Shock damage

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Re: Shock damage

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:25 am

Some brands (Seiko GS, at least in the past among them) say not to play golf wearing their watches. I guess it's possible.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:44 am

A lot of kids asked their parents if they could become an astronaut or fireman and they told them “anything was possible” or like me, asked if Farrah Faucet would blow me? :tap:

What I learned from that was that while it may have been possible, it was much more “probable” that she’d file a restraining order after too many letters with explicit polaroids asking her to.

So there you go, the nuisance between possible and probable.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

TimelessLuxWatches
Name: Brett

Post by TimelessLuxWatches » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:22 pm

I'd love to see some real testing on this. There's absolutely no doubt that we can shock a watch into damage (just drop it onto concrete, for instance), the question is how hard it is. The thing is, people have been wearing mechanical watches into literal wars, firing guns, riding motorcycles, riding in jeeps with practically no suspension, sending artillery, for at least a solid 50 years before quartz started to get phased in. If mostly cheap, primitive mechanical watches are generally surviving that, I'm not sure that a golf swing is going to do much to them.