Red Bar event Friday

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
User avatar
BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Posts: 22978
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:01 pm
Name: Vladimir Makarov
Location: Ohio

Re: Red Bar event Friday

Post by BBK357 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:33 am

Wait- Adams fill time job is redbar?
Damn I’m totally not in the whole watch/instagram world. I thought he was still tied down at Macy’s!




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE

BIG WHOOP. IM SPOONING A BARRETT 50 CAL, I COULD KILL A BUILDING.

User avatar
tmw
Posts: 2472
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:10 pm
Name: The Enabler
Location: Philly

Re: Red Bar event Friday

Post by tmw » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:38 am

The funny part about all the GTG.....they started way back....and a lot of us were focused on kobold!

I remember meeting quite a few people from the before Red-Bar days in events in Philly - with Martin Pulli (a great guy and watch place in Manayunk), and even Mike Kobold and Dan Sciocia (to me the real deal at kobold) attended a couple and paid for food and beverages...

Good for him and those involved if a hobby and passion grew into a new opportunity. He has certainly poured his heart and soul into doing this. Frankly, we all have the opportunity do do this - if we put the time into it. He took the initiative and ran with it as far as he could go!
“To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Sandman

User avatar
aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Posts: 6950
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:50 am
Name: Dr Jay
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Red Bar event Friday

Post by aikiman44 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:10 pm

That’s exactly right.
He gave up Macy’s a while ago to devote himself to Red Bar.
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

User avatar
rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Posts: 14243
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:13 pm
Name: WDE

Re: Red Bar event Friday

Post by rockmastermike » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:30 pm

I know membership is not based on $$ watches because they let me in :shock:

I knew and would meet with a few of the ATL guys before RedBar and a couple of them they just ran with it and I was "grandfathered" in you could say.
we still meet sometimes outside of the branded GTG's. And I still join WUS and the occasional OB invitation/meet ups when I can - lots of options for wis out there. :cheers:
Man's Not Hot

User avatar
CGSshorty
Admin
Posts: 29341
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Re: Red Bar event Friday

Post by CGSshorty » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:44 pm

aikiman44 wrote:Morning gents.
Like, Chris, Barry, Matt and a couple others, I'm an OG Red Bar member. Like a great restaurant that you've 'found', or a cool resort that's under the radar, once the idea gets out then there'll be a lot more people involved. No more small Red Bar GTS's. I enjoy them when I bump into 'old' friends and catch up. I don't attend many regular Red Bar GTS's, but occasionally go to one that's in a cool bar, restaurant, penthouse, boutique, etc.

Regarding exclusivity, I doubt it. I think it's probably lack of personnel, overwork, or the huge amounts of emails that they receive. It's probably impossible to cover them all, and unfortunately some good people get left out.

Regarding Adam's politics and monetizing Red Bar, I think that's way off the mark. Adam participates in many charitable activities, such as an all night soup kitchen, charity events, etc. He does more than his share to help those who need it in our society. This I know for a fact. Political beliefs notwithstanding.
But remember, Red Bar is his job now. It's how he supports his family and puts food on the table. All of the watch organizations, such as Hodinkee, Worn and Wound, etc., are running businesses. They may participate in other events, but they only promote their own. This is the way it's done.

Yes, Red Bar is big now and it's never going back to the smaller, intimate events. Unless you attend one of the smaller events in a restaurant, boutique, etc.

But 'independent' events are still alive and well. I always have a blast getting together with WUS and I'm sorry I don't go to more.
tmw wrote:The funny part about all the GTG.....they started way back....and a lot of us were focused on kobold!

I remember meeting quite a few people from the before Red-Bar days in events in Philly - with Martin Pulli (a great guy and watch place in Manayunk), and even Mike Kobold and Dan Sciocia (to me the real deal at kobold) attended a couple and paid for food and beverages...

Good for him and those involved if a hobby and passion grew into a new opportunity. He has certainly poured his heart and soul into doing this. Frankly, we all have the opportunity do do this - if we put the time into it. He took the initiative and ran with it as far as he could go!
Well said, gentlemen. There is a lot of bad information out there about RB.
I don’t enjoy what it has become, but that’s my problem, not Adam’s. I’m glad it is working for him.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

User avatar
TimelessLuxWatches
Posts: 715
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:14 pm
Name: Brett

Re: Red Bar event Friday

Post by TimelessLuxWatches » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:52 pm

outtatime wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:54 am
Panerai7 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:20 am
Speaking of prescriptions and viruses, yet another Black Bay is out, this time it's green. Pic from IG

Image
Yep, want one. Limited to 100, already pre-sold out, only offered to existing Harrod's customers.

