Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Re: Red Bar event Friday

Post by Ryeguy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:04 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:38 pm
Kudos to Adam for turning a watch G2G into the modern equivalent of a Tupperware party for shitty watch brands. The guy knows how to monetize.
I just find it the height of irony that a guy who publicly expressed extremely liberal viewpoints is the founder of what sounds like a very exclusionary club.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:12 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:04 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
Kudos to Adam for turning a watch G2G into the modern equivalent of a Tupperware party for shitty watch brands. The guy knows how to monetize.
I just find it the height of irony that a guy who publicly expressed extremely liberal viewpoints is the founder of what sounds like a very exclusionary club.
Not to mention an extremely good capitalist. I'm sure all the RB money got donated to socially progressive causes.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:23 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:22 pm
matt.wu wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:18 pm
I've asked for an invite to the SF event a few times and can't seem to get on the list...

I don't think I'd go anyway, since it's not really my style of meet up, but still. Sadface.
This happened to quite a few people in the Chicago group and Philly group. So that turned us off form even considering adopting that name. Not to mention the name is gay. :mrgreen:
==================
Happened to me as well here in Boston....Kudos to Adam for all the work he has done and continues to do in respect to RB.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:18 am

I like Adam and would like him more if he would just sell my blue snowflake back to me :)

But I don’t get the redbar thing. Back when they were doing it in NYC my brother and I joked we should take a few days a visit all the original DWC guys. Now it seems there aren’t many involved and it’s very exclusive.

Maybe Adam made it that way for a reason, so we couldn’t just show up?
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

hidden by leaves
Name: Anthony

Post by hidden by leaves » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:22 am

Baaa haha. Shitter’s full!!

Nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Send lawyers, guns and money...

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:33 am

Ryeguy wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Couldn’t be further from the truth. The real RB welcomed everyone. It sounds like a local “chapter” has set their own rules.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:24 am

CGSshorty wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:33 am
Ryeguy wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Couldn’t be further from the truth. The real RB welcomed everyone. It sounds like a local “chapter” has set their own rules.
I think you make a good point which highlights a key difference. There was a "Real RedBar" and now there is this franchised roadshow.

From what I'm reading, the exclusionary rules seem to be common given that neither Wu in San Francisco nor Mike in Boston could get an invite. From what Terry mentioned, it seems to also be occurring in Philly and Chicago.

I'm actually curious what the rules of eligibility are. Is it your collection or simply having to know the "right" people?

Personally, I have no issues with something being an invite only or exclusionary club. Heck, if I were going to bring thousands of dollars worth of watches to some event, I'd hope there would be some kind of security measure in place (i.e. invite only).

My only point is Adam's historic social / economic viewpoints seem to be contradictory to this kind of environment where only certain people are deemed worthy to be invited to attend. Again, it isn't the eligibility rules which bother me, it is the person associated with the rules that I find irony in.

BTW - if anyone wants to have a GTG in Portsmouth NH, I have access to a very private, exclusionary, club we can use.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:46 am

I remember back when the NY guys started it and seeing about it here. I wanted to go once as it sounded like a great causal meetup with some cool cats.
Then it became a franchise or chapter. Early on I still wanted to attend as it still seemed like a good time. But corporate sponsors and now the invitation only and other rules make it something I have no interest in.
As others have said, Kudos to Adam as far as monetizing it and the fact that watch guys such as ourselves have gotten some real notoriety in the press and maybe it is making more people get into collecting watches.
But I couldn’t care less if I get an invite and I haven’t been seeking one out either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outtatime
Name: Jon

Post by outtatime » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:54 am

Panerai7 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:20 am
Speaking of prescriptions and viruses, yet another Black Bay is out, this time it's green. Pic from IG

Yep, want one. Limited to 100, already pre-sold out, only offered to existing Harrod's customers.

