Help needed with potential buyer

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Re: Help needed with potential buyer

Post by BacoNoir » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:46 am

Too many red flags. Walk away as others have said. USPS Money Order or wire transfer is safest at this point.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Post by Steve O. » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:22 am

I get a lot of inquiries from guys with zero posts on WUS, MWR and Watchnet. For some reason they'd rather register and contact me through a PM despite the fact that I always provide my direct e-mail in the sales post. Maybe it makes them feel more secure, but raises my Spidey senses. As for weird and just plain dumb questions, I could go on and on with examples...
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

Post by Jeep99dad » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:41 am

Denizen wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:56 am
Friends and family doesn't insulate the seller against a buyer who claims their account was stolen as far as I know. I'd be careful about the non-matching name.
I share that sentiment.

If funds were drawn from a hacked Paypal account, I'm not sure that manitoujoe wouldn't be insulated from action. I sure as hell wouldn't ship the watch to anything other than the address on file with the account...barring the possibility that this wasn't fraudulently changed by the hacker either.

I've met a few collectors whose social skills were weak. So the 'odd' questions could be explained/overlooked.

If manitoujoe is going thru with this sale, proceed very carefully.

As said before, I'd walk. But manitoujoe isn't me...maybe he's been looking to sell this and it hasn't moved and he needs the money. :shrug:

Only way I would feel comfortable on this deal is the PO money order route for this buyer. It's slower but...
ericf4 wrote:Why was the payment in another guy's name?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
mikeylacroix wrote:N make sure shipping address matches PayPal address
There would be No address on file or matching the address since it is a PayPal F&F payment and not intended for sales. How would he know what the buyer’s registered address is ??
Also it is not unusual, as surprising as it may seem to us, for some folks to to not have their own PayPal account and use a spouse, SO, brother’s, friend’s...
I’ve felt with two just this last week.

And yeah PayPal F&F isn’t 100% safe here but hardly anything is and if the seller is that concerned, he should just move on imho.
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

nweash
Name: Nick

Post by nweash » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:16 am

manitoujoe wrote:Well, let's see. He agreed to F&F via PayPal, no questions. Maybe this is good? I can't imagine anything going wrong. Yeah?

I heard a horror story of someone paying F&F then claiming his account was hacked.

YOHOHO
Dirty Closet Hinderer Whore
Name: Josh

Post by YOHOHO » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:33 am

damn. you guys would make me second guess every sale...

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:01 pm

I only accept Dogecoin for payments from non-DWC members. It is by far the safest currency and way to receive funds out there.
Last edited by streetracer101 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:03 pm

^^^^ much crypto.

Wow.
- Todd

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:11 pm

You are NOT protected by F&F no matter what. And honestly if a buyer claims their account was hacked Paypal usually sides with them. I have lost way too much money dealing with that shit. Another one is back charging, that has happened a few times to me also.

If the account is not in his name I would cancel it no matter what. That is way to dodgy to say the least.

Heuerville
Name: Stewart

Post by Heuerville » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:29 pm

The OP.. Mark, you had your warnings early on in this thread.
Take it or leave it.. your choice.

But why ask, if you're gonna go ahead with a dodgy as fuck deal anyway?
Stewart - Heuerville & Heuerville Straps
http://heuerville.wordpress.com/heuerville-straps/
"SOB get me a drink"

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:34 pm

^ that!

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:16 pm

^ that!

KidKeith
Name: KidKeith

Post by KidKeith » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:21 am

I have zero posts on WUS because I prefer it here. That said I do go one watch recon and damn near all of the hits are from WUS so I don't doubt I will make a deal on there at some point. Probably won't go well.

I've tried to deal on SCWF and had one go well and one go bad (didn't lose money, he just wouldn't sell to me).

I guess I just make deals here. I know the shit is genuine. I know the people are genuine. Unless it is a super unique piece it will likely come through here if you're patient enough. Same goes with selling. I understand if you really need to move something quick, but ... Reward for the risk just isn't there.

I'm curious to see how this all turns out. Exciting.

manitoujoe
Name: Mark

Post by manitoujoe » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:22 am

More clarification. First, the guy sent a F&F payment from his dad’s account. Well that’s what he said. It’s pending until the 16th. I’m sending nothing until it’s ok and in the account. Even then? I guess anyone can dispute a transaction if they wanted to.

