Horological and existential funk

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Horological and existential funk

Post by demer03 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:27 am

Just can't get fired up about watches anymore....

Prices are stupid these days, especially in the vintage market. I just can't get my head around 4-6X the price I paid a couple years ago. New watches seem to be pushing the envelope and on top of that I'm just not inspired by much.

Anyone else feeling this way?
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

CGSshorty
Admin

Re: Horological and existential funk

Post by CGSshorty » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:36 am

There is still plenty out there I would love to try. Unfortunately, finances dictate I keep my incomings fairly inexpensive these days.
I think about selling most of what I have and buying something really exciting, but I very much like the pieces I have.
First world problems, I guess.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:47 am

You can always go crazy with micros

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:53 am

Have you seen the new Monta?
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:57 am

Seiko hasn't changed much which may be why I'm looking at old Quartz golden tunas or my fourth mm300.

Weiss still has my attention. Not sure if it one would get much wrist time against my dornbluth, but a field watch in the $750 used neighborhood seems like a good deal still.
Last edited by sierra11b on Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:57 am

Every year fewer new watches that I want are released. Every year the old watches that I want get more expensive and harder to find. I'm finding enjoying my watches to be more... enjoyable, than obsessively hunting for the next must have.

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:05 am

demer03 wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:27 am

Prices are stupid these days, especially in the vintage market. I just can't get my head around 4-6X the price I paid a couple years ago. New watches seem to be pushing the envelope and on top of that I'm just not inspired by much.

Ya know, I kinda am. I think I have what I want these days. Oddly, after all this, I've drifted into quartz and I'm ok with that. Nothing new really has my attention any more, and except for my B1, I have no interest in vintage.
If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:13 am

My interest is waning as well, but I find it has always been cyclical. I just sold a few to fund another hobby and have been having dirty thoughts about selling all but one or two. For me, not a lot interests me and sales are getting increasing more difficult. It seems that if you're not a trusted seller, nobody will buy from you unless you give them a break neck price.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:30 am

There are a number of watches I'd love to try, but I constantly evaluate the cost of the watch against the cost of alternate purchases.

This time of year I have lots of opportunities to drop discretionary income without trying too hard. Costs such as buying a new grill, landscaping, etc. just add up. Not to mention all the extra distractions I spend money on this time of year - new surfboard? Sounds good! New putter? Absolutely! Watches kind of take a back seat.

Looking at my personal buying trends, I seem to have more purchases during the colder months, so it is probably a seasonal thing.

Regarding micros, I think the bloom in new companies has turned me off a bit. I'm more inclined to support the underdog brand who struggles to bring to market something unique than a brand who seems to spit out a new model every few months.

In the sub-$1,000 range, I'd much rather have that new Seiko 62MAS mass-produced model than nearly any current micro. Good move for Seiko to release that in November. The timing fits my fiscal model perfectly.

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:36 am

I just can't justify tieing up that much in what I really like. I know that's a head-game on my end. I'd love the have the new Seamaster 300 reissue or the Autavia, but all I see is "other things that could be done" i.e. Fidelity account, redo main floor bathroom, number 2s college, shit like that.

God bless those who get a thrill from micros, but it isn't my bag. Even the cheap vintage contract case watches are jumping up.

Meh.
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:58 am

demer03 wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:36 am
I just can't justify tieing up that much in what I really like. I know that's a head-game on my end. I'd love the have the new Seamaster 300 reissue or the Autavia, but all I see is "other things that could be done" i.e. Fidelity account, redo main floor bathroom, number 2s college, shit like that.
I get into this train of thought when I go over the five watch collection threshold. I start thinking about consolidating to two just because of the overhead associated with servicing mechanical watches. If I go to three I save $1000-1200 every five to six years if I go by the service interval rule.

I applaud those capable of going to just one watch. If I was capable or willing to walk into the sunset with my Speedy or similarly priced watch I'd save a ton in service overhead which could go toward more responsible spending.

Heuerville
Name: Stewart

Post by Heuerville » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:59 am

demer03 wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:27 am

I know where you're coming from.. Obviously I've experienced it as a Heuer fan. Sure, I benefited from the rising values, but it now means that any purchase is a huge deal, especially for a mint piece. However, it has made me focus on what I have, and I enjoy them more than ever - and those I wear regularly aren't museum pieces, but there to be worn.
Stewart - Heuerville & Heuerville Straps
http://heuerville.wordpress.com/heuerville-straps/
"SOB get me a drink"

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:04 am

Totally understandable, there's only so much "play money" to go around for everyone.
Just the other day I was thinking, a set of forged alloy wheels and Mich. PSS tires or new Zenith Cairelli CP-2. Same price, don't need either

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:10 am

Isn't this just a normal cycle? I know I went through it with guns and cameras. Till I found what I wanted and learned what I liked.
only accurate watches are interesting

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:49 am

Normal cycle for me, so now I am content with (2) budget divers (under $150) and some colorful G-shocks.

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:10 am

I get it, but when I get this way it's usually a forced downsizing rather than by choice due to anniversary gift, wedding, job, summer camp, etc....I still enjoy the hobby though.