"Hey, introducing this all-new, exclusive, never-before-seen awesome watch. Already sold out to people on a list that you weren't part of, and never will be. #sorrynotsorry"
Current
Alpina Extreme Diver 300 | Benarus Ti47 | Breitling Avenger Seawolf | Eterna KonTiki Super 1973 | Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic | Hamilton Pan Europ | IWC Aquatimer 2000 | Korsbek Oceaneer | Linde Werdelin The One 2.6 | Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre | Omega Seamaster 300 Titanium | Omega Seamaster 2531.80 | Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow | Panerai 005 | Rolex Deepsea | Steinhart Nav-B 6497 | Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military | Stowa Seatime | Zenith El Primero Stratos

Incoming

Considering
PAM 422 | AP Royal Oak 15400 Silver | Rolex Explorer II 42mm Polar | Omega PO 8500 XL

Sometimes it's easier just to watch

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:57 am

Ryeguy wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
I think you make a good point which highlights a key difference. There was a "Real RedBar" and now there is this franchised roadshow.

From what I'm reading, the exclusionary rules seem to be common given that neither Wu in San Francisco nor Mike in Boston could get an invite. From what Terry mentioned, it seems to also be occurring in Philly and Chicago.

I'm actually curious what the rules of eligibility are. Is it your collection or simply having to know the "right" people?

Personally, I have no issues with something being an invite only or exclusionary club. Heck, if I were going to bring thousands of dollars worth of watches to some event, I'd hope there would be some kind of security measure in place (i.e. invite only).

My only point is Adam's historic social / economic viewpoints seem to be contradictory to this kind of environment where only certain people are deemed worthy to be invited to attend. Again, it isn't the eligibility rules which bother me, it is the person associated with the rules that I find irony in.

BTW - if anyone wants to have a GTG in Portsmouth NH, I have access to a very private, exclusionary, club we can use.
We had a gtg in CT a few yrs ago and had a great time. Lots of folks including Adam attended. There was no exclusivity there and people brought all kinds of collections.

I understand the invite only piece for security reasons, but if there are criteria other then that, then that's too douchy for me. I've had plenty of mini gtgs with people that have collections of watches I'd never wear, but can still appreciate. In my experience, the best gtgs are the ones where there is 30 min of watch fondling, followed by 2-3 hrs of boozing and talking BS. It sounds like the RB model is much different than that, so I can honestly say I have zero desire to take part. I work with enough up tight middle aged Caucasians as it is. I have no desire to gravitate to gatherings that cater to that demographic.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:10 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Not to mention the name is gay. :mrgreen:
I can't wrap my head around the concept. What's the point of an official "Red Bar" meet-up? Why pay a fee just so you can call your meet-up "Red Bar"?

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:10 am

outtatime wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:54 am
Panerai7 wrote:
Speaking of prescriptions and viruses, yet another Black Bay is out, this time it's green. Pic from IG

Yep, want one. Limited to 100, already pre-sold out, only offered to existing Harrod's customers.

"Hey, introducing this all-new, exclusive, never-before-seen awesome watch. Already sold out to people on a list that you weren't part of, and never will be. #sorrynotsorry"
There's word of a second run and a non-number version (in addition to the 100 run LE). Who knows, if you hunt you might be able to get one.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:12 am

Selym wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:10 am
toxicavenger wrote:
I can't wrap my head around the concept. What's the point of an official "Red Bar" meet-up? Why pay a fee just so you can call your meet-up "Red Bar"?
Because... :scratch:

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:16 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Selym wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
Because... :scratch:
Exclusivity for insecure people.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:24 am

streetracer101 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:57 am
Ryeguy wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:

We had a gtg in CT a few yrs ago and had a great time. Lots of folks including Adam attended. There was no exclusivity there and people brought all kinds of collections.

I understand the invite only piece for security reasons, but if there are criteria other then that, then that's too douchy for me. I've had plenty of mini gtgs with people that have collections of watches I'd never wear, but can still appreciate. In my experience, the best gtgs are the ones where there is 30 min of watch fondling, followed by 2-3 hrs of boozing and talking BS. It sounds like the RB model is much different than that, so I can honestly say I have zero desire to take part. I work with enough up tight middle aged Caucasians as it is. I have no desire to gravitate to gatherings that cater to that demographic.

I was at that GTG and took part in the Groton "tour". Unfortunately, I had a head cold and couldn't booze it up like I had planned. I caught crap from someone's wife because she saw me drinking coffee!

I don't remember Adam attending that GTG as I think it was right after Hurricane Sandy trashed NYC.

