Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
jln319
Name: -jeff

Re: Horological and existential funk

Post by jln319 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:09 pm

demer03 wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:27 am
Just can't get fired up about watches anymore....

Prices are stupid these days, especially in the vintage market. I just can't get my head around 4-6X the price I paid a couple years ago. New watches seem to be pushing the envelope and on top of that I'm just not inspired by much.

Anyone else feeling this way?
Yup, haven't been able to get "in the mood" for quite a while now. Don't even change watches much. Look in the box, fuck it, wear the Seiko again... I've been thinking about selling everything just to reduce the angst of choosing which one to wear... Micro's have never done it for me even though I've owned a few over the years. This used to be a cyclical thing for me too but this has been going on for quite a while now... Maybe I'm just getting too old... :shrug:
Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right. Henry Ford.

goaliechris
Name: Chris

Post by goaliechris » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:31 pm

Feeling the same way and it is a cycle I think. Every time I consider a new dive watch purchase, I compare it to my Sea Dweller and it's hard to justify. I have the new IWC Pilot Chrono Le Petit which has solved my want for a chrono. It's hard to beat. So maybe I'm just happy with what I have?

Though I still really want a Royal Oak, it will have to wait for a long time - 2 kids, mortgage, vacations, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:48 pm

I think at some point we all experience this on one or more occasions as part of the evolution of collecting and loving watches.

I talk about service overhead reeling me back in every once in awhile but I look across the street at my neighbor's kit shelby cobra grocery getter, his new corvette, and his neighbor's 5th-wheel man cave designed for his many bikes and have come to the realization we need hobbies and interests in life otherwise what's the point of life? Both of them have very little interest in watches.

Luckily, my other hobbies aren't too expensive, but I think we're allowed at least one expensive hobby so long as you're responsible, can afford it, and it doesn't get in the way of priorities. By priority, I don't mean the guilt associated with wanting to upgrade an existing "B-grade" black granite counter top with the finest gold-vein quartz riddled granite from the Andes money can buy, but rather the guilt associated with not being truly fiscally responsible.

That means recognizing how to approach any further purchases, if any, and getting them as low as possible with the understanding you'd have liquid on your wrist and can get most of that back in a pinch as the cost of enjoying something new and enjoying watches further. This is also when those who ever had the inclination to get that 'exit watch' do so but you've gotta do your homework which shouldn't be too hard late in the watch game as you've already dialed-in your tastes... I applaud that move and wish I could. For me, it's appreciating that five fine watch maximum I have and hanging low for a bit, with the off chance of getting back into a nice Seiko quartz or a bracelet for my other Mk.XVIII, or knowing two of those five can be consolidated into four if the watch servicing devil on my shoulder wins.

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:42 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:19 am
Torrid wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:46 am
sierra11b wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:57 am
Seiko hasn't changed much which may be why I'm looking at old Quartz golden tunas or my fourth mm300.

Weiss still has my attention. Not sure if it one would get much wrist time against my dornbluth, but a field watch in the $750 used neighborhood seems like a good deal still.
I've pretty much have given up. My Seiko movement problems have done it. I wasn't so much a watch guy as specifically a Seiko guy. I still have the Scurfa, but haven't worn it in a while. Probably going to stick to quartz no matter what brand I might get into if it comes back. I have a solar/atomic Frogman and an MT-G G-Shock and they're very nice and much better made than I expected, but it's still not quite the same feeling. Maybe the Frogman is. I can't believe how much I like that watch.

I expected to own the Weiss at some point but it still hasn't drawn me in that hard.
Did you send your MM300 to NJ or Japan for service, or did you have an independent look at it?
Independent. Was recommended to be sent to Japan for a mainspring replacement which would have been out of warranty. I was just done at that point sinking money into Seiko. I had a good run with 7S26s, the early 6R15s, and a 4R36 Monster. The last 3 6R15s, this 8L35, and the Tsunami I had was all over the place. The Tsunami was told to me directly from Jake that it was the first of the SII movements that were also the first run of 6R15Cs. Unfortunately all 6R15Cs I owned were of similar performance. Somewhat consistent and then would randomly lose time. Same as the 8L35.

93 Turbo
Name: Jules

Post by 93 Turbo » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:14 am

Hearing you Mike. I only (happily) wear my PAM or Exp II these days, or the Garmin when I'm out on the water. Priorities are changing, want to discharge the mortgage before anything else ATM. Could easily go a SD43mm, but that will have to wait. J
Strength is = 2 or > than "tipping over a so- called smart car plastered in “Coexist” bumper stickers".

Pat McNamara.

mfxr
Name: MattF

Post by mfxr » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:15 am

Comes and goes. Take a mental break and don't worry about it.

The last couple I have enjoyed the most have been cheap and spontaneous purchases with no pressure or overthinking.

hobbit712
Name: Steve

Post by hobbit712 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:57 am

I've been in the same boat for a while. I did spring for the latest special edition Samurai which wasnt a bank breaker. Prior to that it was a trade for a NFW watch I have wanted for a while. I still want a Pelagos at some point but i am in no hurry. Other interests and responsibilities intrude at times.My collection runs the spectrum from cheap beaters to a few nicer watches. The hobby for me does seem to run in cycles. It's just a lull right now.
https://watchidiotsavants3.godaddysites.com/
instagram @watchidiotsavants

Chase after the dream, don't chase after the money

hobbit712
Name: Steve

Post by hobbit712 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:02 am

I just posted above and then realized how this must be a trend on DWC. I see a couple watches on here for sale that would never have languished a few years ago. The prices are great but no one is pulling the trigger. :shrug:
https://watchidiotsavants3.godaddysites.com/
instagram @watchidiotsavants

Chase after the dream, don't chase after the money

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:51 am

Most of us like other hobbies likes cars, bikes, bicycles, guns, knives, alcohol (the "what are you drinking thread" is legendary), etc. It's normal to want to shift money to other hobbies. The cool thing is that we keep coming here (must be the b-day threads).

