Help needed with potential buyer

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 15007
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ann Arbor, MI USA

Re: Help needed with potential buyer

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:52 pm

Denizen wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:51 pm
Heuerville wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:47 pm
Denizen wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:44 pm

None of those would raise a flag.

Really?
They are oddball questions...maybe his way to of striking up a conversation, dunno. But not enough to squech a sale.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... m=cruising

User avatar
Heuerville
Posts: 4671
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:09 am
Name: Stewart
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Help needed with potential buyer

Post by Heuerville » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:55 pm

Denizen wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:51 pm
Heuerville wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:47 pm
Denizen wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:44 pm

None of those would raise a flag.

Really?
They are oddball questions...maybe his way to of striking up a conversation, dunno. But not enough to squelch a sale.
My answers:

Q. Where did you first acquire this watch and for how much?
A. Non of your fucking business, doesn't matter if I paid $20k or $2

Q. What made you give up this watch specifically?
A. I don't want it anymore, and I wanted to spend my evenings chatting with weirdos on the internet.

Q. You did mention thinning out the collection; was there something you found that you weren’t expecting?
A. Yes, I found out that I don't want the watch anymore.

Q. If you could switch this with any Glycine watch for free, what model would you consider? Or any other 24hr watch?
A. Don't fucking know, or care, or non of your business, I'm selling a watch, not offering advice on which watch I may or may not buy, or which watch is or isn't better than the one I'm selling. On the other hand, I would swap it for a Rolex Explorer II.. do you have one for a straight swap?
Stewart - Heuerville & Heuerville Straps
http://heuerville.wordpress.com/heuerville-straps/
"SOB get me a drink"

User avatar
Denizen
Posts: 1126
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:47 pm

Re: Help needed with potential buyer

Post by Denizen » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:02 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:52 pm
Denizen wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:51 pm
Heuerville wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:47 pm
Denizen wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:44 pm

None of those would raise a flag.

Really?
They are oddball questions...maybe his way to of striking up a conversation, dunno. But not enough to squech a sale.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... m=cruising
Could be! He could set up a burner phone and arrange a call.

Or walk away. I said that from the start.

User avatar
manitoujoe
Posts: 2933
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:37 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Help needed with potential buyer

Post by manitoujoe » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:03 pm

hahaha Well I sent him the options. And basically answered the questions, basically kinda sorta.

Thanks guys!! Maybe this was good for a laugh.
Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

User avatar
Heuerville
Posts: 4671
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:09 am
Name: Stewart
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Help needed with potential buyer

Post by Heuerville » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:06 pm

manitoujoe wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:03 pm
hahaha Well I sent him the options. And basically answered the questions, basically kinda sorta.

Thanks guys!! Maybe this was good for a laugh.
I bet $10 that you get a shed load of more questions in reply.. after a two day delay. :popcorn:
Stewart - Heuerville & Heuerville Straps
http://heuerville.wordpress.com/heuerville-straps/
"SOB get me a drink"

User avatar
manitoujoe
Posts: 2933
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:37 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Help needed with potential buyer

Post by manitoujoe » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:33 pm

Well, let's see. He agreed to F&F via PayPal, no questions. Maybe this is good? I can't imagine anything going wrong. Yeah?
Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

User avatar
Heuerville
Posts: 4671
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:09 am
Name: Stewart
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Help needed with potential buyer

Post by Heuerville » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:38 pm

manitoujoe wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:33 pm
Well, let's see. He agreed to F&F via PayPal, no questions. Maybe this is good? I can't imagine anything going wrong. Yeah?
Could just be an odd-ball that wants a genuine deal, could be trouble. Non of us know, it's a throw of the dice.
Only you can judge it. If F&F, then it sounds more of a genuine deal.
Stewart - Heuerville & Heuerville Straps
http://heuerville.wordpress.com/heuerville-straps/
"SOB get me a drink"

User avatar
deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Posts: 10019
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:29 pm
Name: Paul

Re: Help needed with potential buyer

Post by deepcdvr » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:41 pm

Do it and then if you get ripped off I know someone who will track him down for a small fee..
VR/
Paul

NEVER SETTLE!

User avatar
Heuerville
Posts: 4671
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:09 am
Name: Stewart
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Help needed with potential buyer

Post by Heuerville » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:43 pm

deepcdvr wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:41 pm
Do it and then if you get ripped off I know someone who will track him down for a small fee..
I've got a suspicion he's not joking either.
Stewart - Heuerville & Heuerville Straps
http://heuerville.wordpress.com/heuerville-straps/
"SOB get me a drink"

User avatar
manitoujoe
Posts: 2933
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:37 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Help needed with potential buyer

Post by manitoujoe » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:49 pm

Haha thanks buddy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

User avatar
manitoujoe
Posts: 2933
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:37 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Help needed with potential buyer

Post by manitoujoe » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:07 pm

Well he sent the funds, granted with another guys name attached. It’s pending so I have no problem waiting before I ship. Thanks for everything guys!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

User avatar
Axelay2003
Posts: 5160
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:03 am
Name: Gerard
Location: City of Oranges, FL

Re: Help needed with potential buyer

Post by Axelay2003 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:24 pm

It looks like the dude was legit. People here forget that we all once had zero feedback or zero post. It’s all good.
manitoujoe wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:07 pm
Well he sent the funds, granted with another guys name attached. It’s pending so I have no problem waiting before I ship. Thanks for everything guys!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's a beautiful world! Gerald.
ImageImage

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 41324
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Help needed with potential buyer

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:42 pm

Axelay2003 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:24 pm
It looks like the dude was legit. People here forget that we all once had zero feedback or zero post. It’s all good.
manitoujoe wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:07 pm
Well he sent the funds, granted with another guys name attached. It’s pending so I have no problem waiting before I ship. Thanks for everything guys!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just wait until that shit clears. Using someone else's name can be b.s.