It was a good time though. Nothing like mixing watches, booze, and nuclear attack submarines....

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:27 am

Ryeguy wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:

I was at that GTG and took part in the Groton "tour". Unfortunately, I had a head cold and couldn't booze it up like I had planned. I caught crap from someone's wife because she saw me drinking coffee!

I don't remember Adam attending that GTG as I think it was right after Hurricane Sandy trashed NYC.

It was a good time though. Nothing like mixing watches, booze, and nuclear attack submarines....
Different one. The last one I went to here was in Hartford.

I'm in the area for about 3 more months and would love to do another. We should set something up.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:37 am

I'm game. I grew up outside of Hartford (which is why I moved up to the seacoast of NH!). I'll actually be in Hartford this weekend for my daughter's Irish step dancing contest. If you ever think having a watch hobby is expensive, have a kid who is into step dancing....

The GTG I was referring to technically did happen in Hartford. Mostly the Russian Lady if I remember correctly. The Groton thing was a special event prequel organized by our resident (now semi-retired) squid, Paul.

Good times and definitely worth a repeat. I think Mark is friends with one of the Hartford area AD's and he organized some GTG's in the past.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:37 am

outtatime wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:

Exactly.

I love this version. Prob my favorite BB.
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:50 am

Selym wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
Why pay big $$$ to call your burger restaurant "Five Guys' when you could call it "One Guy with a Grill" for free? ;)

I guess if you're looking to draw a big crowd of a certain demographic to a GTG - perhaps the GTG is part of an arrangement with a retailer or boutique who would be willing to pay a RB franchisee a fee to guarantee a good turnout at an event- then the 'brand recognition' could be useful. This is a completely different model than the "let's look at a few watches and grab some beers" model that most of us here seem to favor for GTGs.

I don't think it's any accident that the Redbar-sponsored events I've been to were at high-end watch retailers and boutiques - and were very well attended.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:58 am

Isn't the original true Red Bar (Korean bar) now closed?

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:05 am

Ryeguy wrote:Isn't the original true Red Bar (Korean bar) now closed?
Yes. It actually closed very early in “Red Bar” history but we continued to use the name no matter where we met.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Post by aikiman44 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:07 am

Morning gents.
Like, Chris, Barry, Matt and a couple others, I'm an OG Red Bar member. Like a great restaurant that you've 'found', or a cool resort that's under the radar, once the idea gets out then there'll be a lot more people involved. No more small Red Bar GTS's. I enjoy them when I bump into 'old' friends and catch up. I don't attend many regular Red Bar GTS's, but occasionally go to one that's in a cool bar, restaurant, penthouse, boutique, etc.

Regarding exclusivity, I doubt it. I think it's probably lack of personnel, overwork, or the huge amounts of emails that they receive. It's probably impossible to cover them all, and unfortunately some good people get left out.

Regarding Adam's politics and monetizing Red Bar, I think that's way off the mark. Adam participates in many charitable activities, such as an all night soup kitchen, charity events, etc. He does more than his share to help those who need it in our society. This I know for a fact. Political beliefs notwithstanding.
But remember, Red Bar is his job now. It's how he supports his family and puts food on the table. All of the watch organizations, such as Hodinkee, Worn and Wound, etc., are running businesses. They may participate in other events, but they only promote their own. This is the way it's done.

Yes, Red Bar is big now and it's never going back to the smaller, intimate events. Unless you attend one of the smaller events in a restaurant, boutique, etc.

But 'independent' events are still alive and well. I always have a blast getting together with WUS and I'm sorry I don't go to more.
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:30 am

streetracer101 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:27 am
Ryeguy wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:

Different one. The last one I went to here was in Hartford.

I'm in the area for about 3 more months and would love to do another. We should set something up.

===========================
There was a GTG in Hartford ( Mark organized) where we were hosted by Al at Armstrong Rockwell Jewelers....AC was at that one---I would be up for another GTG- that was a good time..

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:31 am

Is Al still selling watches? I always liked him.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:33 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:31 am
Is Al still selling watches? I always liked him.
I see listings on recon all the time from him. New pieces listed at MSRP.
- Todd