fucking UPS... "predictive" tracking? wtf?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
gwells
Name: Greg

Re: fucking UPS... "predictive" tracking? wtf?

Post by gwells » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:10 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:25 pm
hoppes-no9 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:02 pm
We all understand that Christmas means slower shipping.

The solution is NOT for USPS to falsify its delivery information.

The solution is for USPS to structure their contracts -- with Amazon, and with Joe Public -- to reflect anticipated delays. They're idiots if they signed an agreement with Amazon to deliver within 2 days at this time of year. And the are idiots for trying to trick the public with their "predictive" tracking misinformation.

Believe me, I'm one of the USPS's biggest supporters -- or at least I have been, until recently. They do an AMAZING job delivering the bulk of our country's stuff, for very little cost, most of the year.

But this pattern of lying/misinformation is a problem.
While I wouldn't be surprised if this has happened, I doubt it is a systemic issue. My local USPS at both my residences does a great job with delivery times. Sure the tracking an be dicey, but they always get the package to its destination. UPS/FedEX seem more willing/likely to lose to when it comes to me.
In all fairness, I don't think the accusations levied against USPS are much different than the UPS/FedEx guy that doesn't bother knocking when a package needs a signature. I've had that happen on many occasions.
it's totally systemic. here's the link i posted earlier.

https://lifehacker.com/why-you-have-a-d ... 1821090068

i've seen the issue posted many times in multiple places. it happens to me all the time. when i bother to complain, i often get a free month of prime from amazon. i have to ask for it specifically now because they don't just offer it. probably because it's become enough of a problem that too many people complain.

again, as far as this package goes... i wasn't ticked off that the package was late. i know shit happens around the holidays. i was ticked off that they showed it being delivered to a certain location (final destination pickup depot) when it clearly hadn't left the previous location. then told me "we have no idea where it is right now. it's probably lost, start a claim with the shipper." don't have your system "predictively" "tell me ("guess") things you don't know. if the last scan was Laurel, MD, don't tell me it's been shipped from Laurel to Springfield, VA.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:49 pm

USPS is so unpredictable. This week I sent one package to Todd in NJ that was supposed to be Priority 3 Day, and one to Ralph in Miami that should have been Priority 1 Day. Todd got his package 1 day early and Ralph’s never went out for delivery so will be 1 day late (I hope).
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:57 pm

I shipped a watch 1-day shipping, it took 4 days. Regular shipping takes me 2-3 days. USPS is stupid.

apnk
Supergluing Miscreant
Name: Juan

Post by apnk » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:46 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:57 pm
I shipped a watch 1-day shipping, it took 4 days. Regular shipping takes me 2-3 days. USPS is stupid.
Yup happened to me recently. Other than that I’ve never had an issue with USPS when shipping with 2-3 day priority.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:18 am

Apparently USPS has just given up. I have multiple shipments right now, incoming and outgoing, that aren’t tracking any more. I guess I’ll just wait and see what shows up.
David St. Hubbins

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:25 am

yep, I have had more than a few deliveries from USPS marked as "delivered" on the site but actually show up the next day. Predictive or just CYA to show it was delivered by the promised time

This was a couple of years ago but Brice graciously gifted me a few panerai spring bars and the same day I bought something from Australia - you guessed it, the Australian package arrived sooner than the spring bars from 2 states away.

smh

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:28 am

USPS is the Amtrak of package handling. It’s government at its finest (worst) and employees simply don’t give a shit.

I use my local post office regularly. The staff, while reasonably friendly, is slow as molasses and the visual is exactly what one expects to see in a typical government office. A few days ago I happened in about five minutes before closing time. Every single counter person was moving quickly and efficiently, no bullshit chatting with the other employees, no shuffling the feet, no excuses - just fast and efficient. I was the last person in the line, then at the counter when all other customers were done. The staff verbally congratulated themselves on “getting out of there”.

If they showed this effort on a regular basis, they would be doing their jobs. That it only happens at closing time says it all.

Last edited by hoppyjr on Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:34 am

^^^That synopsis pretty much describes most all public services.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:41 am

When I was just out of high school I worked at a gas station, doing tires, oil changes, tune ups, and such. We had a local USPS mail carrier that would drop by around 12:30-1:00pm every day. He would park his little Jeep behind the station and bullshit with us for a while. Then he’d nap in his Jeep, then come in and visit a bit more, then leave.