Just picked up a fun/affordable vintage seiko to have at least one watch in the box....but it will go when I finally get my Sinn back from RGM :tap:

On the other hand there is our Sexually Desirable Rockstar Moderator, Steven, that seems to have enjoyed life after getting off the hamster wheel. :think:

Oh, and Mrs Rockmastermike just said "you need a nice interview watch" :excited: :love:
Last edited by rockmastermike on Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

johneh
Name: John

Post by johneh » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:10 am

I'm in that cycle now as well. I'm content with what I have and I'm looking to get out of the buying/selling game for good. I'll add something down the road, but it's not gonna happen anytime soon unless it's a cheaper Seiko diver.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:48 am

marchone wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:10 am
Isn't this just a normal cycle? I know I went through it with guns and cameras. Till I found what I wanted and learned what I liked.
As I'm not into the vintage watches rabbit hole, I guess I'm with Wayne on this one... at this point I just feel that I found what I really like in my PO and Speedy. All others can come and go (although I do like to keep around a good nato watch and a <$1,000 diver). Plus, I've been moving money from the watch fund to other hobbies that I can enjoy with the family (my wife is certainly happy about that :lol: ).

I do want to try a couple of watches (Pelagos, Doxa, a couple of Sinn, IWC Mark XVIII), but I'm in no rush to do it. Regarding the micros... I owned a couple but I'm not just into them (not to say there are really good ones out there, they just never stick for me).

I still want in the future a really nice 6 to 8 watches "collection" with all my favorites, but it will probably take a lot of years to get there, which I really don't mind at all.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:55 am

I wouldn't say I'm in a 'funk' per se but there aren't that many watches out there at the moment that I feel compelled to purchase. I've got the IWC Mark XVIII Tribute on order but that won't deliver until the fall, and there's nothing else that's really on my radar. I'm more likely to sell one or two pieces in the near future than look to add much of anything new. For the first time in a long while I think I'm fairly content with what I have.

stonehead887
Name: Jeremy

Post by stonehead887 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:24 am

I think the watch industry is trying too hard at the moment and seem to dredging the back catalogue for inspiration. For every day watches, let's say our current collections and poss 5k budget, it's all a bit flat at the moment. From an innovative point of view the likes of MB&F come up with stunning watch art and that's great to see from a creative perspective. I have found the kickstarter assault almost too much. We don't even get our first pre order delivered and the next must have hits the eye balls. We barely get time to sit back and let the watch do what it's supposed to do, sit on the wrist, look great, tell the time and be admired.
It's exhausting trying to keep up. This year I have decided to ease back, just 1 watch, my new Oris, and enjoy what I currently have. If I get the hots for a new watch I will sit back and wait as it will most likely cool off.
In a bid to get what we want, let's not forget what we have!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:30 am

Definitely not in a funk in the short several years I've been in this hobby. However, I have realized I'm a Seiko snob and am content sticking with that brand. Others, regardless of name/price/etc, I'm just not into. Beating on the same watch for 16 years prior to the hobby sold me on their performance/durability, so why change. Seems the very few other brands I've had I've ended up selling. I'm especially content after getting a MM300.

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:46 am

sierra11b wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:57 am
Seiko hasn't changed much which may be why I'm looking at old Quartz golden tunas or my fourth mm300.

Weiss still has my attention. Not sure if it one would get much wrist time against my dornbluth, but a field watch in the $750 used neighborhood seems like a good deal still.
I've pretty much have given up. My Seiko movement problems have done it. I wasn't so much a watch guy as specifically a Seiko guy. I still have the Scurfa, but haven't worn it in a while. Probably going to stick to quartz no matter what brand I might get into if it comes back. I have a solar/atomic Frogman and an MT-G G-Shock and they're very nice and much better made than I expected, but it's still not quite the same feeling. Maybe the Frogman is. I can't believe how much I like that watch.

I expected to own the Weiss at some point but it still hasn't drawn me in that hard.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:19 am

Torrid wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:46 am
sierra11b wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:57 am

I've pretty much have given up. My Seiko movement problems have done it. I wasn't so much a watch guy as specifically a Seiko guy. I still have the Scurfa, but haven't worn it in a while. Probably going to stick to quartz no matter what brand I might get into if it comes back. I have a solar/atomic Frogman and an MT-G G-Shock and they're very nice and much better made than I expected, but it's still not quite the same feeling. Maybe the Frogman is. I can't believe how much I like that watch.

I expected to own the Weiss at some point but it still hasn't drawn me in that hard.
Did you send your MM300 to NJ or Japan for service, or did you have an independent look at it?

bpax
Name: Bill

Post by bpax » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:26 am

It can be cyclical for me. There are quite a few brands out there I really want to try. The fact that I have two young kids means no more disposable income, and I really don't want to sell anything that I currently own. First world problems.

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:20 pm

Torrid wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:46 am
Probably going to stick to quartz no matter what brand I might get into if it comes back.
You might end up with a free quartz Seiko if you work long enough. :shrug:

At the risk of derailing the thread, how's the new career going?