Why am I dealing w him? No bites here. I’d much rather deal w one of you guys than anybody on WUS, but there’s usually no one here that wants the lower-end stuff.

I’m out nothing just yet. I’m not sure how to best handle it, but the risk is very real.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:24 am

wait for his funds to clear and send him a box with dog shit in it, Been done before to great applause.
Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

manitoujoe
Name: Mark

Post by manitoujoe » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:25 am

Hahaha

Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:26 am

then you are only out the shipping...and the dog shit.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:29 am

You just reiterated that “the risk is very real” and the answer is not to deal with the guy, but you did.

I hope it works out for you, but if it doesn’t it’s because you ignored the good advice provided here.

The guy can dispute up to six months from now. I’ve been burned this way and won’t do it again. In fact, I turned down a sale this morning.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:31 am

6 months is a loooooooong time....

ItnStln

Help needed with potential buyer

Post by ItnStln » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:37 am

BacoNoir wrote:Tell him since he’s got zero feedback, he’ll need to do wire transfer or you’ll have to find another buyer. That’s abut the only way to be certain.

That said, early on in my purchases with little history, I shared my LinkedIn account with sellers and sent them an e-mail from my work account to help them know who they were dealing with - not the same level of protection, but does help ID who you are really dealing with.
That’s a great point. Just because someone has no posts doesn’t mean they’re dishonest. They could have found the site through a Google search for the watch they were looking for. I’ve also bought from a seller who had no feedback but he provided me LinkedIn, name and address, and the website for the company he owned. It was a smooth transaction actually.
Last edited by ItnStln on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:39 am

i look every person up im selling to on Linkedin, Facebook , Google etc. I then look up their address too to ensure they all tie together. Not perfect but it gives me much more ease of whom im dealing with.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:48 am

I'd be asking for a photocopy of a valid driver's license.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:52 am

I’ve sold to zero post count guys before and they have generally asked stupid questions and made me nervous. I’ve searched for them on forums, eBay, LinkedIn, Facebook, etc and tried to do my due diligence to determine if they are a newbie or scammer. Generally I’ve sold them higher dollar amount watches and required wire transfer, but have accepted PayPal once. Didn’t get burned on any of those sales but I was nervous on several. Only the OP knows how all the red flags/info provided by the buyer really fit together - we just have a glimpse. GLWTS and I really hope it works out for you.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:09 am

hoppyjr wrote:You just reiterated that “the risk is very real” and the answer is not to deal with the guy, but you did.

I hope it works out for you, but if it doesn’t it’s because you ignored the good advice provided here.

The guy can dispute up to six months from now. I’ve been burned this way and won’t do it again. In fact, I turned down a sale this morning.
No he can’t. He can only dispute up to 6 months on a sale. Since it was sent as a gift, he can’t do that.

Now, as others have said, he can claim that his account was hacked etc.

He can also claim to PayPal he didn’t get item and then they will look at sellers account and see he sold an item without PayPal getting their fees and that is a big deal to them and they can suspend or cancel your account if they want to.

In the end, to the OP, none sounds worth it.

Cancel the sale and re-list on WUS or put on eBay and just charge enough to cover eBay and PayPal fees.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:24 am

tattoo chef wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:You just reiterated that “the risk is very real” and the answer is not to deal with the guy, but you did.

No he can’t. He can only dispute up to 6 months on a sale. Since it was sent as a gift, he can’t do that.

Now, as others have said, he can claim that his account was hacked etc.

He can also claim to PayPal he didn’t get item and then they will look at sellers account and see he sold an item without PayPal getting their fees and that is a big deal to them and they can suspend or cancel your account if they want to.

In the end, to the OP, none sounds worth it.

Cancel the sale and re-list on WUS or put on eBay and just charge enough to cover eBay and PayPal fees.

Don - it’s still six months. The account holder can claim the account was used without permission and the transaction is reversed. As Terry previously mentioned, PayPal “friends & family” has zero protection for a seller - and I’ve been burned by it in the past.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:34 am

Wire transfer or a F2F cash deal are the only ways I'd sell a watch to anyone other than a well known DWCer. Anything else isn't worth the risk to me.

Hope your deal works out.