Red Bar event Friday

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Re: Red Bar event Friday

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:15 pm

Thanks for typing that out Matt. Add in his disdain for "fly over country" to his willingness to monetize a watch g2g to those same people, and you get this response.

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:17 pm

matt.wu wrote:I don't think anyone is jealous about what Adam created. Most are talking about what RedBar is in it's current form and whether or not it's something effective or that we even want to be a part of.

Side note: the only time I've ever butted heads with Adam is when he got called out for the way he derided those who differed in opinion on watches he was paid to pump. This derision generally came in the form of "well if you had seen them in person and had drinks and a tea party with the CEO of the brand, you'd realize differently". He apparently didn't like that, and he took his marbles and went home. That reaction, more so than the initial grievance of contempt itself, turned me off to the direction he was headed.

Personally, the pomp and flair around being interested in expensive watches has been the part of watches I like the least, and thus DWC and smaller GTGs will always be my comfort zone as opposed to TRF and RedBar events.
Well put Matt. I like the comraderi more than the watches. I couldn't care less if a gtg has nothing but Pateks and vintage subs if the owners suck or if they have no interest in any topics aside from watches. That's why I like DWC. There are enough well rounded people here to keep interesting topics moving about. After you've collected watches for a few years, there aren't enough break thru topics occurring weekly to keep a forum from going stale. That's one of the reasons why I lost interest in WUS.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:20 pm

Just wait until Hodinkee enters the fray with HodinkBar.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:34 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:01 pm
ISide note: the only time I've ever butted heads with Adam is when he got called out for the way he derided those who differed in opinion on watches he was paid to pump. This derision generally came in the form of "well if you had seen them in person and had drinks and a tea party with the CEO of the brand, you'd realize differently". He apparently didn't like that, and he took his marbles and went home. That reaction, more so than the initial grievance of contempt itself, turned me off to the direction he was headed
for me it was when he said he had to deal with diversity everyday because he was half black. :scratch: :roll:

unixshrk
This. Truth.
Name: Chris

Post by unixshrk » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:03 pm

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:39 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:Just wait until Hodinkee enters the fray with HodinkBar.
If they're smart they'll call it HoBar. That might draw some good crowds.

MikeyLikesIt

Post by MikeyLikesIt » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:26 pm

unixshrk wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:03 pm
:lol: Austin and DFW. Why not throw El Paso into the mix