Post by Zidane » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:51 pm

Wow.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Re: The OMFG Story of the Day

Post by BBK357 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:24 pm

Damn that's incredible!

From the description it sounds like Kirill from LunarOyster could possibly be the buyer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:48 pm

I'm not sure what he "should" have sold it for, but $30k unreported cash and a Sub is a nice haul.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

Knome
Name: Ken

Post by Knome » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:44 pm

Holy nuts

Sniper13
Name: Justin

Post by Sniper13 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:56 pm

Damn! I don't have that luck. Thats awesome.

Chrono24 has a couple similar ages for around $72k. Not a bad investment.

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:12 pm

Great story and I have tried to make this happen.

Wife stopped going to estate sales when we had the baby, but now that I'm off weekends and the kid is old enough to have some fun of his own at one, it might be time again because they're always super exciting. Watches are always my focus but I've scored some cool Steins, and furniture along the way.

The old money neighborhoods are key. The "Mom/Gigi passed away and collected costume jewelry" are the exciting ones as she had a few nice women's watches and typically held onto some of grandpa's stuff as keepsakes. Unless it says "Rolex" or has its heft in gold, the kids sometimes aren't the wiser unless they've taken the time to catalog and search each piece. They may not have been fully aware of what Dad kept in the sock drawer and may just want to move on at that stressful point in their lives. My dream is an early Montgomery ward purchased Patek of any kind as it seems a possibility in the neighborhoods we hit, given that Monkey Wards was the place to be back in the day here.

On one of the rare occasions I was able to tag along, there was an early Atmos Clock and my heart nearly skipped a beat, but it was on hold for a dude who knew damn well what it was and was still looking throughout the house. He got it for $40. The other near OMFG moment was when my wife stumbled across what she thought was a legit Oysterquartz in NOS condition. She tried and tried to get ahold of me but I didn't get the message until too late. :banghead: By that time the son/daugther got keen to her loitering too long and on the phone, he pulled the watch when she walked away looking at other items, and said it was no longer for sale. She cried when I saw the pics of it she took and told her to simply buy anything even on likely chance it was fake.

My wife has scored a few ernest borel cocktail times I had serviced that are super cool, one cool NOS in box 60's hamilton ladies watch, and two faceted crystal Omega ladies watches in great condition. It's a fun way to get the misses involved into watches and hit a place you normally wouldn't along the way for lunch.

snootydog
Jagermaster
Name: Andy

Post by snootydog » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:38 pm

Anyone feeling sorry for the Farmer? :lol:
Great story Mike, everyone deserves a bit of luck once in a while :thumbsup:
Andy :uj:

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:05 pm

FAWK!!!!!!! Thats awesome!!! :headbang:
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:26 pm

Wow! That's great! Good for him! Nice when someone who needs it has something like this happen to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

3migo
Name: Russell

Post by 3migo » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:10 am

I always imagine that I'm going to stumble upon some rare watch at a flea market or garage sale, hoping to score it for next to nothing. I don't think I'm that lucky.

cali kid
Unabomber impersonator
Name: Trevor

Post by cali kid » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:53 pm

Holy Shit! :shock: I didn't even think they made the first GMT Master until 1959 but turns out there was one before the 1675 that we all know and love.. Ref. 6542 and was a turn o graph ref. 6202 and only made from 1954 to 1959, best part is the bakelite bezel didn't workout for Rolex so it was only used the first two years!!! Damn needle in a haystack and good to see a good guy like that find it and get a new Sub and a wad of cash instead of some rich dickhead picking it up for 5 bones, they can afford the 50,000+ bones if they want to own that needle! :cheers:
Image Image Image
Trevor

uncleluck
Name: James

Post by uncleluck » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:32 am

Looking forward to the pics. Strangely you'd think we'd all have seen them by now, I mean how did the delivery man manage to find a 'Rolex hunter'? Surely he'd have to post pics on eBay, social media etc to advertise. Things like this usually get a thread of their own on TRF.

D4n
Name: Dan

Post by D4n » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:45 am

Damn that's awesome!!! Heck the best I ever did was while I working at a gun shop doing repair work before I started my own gunsmithing business. I got a S&W 38/44 4" Transitional model for $100 lol!! The thing even had the TxDPS Troopers name and badge number under the stock pannels hahahahhaha. I still can't help, but think of stuff like this and laugh. Heck I was lucky I had enough to buy it at $100 right there. They didn't think it was worth much being a .38special that was back when Smith wheelguns were cheap. Now that dang revolver is worth $1,200. I am just happy the FedEx guy found it!! Us little guys that are always broke find a nut once in a great while.

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Post by Steve O. » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:38 am

Bought an all original (including rivet bracelet) 1956 Rolex Sub 6536/1 at an antique shop/flea market for $700. twelve years ago. Sold it soon after for $2,500. and an Oyster Precision. Thought that I'd made a killing. Easily worth $30K plus today. Sigh...
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

93 Turbo
Name: Jules

Post by 93 Turbo » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:14 pm

I live in a town called hope, but more often than not I'm reminded (smacked around the head) that I live in a town called reality…

GTFOH that is a great story. Really looking forward to the pics. J
Strength is = 2 or > than "tipping over a so- called smart car plastered in “Coexist” bumper stickers".

Pat McNamara.

93 Turbo
Name: Jules

Post by 93 Turbo » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:17 pm

Joeprez wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:12 am
What an incredible story, good for the FedEx guy!

(next time tell him to definitely wait for you).
And tell him you'll double his money for what he paid for the watch…
Strength is = 2 or > than "tipping over a so- called smart car plastered in “Coexist” bumper stickers".

Pat McNamara.

spring-diver
Name: Shannon

Post by spring-diver » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:24 pm

Truly awesome story! :thumbsup:

:cheers:
Shannon
Seiko: SBDB001, SBDX001, SRP777

Sinn: EZM9, T1, T1B, 836 & 857S

:cheers:

Heuerville
Name: Stewart

Post by Heuerville » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:58 pm

Maybe give the farmer $5k :shrug:
Stewart - Heuerville & Heuerville Straps
http://heuerville.wordpress.com/heuerville-straps/
"SOB get me a drink"

slashd0t
Name: Jamie

Post by slashd0t » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:06 am

Man, I love these stories..

koda240
Hot Legs!
Name: David

Post by koda240 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:24 pm

This is awesome. I always hoped I would find a Rolex on the beach. I used to walk to a break that was about 1/2 mile down and just stare down at the sand as I walked hoping some drunken asshole lost one. I say drunken asshole so I don't feel like lost and found is where I should start. Haha.