clasp about 47 times a day to see if there was a hairline. I'd favor my left hand to make sure it didn't hit anything.

In other words, I wasn't really enjoying it.

I decided to sell it rather than "endure" this torture, but then I kind of got busy and got irritated with a potential trade (no one here, a forum dealer) so I kept it. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, when one of my small crypto investments mooned and I found myself over $12,000 up overnight. Something snapped in my head that said "f it" and I could afford to not worry about actually wearing this thing. Not that this money changed anything, I'd already bought the BLNR, and didn't have to "pay it off" or anything, but I guess my worries about hurting resale value of a few hundred suddenly seemed insignificant.

So, I've worn it every day for the past two weeks. Nothing bad has happened to it whatsoever, but I've also not babied it. I don't gingerly put it in its box every night, I just lay it on my desk. I don't fear wearing gloves or going to Home Depot with it on. In fact, I don't even think about it other than to think "damn this is a fine looking watch. Ladies?"

In other words, I'm pretty much an idiot and have been doing it wrong.

I hope to keep this trend alive. Oh, I've lost all of that crypto money in this week's crash-a-palooza, but meh. I'm still going to wear my BLNR tomorrow and not worry about it.

I know I've just "discovered" something not new at all, but one giant leap for outtatime. Now, if we can all say a silent prayer that Bitcoin holds above $11k tomorrow...
Current
Alpina Extreme Diver 300 | Benarus Ti47 | Breitling Avenger Seawolf | Eterna KonTiki Super 1973 | Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic | Hamilton Pan Europ | IWC Aquatimer 2000 | Korsbek Oceaneer | Linde Werdelin The One 2.6 | Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre | Omega Seamaster 300 Titanium | Omega Seamaster 2531.80 | Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow | Panerai 005 | Rolex Deepsea | Steinhart Nav-B 6497 | Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military | Stowa Seatime | Zenith El Primero Stratos

Incoming

Considering
PAM 422 | AP Royal Oak 15400 Silver | Rolex Explorer II 42mm Polar | Omega PO 8500 XL

Sometimes it's easier just to watch

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Re: A refreshing start to the new year, with a new perspective...

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:59 pm

Great to hear. Collecting perfect watches is fun, but watching them slowly reflect your life through wear is more fun for me.

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:00 pm

glad to hear you're learning to enjoy your watch(es). they're tools, they're meant to be worn and used.

manitoujoe
Name: Mark

Post by manitoujoe » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:04 pm

Solid post. Very true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:07 pm

I don't understand buying a watch and having it wear you, so to speak. Life really is too short for that. I've sold all my more expensive watches, and honestly enjoy somewhat less expensive pieces for that exact reason. If I scratch the lugs of my Sinn 103 changing the straps, it's not something that really bothers me (as opposed to the time I did that to my Rolex 1665).

mfxr
Name: MattF

Post by mfxr » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:07 pm

Crypto will redefine all concept of monetary value :lol:
My portfolio chart looks like a rollercoaster at an amusement park.

Enjoy your watch, that's what it is for :thumbsup:

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:11 pm

Good to hear, Jon. This is definitely the "right" way to do it
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:11 pm

Good change of view. All mine get worn for daily activities and not babied, but not abused - intentionally.

If I decide I need to flip one, I’ll send it in for service before so I get top dollar and the buyer doesn’t have to worry about minor imperfections.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:21 pm

It’s fine to collect watches like coins just to look at or lock away for speculative reasons (it’s your money after all), but it’s much more fun to wear them IMO.
- Todd

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:27 pm

It’s good that you’ve mellowed in this area Jon. When you do develop your own personal “patina” on them, it’ll be a constant reminder of how much you’ve enjoyed them. This is a good thing.

just remember.....I have dibs on the PO. :grin:

RALAustin
Name: Rob

Post by RALAustin » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:34 pm

Love it. Not sure I am totally there yet with a couple of my watches, but trying!

YOHOHO
Dirty Closet Hinderer Whore
Name: Josh

Post by YOHOHO » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:35 pm

Glad to hear you're enjoying the BLNR now. I know the feeling. I sometimes feel like I need to buy 2 of every watch. One that I can wear and the other to keep perfect...

Good luck on the crypto rebound...it's definitely been a wild ride these past couple days!

outtatime

Post by outtatime » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:36 pm

mfxr wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:07 pm

To the moon, or to zero. HODL!
Current
Alpina Extreme Diver 300 | Benarus Ti47 | Breitling Avenger Seawolf | Eterna KonTiki Super 1973 | Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic | Hamilton Pan Europ | IWC Aquatimer 2000 | Korsbek Oceaneer | Linde Werdelin The One 2.6 | Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre | Omega Seamaster 300 Titanium | Omega Seamaster 2531.80 | Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow | Panerai 005 | Rolex Deepsea | Steinhart Nav-B 6497 | Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military | Stowa Seatime | Zenith El Primero Stratos

Incoming

Considering
PAM 422 | AP Royal Oak 15400 Silver | Rolex Explorer II 42mm Polar | Omega PO 8500 XL

outtatime

Post by outtatime » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:38 pm

YOHOHO wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:35 pm
Glad to hear you're enjoying the BLNR now. I know the feeling. I sometimes feel like I need to buy 2 of every watch. One that I can wear and the other to keep perfect...