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

1954Selmer
Name: RC

Post by 1954Selmer » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:07 am

Last edited by 1954Selmer on Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:24 am

1954Selmer wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:07 am
I have always enjoyed watches, but they are currently on the bottom of my list. December 2016, my wife asked me to leave and indicated our marriage was over. February 2017, her father suddenly passed and the family did not want me to attend (he was an important part of my life). May 2017, my brother suddenly passed and I already miss him (two years older than Arce).
June 2017, I was evolved a major 6 car accident on Interstate 45.
For several years, I have lived a very selfish life and I'm trying to put it all back into perspective.
Compared to that, watches are nothing.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:45 am

1954Selmer wrote:
I have always enjoyed watches, but they are currently on the bottom of my list. December 2016, my wife asked me to leave and indicated our marriage was over. February 2017, her father suddenly passed and the family did not want me to attend (he was an important part of my life). May 2017, my brother suddenly passed and I already miss him (two years older than Arce).
For several years, I have lived a very selfish life and I'm trying to put it all back into perspective.
Jesus...

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:48 am

1954Selmer wrote:
And I thought mine was rough losing dad and step dad. I applaud your attitude. All the best man.
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

dshap
Favorite shirt size: Schmedium.
Name: David

Post by dshap » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:46 am

demer03 wrote:

Prices are stupid these days, especially in the vintage market. I just can't get my head around 4-6X the price I paid a couple years ago. New watches seem to be pushing the envelope and on top of that I'm just not inspired by much.

I hear ya Mike. Vintage prices are too high and when every purchase is a major investment it takes the fun out of it.

Luckily I'm very content with my collection and don't feel like I need to do any buying or selling now. I've been spending less time on watch stuff and more time on car stuff.
-David

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!

Post by 59yukon01 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:48 am

1954Selmer wrote:I have always enjoyed watches, but they are currently on the bottom of my list. December 2016, my wife asked me to leave and indicated our marriage was over. February 2017, her father suddenly passed and the family did not want me to attend (he was an important part of my life). May 2017, my brother suddenly passed and I already miss him (two years older than Arce).
Reading things like this can sure make one realize the petty complaints one may have in their own life fails to compare with what others are going thru. Hope life gets better for you soon.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:58 am

1954Selmer wrote:
Crap, I have no words.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:38 pm

1954Selmer wrote:
Sorry to hear that brother!

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

1954Selmer

Post by 1954Selmer » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:31 pm

Thanks guys. I am thankful for so much.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:41 pm

1954Selmer wrote:Thanks guys. I am thankful for so much.
That's the right attitude to have. Stay strong.
- Todd

mellonb1
Name: Brian

Post by mellonb1 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:46 pm

1954Selmer wrote:
Sorry to hear that you're going through a rough patch. Hang in there.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:51 pm

I know it's not really the way to do it, but resale is actually a very big consideration for me when looking at a watch. I have a limited amount of money I can use on the fun crap in my life and with what nice watches cost, I like knowing I could liquidate quickly and easily if I really needed to. That's probably why my only two nice watches are Rolex right now.
- Todd

zepp21
Name: Alex

Post by zepp21 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:55 pm

1954Selmer wrote:I have always enjoyed watches, but they are currently on the bottom of my list. December 2016, my wife asked me to leave and indicated our marriage was over. February 2017, her father suddenly passed and the family did not want me to attend (he was an important part of my life). May 2017, my brother suddenly passed and I already miss him (two years older than Arce).
Keep your head up. This puts a lot into perspective. You'll persevere and life will continue.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:01 pm

There still vintage deals out there you just got to try other ways. Some miss spell or don't put enough info to be found in the regular search so some times deal can be had on fleabay. Some times at NAWCC marts but those are less. I took two chances this year one watch came from Italy had Andrea check him out from a seller at the MWR PX for a rare Italian Navy deck watch some thing you don't see in the states got it for a fair price. Then the best deal a vintage Zenith Special from 1931 for 1200.00 they sell for double or more the seller had a web site all in Czech had to use google translator for the deal it turned out legit Zenith seemed crazy about it from there archive department getting a letter of the archive from them should get that in a week or two. Don't give up a vintage Doxa 300T deal is in your future Mike you just have not found it yet. I had another deal come my way Junghans Bundeswehr chronograph for a fair price but I just got to say no some times those come up for sell less every year but if he still has it after September I mite buy it there out there..

1954Selmer

Post by 1954Selmer » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:32 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:24 am
[Compared to that, watches are nothing.

R@cerx

Post by R@cerx » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:02 pm

demer03 wrote:

I like what I have, but wear my Sub most of the time. Sometimes I think about selling the others. Saw a few I liked yesterday at Watches and Wonders, but prices are out of control. Maybe just a Rolex and Apple Watch are in my future.