"Hey, introducing this all-new, exclusive, never-before-seen awesome watch. Already sold out to people on a list that you weren't part of, and never will be. #sorrynotsorry"
This seems to be the modus operandi for Tudor's future LEs.

User avatar
streetracer101
Posts: 7845
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:41 pm
Name: Mr Shackleford

Re: Red Bar event Friday

Post by streetracer101 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:57 pm

TimelessLuxWatches wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:52 pm
outtatime wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:54 am
Panerai7 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:20 am
Speaking of prescriptions and viruses, yet another Black Bay is out, this time it's green. Pic from IG

Image
Yep, want one. Limited to 100, already pre-sold out, only offered to existing Harrod's customers.

"Hey, introducing this all-new, exclusive, never-before-seen awesome watch. Already sold out to people on a list that you weren't part of, and never will be. #sorrynotsorry"
This seems to be the modus operandi for Tudor's future LEs.
The better MO is take a watch that is successful and release every color/material configuration in the rainbow until people stop buying them. I won't be surprised when the BB is available in a titanium case with a pink dial :gayumbrella:
Image

User avatar
TimelessLuxWatches
Posts: 715
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:14 pm
Name: Brett

Re: Red Bar event Friday

Post by TimelessLuxWatches » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:11 pm

Learning a lot about Red Bar here. I guess I'm a watch collecting hermit since my watch collecting world extended primarily to people I was already friends with in college/grad school or to people online. The very notion of watch collecting events is something I didn't even encounter until maybe 2014.

User avatar
TimelessLuxWatches
Posts: 715
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:14 pm
Name: Brett

Re: Red Bar event Friday

Post by TimelessLuxWatches » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:14 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:57 pm
TimelessLuxWatches wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:52 pm
outtatime wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:54 am
Panerai7 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:20 am
Speaking of prescriptions and viruses, yet another Black Bay is out, this time it's green. Pic from IG

Image
Yep, want one. Limited to 100, already pre-sold out, only offered to existing Harrod's customers.

"Hey, introducing this all-new, exclusive, never-before-seen awesome watch. Already sold out to people on a list that you weren't part of, and never will be. #sorrynotsorry"
This seems to be the modus operandi for Tudor's future LEs.
The better MO is take a watch that is successful and release every color/material configuration in the rainbow until people stop buying them. I won't be surprised when the BB is available in a titanium case with a pink dial :gayumbrella:
Pink dial Black Bay you say? I know what our next LE is going to be...

User avatar
Torrid
Posts: 5205
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:43 am
Name: Heath
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Red Bar event Friday

Post by Torrid » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:21 pm

TimelessLuxWatches wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:14 pm
streetracer101 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:57 pm
TimelessLuxWatches wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:52 pm
outtatime wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:54 am
Panerai7 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:20 am
Speaking of prescriptions and viruses, yet another Black Bay is out, this time it's green. Pic from IG

Image
Yep, want one. Limited to 100, already pre-sold out, only offered to existing Harrod's customers.

"Hey, introducing this all-new, exclusive, never-before-seen awesome watch. Already sold out to people on a list that you weren't part of, and never will be. #sorrynotsorry"
This seems to be the modus operandi for Tudor's future LEs.
The better MO is take a watch that is successful and release every color/material configuration in the rainbow until people stop buying them. I won't be surprised when the BB is available in a titanium case with a pink dial :gayumbrella:
Pink dial Black Bay you say? I know what our next LE is going to be...
You can’t tell me that there aren’t a few watch guys that wouldn’t buy one for their wives.

User avatar
streetracer101
Posts: 7845
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:41 pm
Name: Mr Shackleford

Re: Red Bar event Friday

Post by streetracer101 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:30 pm

Torrid wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:21 pm
TimelessLuxWatches wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:14 pm
streetracer101 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:57 pm
TimelessLuxWatches wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:52 pm
outtatime wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:54 am
Panerai7 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:20 am
Speaking of prescriptions and viruses, yet another Black Bay is out, this time it's green. Pic from IG

Image
Yep, want one. Limited to 100, already pre-sold out, only offered to existing Harrod's customers.

