President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Hoodinkee Authorized watch dealer?

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:30 pm

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Re: Hoodinkee Authorized watch dealer?

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:54 pm

What longwinded bullshit. You sell watches now. Great. Your editorial content won't be impacted. Yeah right.

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Post by Steve O. » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:30 pm

"HODINKEE is the best thing to ever happen to us, and the worst. More young people care about watches than ever before, but because of you, they know more than our salespeople." – JIM SEUSS, FORMER CEO OF TOURNEAU

Agreed - what a load of crap. How did we watch enthusiasts ever survive without this particular website to tell us what's what?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:47 pm

Hard to fathom why anyone would buy from the Hodinkee shop rather than a traditional AD when it comes at a cost of 15-20%. They had success with their LEs but if you wanted one of those models they were the only game in town. Selling watches at full price that you can buy from any AD at a healthy discount is a completely different matter. I guess time will tell if this pans out.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:48 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:What longwinded bullshit. You sell watches now. Great. Your editorial content won't be impacted. Yeah right.

^
This
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:02 am

BBK357 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:48 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:What longwinded bullshit. You sell watches now. Great. Your editorial content won't be impacted. Yeah right.

^
This
Yep. It's quite a flowery web store launch.
- Todd

outtatime
Name: Jon

Post by outtatime » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:15 am

If I was able to give myself an actual BJ with nearly the skill and finesse they can give themselves in print form, I’d never leave the house.

May I never be so rich and out of touch that I need that d-bag’s help buying a watch.
Current
Alpina Extreme Diver 300 | Benarus Ti47 | Breitling Avenger Seawolf | Eterna KonTiki Super 1973 | Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic | Hamilton Pan Europ | IWC Aquatimer 2000 | Korsbek Oceaneer | Linde Werdelin The One 2.6 | Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre | Omega Seamaster 300 Titanium | Omega Seamaster 2531.80 | Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow | Panerai 005 | Rolex Deepsea | Steinhart Nav-B 6497 | Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military | Stowa Seatime | Zenith El Primero Stratos

Incoming

Considering
PAM 422 | AP Royal Oak 15400 Silver | Rolex Explorer II 42mm Polar | Omega PO 8500 XL

Sometimes it's easier just to watch

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:19 am

From what I get from this is the are basically a concierge for people who don't what they hell they are looking for.

Goofy ass read for sure:
Here's the thing about watches today: a lot of 'em kinda suck. And we know that. That's why over on the editorial side of HODINKEE, you just see stories about the good ones. Why waste your time (and our own) covering things that simply aren't worthy of coverage? You don't see Vogue featuring mediocre designers simply to pan their products. We've always been about celebrating the best and ignoring the rest. With our selection of modern watches, we've taken the same approach. We'll be working with eight great brands at launch, and from each we've taken only a small handful of models. These launch partners include Grand Seiko, Longines, NOMOS Glashütte, Oris, Ressence, TAG Heuer, Vacheron Constantin, and Zenith. But again, you're not going to be seeing every watch from each of these brands' catalog on here, just the stuff that we really love and think will resonate with you.

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:43 am

i sure appreciate them "curating" for me, because i'd never be able to figure out what watch they think is cool without their help.

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:35 am

gwells wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:43 am
i sure appreciate them "curating" for me, because i'd never be able to figure out what watch they think is cool without their help.
flowery words and curating work well in:

HEADQUARTERS
New York, NY

....so more of -- I'm not really doing anything aside from creating "energy" for brands... :shifty: what the hell does that mean?
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:18 am

Typically there's payments made for creating energy for products ...
The Hapa

james80
Name: James

Post by james80 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:28 am

toxicavenger wrote:From what I get from this is the are basically a concierge for people who don't what they hell they are looking for.
And there are probably enough HODINKEE readers in this category to make them some money, it certainly looks that way to me based on their quoted vintage sales figures.

Why not just say you started a store with brands that support and partner with you. I'd respect that. You do good by them and they do good by you. It's not as if we're ever going back to the days of Autocar saying, of a Spitfire, "can some one please shoot it".

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:56 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:54 pm
What longwinded bullshit. You sell watches now. Great. Your editorial content won't be impacted. Yeah right.
Yep

These are accounting terms, so I don't expect Hodinkee to know about them, but then again, its almost common sense:

Independence in fact, that the auditor is actually unbiased.

Independence in appearance, which is based entirely on perceptions.

I do enjoy Jack Forster's articles, but Hodinkee will lose respect from the real enthusiasts, but it may not affect their bottom line :shrug:

I predict that in 5 years, Ben Clymer will leave Hodinkee saying it became "too big, too corporate" and start another blog.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:17 am

Joeprez wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:56 am

I predict that in 5 years, Ben Clymer will leave Hodinkee saying it became "too big, too corporate" and start another blog.
I agree with Joe on this point in that the "purity" of Ben's original blog has exploded and he/they can't put the toothpaste back in the tube so to speak and while it has been mutually & financially beneficial, Ben may miss the old days and he is established enough now to start over again - just my opinion :cheers:

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:27 am

HapaHapa wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:18 am
Typically there's payments made for creating energy for products ...
Understood.... I'm in the Midwest... I'm used to payments made for creating steel, and other products I can put my hands on.
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

james80
Name: James

Post by james80 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:37 am

HapaHapa wrote:Typically there's payments made for creating energy for products ...
No different from celebrity endorsements really. It's just the world is smaller and the market is bigger and non traditional figures have influence like never before. Remember we're in a world where Kim Kardashian can move $10M worth of perfume, that no one person from the general public has had a whiff of, in less than 24 hours.

He should just own it and stop trying to convince everyone about their integrity and independence. If he'd like to try to remain a journalist then walk the line with advertisers that every publication has to and stop selling stuff directly. Or decide your influence in worth X, sell anything you can and understand you may loose some of your following. But then I don't think Hoodinkee has been about "us" for quite a while.

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:28 pm

rockmastermike wrote:
Joeprez wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:56 am

I agree with Joe on this point in that the "purity" of Ben's original blog has exploded and he/they can't put the toothpaste back in the tube so to speak and while it has been mutually & financially beneficial, Ben may miss the old days and he is established enough now to start over again - just my opinion :cheers:
This may not be easy to do. If he wants an exit plan, I’m guessing the financial benefit to leaving may have some prohibitions against doing just that, as he would probably siphon if much of the brand value by starting a new horology blog.

R@cerx
Name: David

Post by R@cerx » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:47 pm

I found this in the comments of the article, made me chuckle...

Dear Ben, Hodinkee,

As a French native speaker I cannot help but feel irritated every time I see a typo in one of the French words you use in your articles.
Given the status of Hodinkee, the influence of French vocabulary in the world of watches and the tools at your disposal (search engines, to begin with), I cannot fathom how such mistakes still get published. It's written "avant-garde", so if you're not gonna spell check it, don't use it because it makes you look bad.

Best,
Kris.

jojo2
Name: Chan

Post by jojo2 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:04 pm

When you can drum up more bullshit the price of watches go up. The more bullshit the higher the price. The next hot watch to have is called Hodbullshit.

four20
Name: erik

Post by four20 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:08 pm

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:10 pm

four20 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:08 pm
hahaha good one

Heuerville
Name: Stewart

Post by Heuerville » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:20 pm

jojo2 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:04 pm
When you can drum up more bullshit the price of watches go up. The more bullshit the higher the price. The next hot watch to have is called Hodbullshit.
:lol:
Stewart - Heuerville & Heuerville Straps
http://heuerville.wordpress.com/heuerville-straps/
"SOB get me a drink"