mechanical shinola

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
gwells
Name: Greg

mechanical shinola

Post by gwells » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:12 pm

http://wornandwound.com/introducing-lak ... cal-watch/

only $2250. i'm honestly surprised it wasn't over $3k, with their track record.

rhonda argomatic r150, so new unproven movement.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Re: mechanical shinola

Post by ericf4 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:14 pm

yeah, about 2k too much.
Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:20 pm

It’s not terrible looking, but...no.
- Todd

KidKeith
Name: KidKeith

Post by KidKeith » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:28 pm

I understand the Shinola hate. I really do. I'm originally from Michigan so I have one and in my school colors as well. I love it. They're pricy for what they are, but it's a cool story to me. I remember Shinola being used as a pejorative when I was a kid and now the name is a bit of a "success story." I think it's pretty cool.

Go blue!

r.palace

mechanical shinola

Post by r.palace » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:52 pm

Sweet kickstarter watch and that brushing on the bracelet is tops
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

dinexus
Name: Zach

Post by dinexus » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:56 pm

I also understand the hate, but if it were priced in Zodiac territory, I think it'd be a whole hell of a lot more compelling. I ain't mad about the design though – case has some nice curves to it, and I'm a sucker for that high-contrast, monochromatic look. Plus, Michigan native.

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:00 pm

caseback:

KidKeith

Post by KidKeith » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:04 pm

rockmastermike wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:00 pm
caseback:

That's sick.

dinexus
Name: Zach

Post by dinexus » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:09 pm

rockmastermike wrote:
caseback
Plenty of other sea monsters in the um, sea, so why does this one have to look so goddamned stupid?

To wit:

gwells

Post by gwells » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:23 pm

the watch looks ok. not great, but ok.
KidKeith wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:28 pm
I understand the Shinola hate. I really do. I'm originally from Michigan so I have one and in my school colors as well. I love it. They're pricy for what they are, but it's a cool story to me. I remember Shinola being used as a pejorative when I was a kid and now the name is a bit of a "success story." I think it's pretty cool.
i would love to have bought into the story. if it wasn't largely bullshit, i might have. it's a "success story" mostly in that the ownership is making money. and they've plowed some money back into detroit, which is a good thing. but their "american-made" story is a load of crap, for the most part. and i don't have much love lost for people who lie like that.

shaneotool
Name: Paul

Post by shaneotool » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:25 pm

I think it's a good looking watch.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:34 pm

KidKeith wrote:

Go blue!
I'm in Michigan right this second, and shinola doesn't do much for me. They have a great retail space at the corner of liberty and whatever in A^2 and I've never once walked in.

This particular watch is ok looking. The list of watches I'd rather buy is almost endless though - it includes TAG and forum darling Monta.

R@cerx
Name: David

Post by R@cerx » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:02 pm

Shinola, wasn’t that a brand of shoe polish?

jaw

Post by jaw » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:57 pm

I generally like it, domed crystal, president links, Bremont lug tips, etc. This is probably a Shinola I could finally own. But only after a deep discount at the Nordstrom Rack.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:08 pm

KidKeith wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:04 pm
rockmastermike wrote:
caseback:

That's sick.
Agreed :puke:

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:08 pm

I was recently at the Navy Exchange in Pearl Harbor ( the worlds largest) and they had a huge “made in USA” sign above the Shinola display. Are they made in conus?
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:39 pm

^^^
International parts- ASSEMBLED in USA....

Yes they choose to say made in USA... pretty sure there is or was a lawsuit over their claim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:40 pm

And by international I mean China, or Gy-na if you’re president Trump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

mellonb1
Name: Brian

Post by mellonb1 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:34 pm

Can't get past the name.

Nomadz
Name: Nick

Post by Nomadz » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:18 am

kinda cool looking but about 1900 bucks over its value. The caseback belongs on a $25, video game tie in piece.
" The sunshine bores the daylights outta me......"

KidKeith

Post by KidKeith » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:18 am

gwells wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:23 pm
KidKeith wrote:
i would love to have bought into the story. if it wasn't largely bullshit, i might have. it's a "success story" mostly in that the ownership is making money. and they've plowed some money back into detroit, which is a good thing. but their "american-made" story is a load of crap, for the most part. and i don't have much love lost for people who lie like that.
They're made from imported parts but I'm pretty sure they're put together in the US. If you believe that is not "made in America" then you would probably have a problem with a very large percentage of US manufacturing firms including the Big 3, GE, Whirlpool among others. They all use foreign components and raw materials.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:01 am

KidKeith wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:18 am
gwells wrote:
KidKeith wrote:
They're made from imported parts but I'm pretty sure they're put together in the US. If you believe that is not "made in America" then you would probably have a problem with a very large percentage of US manufacturing firms including the Big 3, GE, Whirlpool among others. They all use foreign components and raw materials.
A very large percentage of US manufacturing firms including the Big 3, GE, Whirlpool among others weren't cock slapped by the FTC for their BS claims:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertanaa ... 1537957950

"Made in America" has a precise meaning which you, and Shinola it seems, don't realize.

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:04 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
KidKeith wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:18 am
gwells wrote:
KidKeith wrote:
A very large percentage of US manufacturing firms including the Big 3, GE, Whirlpool among others weren't cock slapped by the FTC for their BS claims:

"Made in America" has a precise meaning which you, and Shinola it seems, don't realize.
Additionally.. Most the companies named are guilty of placing an American flag symbol on their products, but they state assembled I'm US with foreign and domestic parts. Shinola's claims are flat out intended to deceive.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

unsub073
Name: chris

Post by unsub073 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:58 am

It's not bad looking, there are just much better options at that price point.

gwells

Post by gwells » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:55 am

streetracer101 wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:04 am
JP Chestnut wrote: A very large percentage of US manufacturing firms including the Big 3, GE, Whirlpool among others weren't cock slapped by the FTC for their BS claims:

Additionally.. Most the companies named are guilty of placing an American flag symbol on their products, but they state assembled I'm US with foreign and domestic parts. Shinola's claims are flat out intended to deceive.
this. totally this (emphasis mine).

a company has to go pretty far before the FTC will actually slap them down. so the fact that they did shows how far shinola went beyond where they should have.