Storage for safety deposit box?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Falssi
Name: James

Storage for safety deposit box?

Post by Falssi » Fri May 18, 2018 12:14 am

It depends on how much money you want to spend. I have a 700 lb Liberty Franklin 12 Best Gun Safe Under 1000 Reviews - Affordable Pick in [2017-2018] bolted to a concrete floor. The design is very pry resistant (high build quality) but with 11 ga steel that can be cut through using a $100 tool (cutter weighs about 3 lbs) (and plenty of spare blades) available at Home Depot in less than an hour. We're talking about a 2' x 4' hole in the side with little or no damage to the contents. Liberty makes lower end models than my safe and models with much thicker steel that requires a thicker wallet to buy. The lower end Liberty Centurion safes best wall safes have 14 ga steel an ax can punch through. But I bet I could get into the top of the line with 5/16" steel safes in less than 3-4 hrs with the same tool although I may bring a spare tool in case the 1st one burned out. Any experienced burglar can get into safes like this given enough time. Your goal is to make getting into the safe require more time than the burglar is willing to spend getting into it. A torch will get into the safe even faster but would probably damage the contents. Any safe with steel less than 5/8" thick and super well designed can be cut into given a few hours using readily available tools. They all talk about how they protect from drilling the lock or punching back the pins (drill small hole in the side of the safe to do this if the lock has a poor cam design) but with modern mechanical cutting tools (no torch or plasma cutter needed) cutting 3/8" steel isn't that hard to do given some time. Keep in mind that 95% of home burglars don't know how to cut a safe and want to get out of your home in less than 5 minutes so get some thick steel and slow them down if your budget allows for it and what you store in the safe is worth the additional expense.
Last edited by Falssi on Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
There are no solved problems; there are only problems that are more or less solved.
All the best, Falssi Diceus

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Re: Storage for safety deposit box?

Post by JDC222 » Fri May 18, 2018 7:44 am

....and a wall of text from Falssi. Who?
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

franco60

Post by franco60 » Mon May 21, 2018 9:16 am

I use a gun safe when I’m home and in and out and a safety deposit box when out of town. A safe that weighs 350 pounds or so is low-tech, but is a deterrent. They can still be gotten into if the burglar has time, tools, and determination. Most burglars are after the quick and easy pickins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Mon May 21, 2018 12:33 pm

I just use my gun safe which I had build into the wall of my closet when I remodeled the house (house has dormers and the safe is build into the "dead space" between the dormer wall and the rake of the roof).

I just loop the watches over the barrels of the rifles and shotguns, one watch per gun. I have a watch box on my dresser for daily storage and only do the gun safe thing when we are traveling.