Another Reason Why I Love Seiko

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
namor
Name: Seth

Another Reason Why I Love Seiko

Post by namor » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:27 pm

Every once in a while I think I can work on my own watch. This is an impulse I should reject immediately, like a come-on from a Naples hooker. But I thought I could swap the handset on a SRP777 without too much effort...

I was, of course, mistaken in this belief. I so thoroughly screwed it up, I went through SNAFU, sped past TARFU, and landed dead center into FUBAR in record time.

But it is a Seiko - I boxed the pieces up, sent them to Mahwah, and today got my email repair estimate, to completely overhaul the movement and watch, including any replacement parts (which I guarantee there will be some) of a whopping $122 plus return shipping. I can't be certain, but I think the comment "out of warranty" may have been sarcastic.

What other watch company will take in one of their in-house,, hacking and handwinding, movements that has been screwed up by a customer and restore it to like-new for $122? Seiko customer for life!
www.usmcscoutsniper.org - Life Member
“Qualified to deport with denizens of the deep, mermaids, and other inhabitants of the realm of Neptune.”

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Re: Another Reason Why I Love Seiko

Post by 59yukon01 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:35 pm

SNAFU, TARFU, to FUBAR......LOL! No secret I'm a Seiko fan as well. To me they are the Honda/Toyota of watches.

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:48 pm

Yep. Which makes them so damn addictive and fun in this hobby.

Nice post, btw. Haven't read or seen those acronyms used in awhile...

With the exception of maybe a few rare birds, the same is true for my beloved 6139 which is over 40 years old. I remember going to Spencer Klein for a service inquiry and the dude was nice enough to give me tons of advice even though I made it clear his massive backlog wasn't feasible at the time.

Not only did he refer me to another maker who did an excellent job on servicing the watch ($150 out the door), but gave me good advice to cache certain parts for it as they're becoming exceedingly rare. At first I cringed on "rare" thinking hundreds of dollars but I have two complete and cherry 6139B movements (in partially modded or unworking pogues -- mind you some have complete cases, bezels, crowns, pushers, one OEM bracelet) for about $175 combined via fleabay. The bread and butter part is the center chrono wheel for this watch so I snagged one for $80 NOS in sealed packaging, but have two in the other movements still, although they are used technically.

$255 in safekeeping to guarantee longevity is small change for an iconic an all original watch I still enjoy wearing, and never plan on parting with for the space reference I love.

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:53 pm

What's Mahwah? Secaucus maybe? Was it Coserv?
only accurate watches are interesting

TSD
Name: Tom

Post by TSD » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:05 pm

marchone wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:53 pm
Seiko Service Center is in Mahwah. Just sent my GS there. They're replacing a scratched sapphire and performing a full movement service all under warranty, at no cost to me. I'm a believer. :salute:

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:09 pm

That's great info. I'm outta date. Thanks.
only accurate watches are interesting

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:21 pm

1) Seiko - Hellz Yeah!

2) Every time I hear "Mahwah" I can't help but to think of Johnny 99, so there's that.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:45 pm

TSD wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:05 pm
marchone wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:53 pm
Seiko Service Center is in Mahwah. Just sent my GS there. They're replacing a scratched sapphire and performing a full movement service all under warranty, at no cost to me. I'm a believer. :salute:
There's an old thread floating around somewhere of a vintage GS owner attempting to service to no avail that are great. Seiko sent (to the one or two customers I can remember) personal letters stating how they tried everything to keep the old watch running, even utilizing similar parts. I honestly doubt Rolex RSC has ever sent a letter (yet to my knowledge) to the customer stating they've tried everything in their arsenal to keep an old dog running. Makes me want a SBGA029 again...

As someone who married into a Japanese family with roots in Japanese business, the customer is next to Emperor.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:35 pm

I wish they worked on JDM models.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:08 am

Can't you just send those back to Japan?

hidden by leaves
Name: Anthony

Post by hidden by leaves » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:52 am

rockmastermike wrote: 2) Every time I hear "Mahwah" I can't help but to think of Johnny 99, so there's that.
Nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Send lawyers, guns and money...

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:36 am

hidden by leaves wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:52 am
rockmastermike wrote: 2) Every time I hear "Mahwah" I can't help but to think of Johnny 99, so there's that.
Nice.
:thumbsup:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:17 am

sierra11b wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:08 am
Can't you just send those back to Japan?
Yep, shipping is around $125. :banghead:

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:03 am

$125 for shipping to Japan? How? Is that thru fedex or UPS next day air or something?

Side note, I've wondered if Seiko Japan would still service these old watches. I have thought about sending my 6306 and 6105 to Japan but not if they would end up replacing any parts like the dial, hands, crown, or bezel. If anybody has had experience with Seiko Japan servicing a vintage watch, please post it up. I'm curious about whether they even do it, but if so, cost and turn around time.
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:11 am

BSears wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:03 am
$125 for shipping to Japan? How? Is that thru fedex or UPS next day air or something?

Side note, I've wondered if Seiko Japan would still service these old watches. I have thought about sending my 6306 and 6105 to Japan but not if they would end up replacing any parts like the dial, hands, crown, or bezel. If anybody has had experience with Seiko Japan servicing a vintage watch, please post it up. I'm curious about whether they even do it, but if so, cost and turn around time.
All I can tell you is what I have been told. Seth just did his old MM and he paid that much if I recall. I sent my through Joe Kirk and it cost me that much.

I wouldn't send any vintage watch to Seiko Japan unless you have a direct phone number for them to talk to them. The chances of stuff getting replaced that you might now want to get replaced would be super high. Not to mention you have so many great indy's in the US who work on vintage Seiko's I don't see the benefit of sending it to Japan.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:52 am

I believe I have that MM now that Seth had, along with the receipt for service. I will say it's running great, but don't remember a shipping amount listed. I'll check again, but the amount doesn't surprise me.

Edit.....receipt shows $150 handling charge which I assume is just shipping back to the states.

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:43 am

I seriously doubt Yserv (Japan's equivalent of Coserv) will touch any vintage pieces.

dinexus
Name: Zach

Post by dinexus » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:55 am

Seiko has never 'stuck' with me – bad QC, too big, too quirky, too polarizing... every Seiko I've ever owned has been too-something. The Shogun I just copped from the sales forum is my fifth (sixth maybe?), but it finally starts to feel like the zero-bullshit, high quality Seiko I've had in my head all along. We'll see.