Transformational shift?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Re: Transformational shift?

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:19 am

I'm of the same mind as Alex.

There are tons of people who dislike the Seiko Spring Drive movement, but I am not one of them. I feel the same way about this innovation.

My appreciation of a mechanical watch movement comes from their ability to run almost perpetually with just the movement of your arm and some basic maintenance. Whether it be a lowly Seiko 5 or a GS Spring Drive, both share this quality.

Innovations such as this in no way diminish this essential quality of mechanical watch movements.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:36 am

Here’s another thing to think about with this innovation - will it be serviced or replaced when time to service the movement? My guess is replaced.

One of things collectors value in vintage mechanical watches is originality. Cartier and Tudor are supposedly replacing movements rather than servicing them already and Omega is replacing chronograph modules rather than servicing them. It’s cheaper for them to do this rather than employ more highly skilled watchmakers - it’s becoming an assembly line process, rather than a skilled craft.

When I go to pass down my collection to the next generation, how much of the watch will be what I bought and owned in my lifetime - just the dial and case?
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

Morethan1
Frequent bumper of posts
Name: Alex

Post by Morethan1 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:49 am

BacoNoir wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:36 am
Here’s another thing to think about with this innovation - will it be serviced or replaced when time to service the movement? My guess is replaced.

One of things collectors value in vintage mechanical watches is originality. Cartier and Tudor are supposedly replacing movements rather than servicing them already and Omega is replacing chronograph modules rather than servicing them. It’s cheaper for them to do this rather than employ more highly skilled watchmakers - it’s becoming an assembly line process, rather than a skilled craft.

When I go to pass down my collection to the next generation, how much of the watch will be what I bought and owned in my lifetime - just the dial and case?
It's sad but the bottom line will always be $.
Are you willing to spend more money to have it serviced by a highly skilled watchmaker to keep the parts original vs an OEM replacement from the manufacturer? Obviously, if you go 3rd party, you might be able to get it serviced, NOT replaced. Then again, limited part availability is making this option more and more difficult.