I once asked him when he started work and he said “around 8:30”. I asked why he always hung out at our station and I he said “because I’ve finished my route.” Then I asked the obvious question; if you’re finished, why not just go back to work, turn in the Jeep, and go home. His reply, “because if I finish early and go in, they’ll give me more work or add to my route!”

I’m pretty sure this sums up the attitude of the typical worker.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:25 pm

More USPS fuckery. I’ve been waiting a few weeks for a package from Germany. Nothing expensive and I’m sure the holidays added some time to my wait. No big deal.
Today I got a notification that it was leaving my local USPS distribution center and headed for Marysville, WA. I’m not sure how many places in the contiguous US are further from my house than this. Unreal.

David St. Hubbins

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:28 pm

Marysville is an hour drive from me...lol WTF?!
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:28 pm

That’s about 45 min north of me.

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:49 pm

It’s really around the corner, Chris. They’re just “predicting” it’s in Washington.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:19 pm

Had a similar thing happen to me. Watch shipping from Arizona to Kentucky took a vacation to Hawaii before it eventually got to me.

TSD
Name: Tom

Re: fucking UPS...

Post by TSD » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:32 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:25 pm
Today I got a notification that it was leaving my local USPS distribution center and headed for Marysville, WA.
It's the sorting machine at the hub in WPB. The damn thing sent my son's G-Shock from there to Tampa before someone physically read the international shipping label and returned it Boca. It doesn't hurt to go to your local distribution center and have them add notes and the correct address to the tracking number, just in case.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:45 am

“We are the United States Postal Service; neither rain, nor snow, nor.....aw fuck it, we don’t really give a rats ass, but we pretend to sort of care so you idiots will keep funding our pension plan.”

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:30 am

Now it says it arrived at my local PO. Weird.
David St. Hubbins

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:51 am

Couple years ago I sold a SBDX012 to a man in Manhattan during that blizzard.

So for whatever reason it showed as delivered even though he didn’t get it almost 10days later, but only because he went to his local post office and ask they search the backroom. Sure enough it was just sitting on a counter top. Apparently there were other disgruntled customers searching for “delivered packages” and they were told they were all scanned to avoid the system from being overloaded. :rolleyes:

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:06 am

59yukon01 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:19 pm
Had a similar thing happen to me. Watch shipping from Arizona to Kentucky took a vacation to Hawaii before it eventually got to me.
had same happen to me, shipping Chicago to Utah, took a trip over to Hawaii and Alaska First as I recall....cray
Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

fastward
Fast Eddie

Post by fastward » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:52 am

USPS is using a Magic 8 Ball for tracking now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:49 am

I've currently got a few items en route. They're being delivered by EMS, Fedex, UPS, and USPS.

So far the only ones that have been delayed and/or are stalled at one location due to "weather conditions" have been my UPS packages. The others, even USPS, are trucking through - literally.

I remember a time when UPS wasn't so shitty or maybe I just didn't notice until now
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:43 am

UPS is the absolute worst. The fact that most packages don’t go anywhere for an entire weekend are enough reason not to use them.
David St. Hubbins

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:49 am

CGSshorty wrote:UPS is the absolute worst. The fact that most packages don’t go anywhere for an entire weekend are enough reason not to use them.
I think it is where you live too. I’ve had issues with USPS here, but with the amount I ship and the amount I receive, not that many. I rarely have issues with UPS and FEDEX.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:52 pm

tattoo chef wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:49 am
CGSshorty wrote:UPS is the absolute worst. The fact that most packages don’t go anywhere for an entire weekend are enough reason not to use them.
I think it is where you live too. I’ve had issues with USPS here, but with the amount I ship and the amount I receive, not that many. I rarely have issues with UPS and FEDEX.

I agree. UPS and Fedex suck where I live. USPS is a little better but no much.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:19 pm

More UPS tomfoolery. My wife is awaiting a pair of boots from Zappo’s. UPS claims they are delayed due to “severe weather”.
They’ve allegedly been in Palm Beach County since the 6th. Our most severe weather has been a bit cold and some rain today.

David St. Hubbins