Good luck on the crypto rebound...it's definitely been a wild ride these past couple days!
Thanks, I'm up $22 in Dentacoin. LOL

And believe me, I've come damn close to buying a "for looking only" watch...

I still have the Hulk sealed in my safety deposit box waiting to see if it's discontinued at Basel. If it's not, then I'll probably wear it. But if it is, some dumb bastard might be willing to give me $13k for it. :grin:
Current

Incoming

Considering

mfxr

Post by mfxr » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:47 pm

outtatime wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:36 pm
mfxr wrote:

I am having fun, despite the last couple of days.
I put in about a BLNRs worth 6 months ago, and am up by a couple of Pateks now :lol:

We should have a crypto thread here!

outtatime

Post by outtatime » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:50 pm

mfxr wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:47 pm
outtatime wrote:
mfxr wrote:

I put in about a BLNRs worth 6 months ago, and am up by a couple of Pateks now :lol:

Nice. Unfortunately, I got in a little too late to . make that kind of money. By the time I'd sorted through stuff and actually done a lot of research, I'd missed the latter 2017 boon. When Ripple popped I made quite a bit, but foolishly held it for another day to see if it would hit $4. Nope. If only I'd hit "sell" that morning @ $3.28.
Current

Incoming

Considering

mfxr

Post by mfxr » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:07 pm

Can't play the 'if only' game, it will do your head in.
There is opportunity within the volatility though, so as long as you are not risking money you can't afford to lose it is fine.

I have basically removed my principal investment, so I just pretend like it is monopoly money at this stage. maybe it will turn into something significant, maybe it won't :shrug:

It is kinda crazy and addictive though.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:14 pm

Post was too long for me- but what I gather you’re going to start wearing your watch and not giving an F about a scratch or too.

Congrats. Because the whole not scratching the watch while wearing it drives me nuts.

As graham says- put it on nylon and run it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

Heuerville
Name: Stewart

Post by Heuerville » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:45 pm

Jon,
I can completely sympathise with this.
My watch collecting has been 99% Heuer, and as I progressed with the hobby, the grails were NOS examples (they still are).
I got to this stage and had a 1/2 a box full.. and if they weren't NOS, I sought the parts and paid the $$ to have them restored to NOS. But then I was afraid to wear them. I now had a box full of watches I didn't dare wear.. So I sold most of them.. but I kept my favs, but in 3+ years, I haven't worn them!! Crazy.

In 2015 I bought an 80's Speedy from JTB on here, and that's what I've worn since - pretty much every day I wear it, and I don't worry about 'scarring' it.. and it's been a revelation. I wear it, I enjoy it, and I love the marks, scratches and dings it collects - and I'm much happier for it.
Stewart - Heuerville & Heuerville Straps
http://heuerville.wordpress.com/heuerville-straps/
"SOB get me a drink"

Grahamcombat
Name: Graham

Post by Grahamcombat » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:47 pm

Yep, run ‘em.

I’m debating dumping my BPFF’s for an AP Diver and yep, running it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

james80
Name: James

Post by james80 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:26 am

outtatime wrote:
mfxr wrote:
outtatime wrote:
mfxr wrote:

Nice. Unfortunately, I got in a little too late to . make that kind of money. By the time I'd sorted through stuff and actually done a lot of research, I'd missed the latter 2017 boon. When Ripple popped I made quite a bit, but foolishly held it for another day to see if it would hit $4. Nope. If only I'd hit "sell" that morning @ $3.28.
Too late for should have but a stop loss trailing a little behind the market would have been a good idea whilst waiting for $4.

Can you trade options on crypto? With this much volatility iron condors could make some money albeit with quite a lot of risk.

And well done on the wearing, use it, enjoy it and at some point service will make it like new again.

james80
Name: James

Post by james80 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:26 am

outtatime wrote:
mfxr wrote:
outtatime wrote:
mfxr wrote:

Too late for should have but a stop loss trailing a little behind the market would have been a good idea whilst waiting for $4.

Can you trade options on crypto? With this much volatility iron condors could make some money albeit with quite a lot of risk.

And well done on the wearing, use it, enjoy it and at some point service will make it like new again.

Zidane
Stevie's Nick
Name: Nick

Post by Zidane » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:56 am

I think every collector who works his way up the food chain has (or should have) that moment eventually.

Denizen

Post by Denizen » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:52 am

Every watch I have, which the exception of a Hamilton LE chrono...gets worn in rotation at some point. The exception isn't worn because I have zero desire to wear it...really shoudn't have bought it in the first place, but that's a story for a different day.

I have no safe queens.

So I'm glad you are over that hump.

shaneotool
Name: Paul

Post by shaneotool » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:47 am

This is why I usually buy used watches. If there is a small mark or two already on there, I am far less anal about wearing it.