"Hey, introducing this all-new, exclusive, never-before-seen awesome watch. Already sold out to people on a list that you weren't part of, and never will be. #sorrynotsorry"
This seems to be the modus operandi for Tudor's future LEs.
The better MO is take a watch that is successful and release every color/material configuration in the rainbow until people stop buying them. I won't be surprised when the BB is available in a titanium case with a pink dial :gayumbrella:
Pink dial Black Bay you say? I know what our next LE is going to be...
You can’t tell me that there aren’t a few watch guys that wouldn’t buy one for their wives.
I am pretty sure there are a few here that would buy one for themselves.
Image

User avatar
RALAustin
Posts: 3136
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:52 pm
Name: Rob

Re: Red Bar event Friday

Post by RALAustin » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:41 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:58 pm
aztecknight wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:55 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:40 pm
Told the guys in Austin they should call theirs Weird Bar, but they went with Redbar instead. :shrug:
Who runs the one in Austin? I didn't even know we had one.
flutedbezel on IG, he is a cool dude named Jay. https://www.instagram.com/flutedbezel/ Or you can email them at RedBarAustin@gmail.com

Bizarre. Had no idea that there was one in Austin either. Of course, I have never been on Instagram or any of those things. Might be interesting to attend one ..., yea probably not. Besides, sounds like I could never get an invite.

User avatar
MikeyLikesIt
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:44 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Red Bar event Friday

Post by MikeyLikesIt » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:18 pm

RALAustin wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:41 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:58 pm
aztecknight wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:55 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:40 pm
Told the guys in Austin they should call theirs Weird Bar, but they went with Redbar instead. :shrug:
Who runs the one in Austin? I didn't even know we had one.
flutedbezel on IG, he is a cool dude named Jay. https://www.instagram.com/flutedbezel/ Or you can email them at RedBarAustin@gmail.com

Bizarre. Had no idea that there was one in Austin either. Of course, I have never been on Instagram or any of those things. Might be interesting to attend one ..., yea probably not. Besides, sounds like I could never get an invite.
Had no idea either

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 39462
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Red Bar event Friday

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:54 pm

MikeyLikesIt wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:18 pm
RALAustin wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:41 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:58 pm
aztecknight wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:55 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:40 pm
Told the guys in Austin they should call theirs Weird Bar, but they went with Redbar instead. :shrug:
Who runs the one in Austin? I didn't even know we had one.
flutedbezel on IG, he is a cool dude named Jay. https://www.instagram.com/flutedbezel/ Or you can email them at RedBarAustin@gmail.com

Bizarre. Had no idea that there was one in Austin either. Of course, I have never been on Instagram or any of those things. Might be interesting to attend one ..., yea probably not. Besides, sounds like I could never get an invite.
Had no idea either
They are having the second meeting very soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
streetracer101
Posts: 7845
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:41 pm
Name: Mr Shackleford

Re: Red Bar event Friday

Post by streetracer101 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:11 pm

Adam has created a pretty nice site for RB: http://redbargroup.com/
I am not really interested in it, but he's done well with the branding and I admire some who can take a hobby and make a living off it. There's even a RB sponsored charity link in it (for those who question his devotion to community involvement).
Image

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 39462
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Red Bar event Friday

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:31 pm

aikiman44 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:07 am
Regarding Adam's politics and monetizing Red Bar, I think that's way off the mark. Adam participates in many charitable activities, such as an all night soup kitchen, charity events, etc. He does more than his share to help those who need it in our society. This I know for a fact. Political beliefs notwithstanding.
Jay I don't think Chris was questioning where or not Adam gives back to his community. I think he was saying the exclusiveness of the Redbar went against what it seemed like Adam preached. But Shorty said that isn't true in NYC, so that clears that up. I can just tell it isn't true at other Redbars, so that would not shine a positive light on them as a whole.

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 39462
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Red Bar event Friday

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:32 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:11 pm
Adam has created a pretty nice site for RB: http://redbargroup.com/
I am not really interested in it, but he's done well with the branding and I admire some who can take a hobby and make a living off it. There's even a RB sponsored charity link in it (for those who question his devotion to community involvement).
Rob I think that was taken out of context. No one questioned his community involvement at all.

User avatar
dshap
Favorite shirt size: Schmedium.
Posts: 8463
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:28 am
Name: David
Location: NY

Re: Red Bar event Friday

Post by dshap » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:48 am

I don't know anything about how these new Red Bar chapters work, all I know about is the original NYC Red Bar. It's not "exclusive" and it doesn't matter how expensive your collection is. I'd just assume that what some people are perceiving as exclusivity is just these chapters taking some security measures to avoid getting robbed.
-David

User avatar
streetracer101
Posts: 7845
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:41 pm
Name: Mr Shackleford

Re: Red Bar event Friday

Post by streetracer101 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:05 am

toxicavenger wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:11 pm
Adam has created a pretty nice site for RB: http://redbargroup.com/
I am not really interested in it, but he's done well with the branding and I admire some who can take a hobby and make a living off it. There's even a RB sponsored charity link in it (for those who question his devotion to community involvement).
Rob I think that was taken out of context. No one questioned his community involvement at all.
I wasn't insinuating anything regarding a specific member here.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Image