User avatar
Heuerville
Posts: 4671
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:09 am
Name: Stewart
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Help needed with potential buyer

Post by Heuerville » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:47 pm

Axelay2003 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:24 pm
It looks like the dude was legit. People here forget that we all once had zero feedback or zero post. It’s all good.
manitoujoe wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:07 pm
Well he sent the funds, granted with another guys name attached. It’s pending so I have no problem waiting before I ship. Thanks for everything guys!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was his original email on the Paypal transfer?
As Terry has said, wait until the funds land. This sounds so dodgy.
Stewart - Heuerville & Heuerville Straps
http://heuerville.wordpress.com/heuerville-straps/
"SOB get me a drink"

User avatar
Denizen
Posts: 1126
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:47 pm

Re: Help needed with potential buyer

Post by Denizen » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:12 pm

Is Paypal F&F really proof against those that abuse/cheat the system? Seems too easy...

User avatar
fastward
Fast Eddie
Posts: 11225
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:45 pm

Help needed with potential buyer

Post by fastward » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:13 pm

How much are we talking?

Is he willing to do a PayPal gift?

User avatar
tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Posts: 4432
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:03 pm
Name: Don

Re: Help needed with potential buyer

Post by tattoo chef » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:04 am

manitoujoe wrote:Well he sent the funds, granted with another guys name attached. It’s pending so I have no problem waiting before I ship. Thanks for everything guys!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s pending???
Why would it be pending?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
jimyritz
Masshole
Posts: 22394
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:48 am
Name: Mike
Location: Boston

Re: Help needed with potential buyer

Post by jimyritz » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:33 am

tattoo chef wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:04 am
manitoujoe wrote:Well he sent the funds, granted with another guys name attached. It’s pending so I have no problem waiting before I ship. Thanks for everything guys!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s pending???
Why would it be pending?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
===============
Depends on sending and receiving bank- could take 1-3 days. As long as you hold the watch til funds ship I see little risk.In the end, I'd rather take longer to sell a watch than deal with any potential BS.

User avatar
mikeylacroix
Posts: 3661
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:00 am
Name: Mike

Re: Help needed with potential buyer

Post by mikeylacroix » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:03 am

N make sure shipping address matches PayPal address

User avatar
ericf4
(TBD) Penis
Posts: 14265
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:04 am
Contact:

Re: Help needed with potential buyer

Post by ericf4 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:19 am

Why was the payment in another guy's name?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk


User avatar
gwells
Posts: 6449
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 11:05 am
Name: Greg
Location: NoVA

Re: Help needed with potential buyer

Post by gwells » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:51 am

ericf4 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:19 am
Why was the payment in another guy's name?
totally this. that's a red flag.

User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 15007
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ann Arbor, MI USA

Re: Help needed with potential buyer

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:56 am

Friends and family doesn't insulate the seller against a buyer who claims their account was stolen as far as I know. I'd be careful about the non-matching name.

User avatar
JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Posts: 14063
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:30 pm
Name: Dave
Location: Canada

Re: Help needed with potential buyer

Post by JDC222 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:19 am

I don't think that this will end well... :doh:
Be polite, be professional but have a plan to kill everybody that you meet.

User avatar
straps68
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:48 am
Name: Michael
Location: Poland
Contact:

Re: Help needed with potential buyer

Post by straps68 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:22 am

^^^^
This is why I am thinking that it might be better if the buyer paid as G&S instead of F&F. PayPal itself states that when using G&S the transaction is "Covered by PayPal Buyer and Seller Protection". That of course would not protect the buyer against someone using a stolen account but PayPal could not claim that you received a gift from a friend so get lost.
straps68

My strap blog: http://straps68.blogspot.com/

User avatar
Denizen
Posts: 1126
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:47 pm

Re: Help needed with potential buyer

Post by Denizen » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:36 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:56 am
Friends and family doesn't insulate the seller against a buyer who claims their account was stolen as far as I know. I'd be careful about the non-matching name.
I share that sentiment.

If funds were drawn from a hacked Paypal account, I'm not sure that manitoujoe wouldn't be insulated from action. I sure as hell wouldn't ship the watch to anything other than the address on file with the account...barring the possibility that this wasn't fraudulently changed by the hacker either.

I've met a few collectors whose social skills were weak. So the 'odd' questions could be explained/overlooked.

If manitoujoe is going thru with this sale, proceed very carefully.

As said before, I'd walk. But manitoujoe isn't me...maybe he's been looking to sell this and it hasn't moved and he needs the money. :shrug:

Only way I would feel comfortable on this deal is the PO money order route for this buyer. It's slower but...

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chocodove, demer03, Google [Bot], MDF, R_Ongjoco, raf42, rockmastermike, texaslandman, TSD and 16 guests