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 39462
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Red Bar event Friday

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:23 am

dshap wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:48 am
I don't know anything about how these new Red Bar chapters work, all I know about is the original NYC Red Bar. It's not "exclusive" and it doesn't matter how expensive your collection is. I'd just assume that what some people are perceiving as exclusivity is just these chapters taking some security measures to avoid getting robbed.
That might be true to a certain degree. The guys I know who applied to attend their local Redbar still hasn't been accepted since they started the process over a year ago. That is some serious security. :mrgreen:

User avatar
dshap
Favorite shirt size: Schmedium.
Posts: 8463
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:28 am
Name: David
Location: NY

Re: Red Bar event Friday

Post by dshap » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:34 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:23 am
dshap wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:48 am
I don't know anything about how these new Red Bar chapters work, all I know about is the original NYC Red Bar. It's not "exclusive" and it doesn't matter how expensive your collection is. I'd just assume that what some people are perceiving as exclusivity is just these chapters taking some security measures to avoid getting robbed.
That might be true to a certain degree. The guys I know who applied to attend their local Redbar still hasn't been accepted since they started the process over a year ago. That is some serious security. :mrgreen:
The "Red Bar Chapter President" title (or whatever the title is) could definitely have gone to some of these guys' heads, and that's a shame. I'm just saying that that's not the intention of Red Bar as I understand it. :shrug:
-David

User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 13647
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ann Arbor, MI USA

Re: Red Bar event Friday

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:37 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:23 am
dshap wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:48 am
I don't know anything about how these new Red Bar chapters work, all I know about is the original NYC Red Bar. It's not "exclusive" and it doesn't matter how expensive your collection is. I'd just assume that what some people are perceiving as exclusivity is just these chapters taking some security measures to avoid getting robbed.
That might be true to a certain degree. The guys I know who applied to attend their local Redbar still hasn't been accepted since they started the process over a year ago. That is some serious security. :mrgreen:
Red Bar should take over the NSA's security. Edward Snowden would never get through.

User avatar
aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Posts: 6950
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:50 am
Name: Dr Jay
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Red Bar event Friday

Post by aikiman44 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:46 am

As David stated, the whole point of Red Bar is non-exclusivity. Well, you do have to appreciate watches of some kind.
It may be poor communications, or maybe the venues are filled up as too many people are attending. In that case a move to larger venues would be called for.
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

User avatar
tmw
Posts: 2472
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:10 pm
Name: The Enabler
Location: Philly

Re: Red Bar event Friday

Post by tmw » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:04 am

I only wish I had the time to go to more Red Bar events. I enjoyed the ones that I went to, even once it was just Adam and I sitting at a table - he even made sure he was available to meet the day I was in town.

There is no exclusivity to this. I cant even see any inkling of that in all communications and members. I have seen nothing but openness by all in the red bar team. The uniqueness is the ability of the team to relate to all watch crazy people.

Can we just move on - and cant we be proud of Adam, and all those involved of the great initiative that he moved forward! It takes a lot to move a mountain, and his time commitment has always been significant. He is one of us here from the earliest days of WUS, TZ and DWC. Frankly, I love his ability to communicate openly, enthusiastically, and even with some great humor.

If there is any jealousy in what he created, and I sense an undercurrent of that in this thread. Move on. Get over it. You have the opportunity to create your own.

As to other chapters, I get invites every once in a while for philly. Philly was never that active, and a little more spread out as my observation over the years.

I am a fan, enjoy reading every communication, and living vicariously through all of their events in reports - that I only wish I could attend.
“To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Sandman

User avatar
matt.wu
Wu
Posts: 26719
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:33 pm
Name: m@
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA

Re: Red Bar event Friday

Post by matt.wu » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:01 pm

I don't think anyone is jealous about what Adam created. Most are talking about what RedBar is in it's current form and whether or not it's something effective or that we even want to be a part of.

Side note: the only time I've ever butted heads with Adam is when he got called out for the way he derided those who differed in opinion on watches he was paid to pump. This derision generally came in the form of "well if you had seen them in person and had drinks and a tea party with the CEO of the brand, you'd realize differently". He apparently didn't like that, and he took his marbles and went home. That reaction, more so than the initial grievance of contempt itself, turned me off to the direction he was headed.

Personally, the pomp and flair around being interested in expensive watches has been the part of watches I like the least, and thus DWC and smaller GTGs will always be my comfort zone as opposed to TRF and RedBar events.
:htfu:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], gmbellew, jbsf3, kempoman, mfxr, rockmastermike and 60 guests