Name: David

Re: Well that didn't take long...

Post by R@cerx » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:30 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:24 pm
R@cerx wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:23 pm
PT Barnum said it best.
I've never heard PT Barnum say "Hoe Dickey".
Sucker... :grin:

Heuerville
Name: Stewart

Post by Heuerville » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:36 pm

james80 wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:05 pm
Heuerville wrote:LOL!! It's Hungarian for watch or clock, IIRC.

I don't wish to sound bitter, but the people selling them for a big mark-up - is it me, or is that just completely lacking in class?
Say I bought one, and it arrived and I genuinely didn't like it, I would sell it at what I paid, if not less.. or is that just me?

Seems there Is no honour left these days.
Not sure I agree with you and don't really think it's an honour or class issue. Let's think of another example: You some how find your way onto the La Ferrari order list, You buy said La Ferrari at the factory price of $1.5M, You don't like it, another of the limited owners doesn't like his either, you all have the only two LaFerrari's available for public sale IN THE WORLD, you sell yours for $1.5M "if not less" and he sells his for $5.5M (which is what the only available La Ferrari at the time was listed for and probably sold for).
I guess you just described the definition of class.
Stewart - Heuerville & Heuerville Straps
http://heuerville.wordpress.com/heuerville-straps/
"SOB get me a drink"

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:46 pm

Heuerville wrote:
james80 wrote:

I don't wish to sound bitter, but the people selling them for a big mark-up - is it me, or is that just completely lacking in class?
Say I bought one, and it arrived and I genuinely didn't like it, I would sell it at what I paid, if not less.. or is that just me?

Not sure I agree with you and don't really think it's an honour or class issue. Let's think of another example: You some how find your way onto the La Ferrari order list, You buy said La Ferrari at the factory price of $1.5M, You don't like it, another of the limited owners doesn't like his either, you all have the only two LaFerrari's available for public sale IN THE WORLD, you sell yours for $1.5M "if not less" and he sells his for $5.5M (which is what the only available La Ferrari at the time was listed for and probably sold for).
That's capitalism. The market sets the price. If you're willing to sell for less, that's your perogative. It's no different than you selling a Heuer you purchased for $500 10 yrs ago for $3000 now.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Heuerville

Post by Heuerville » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:05 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:46 pm
Heuerville wrote:
james80 wrote:

That's capitalism. The market sets the price. If you're willing to sell for less, that's your perogative. It's no different than you selling a Heuer you purchased for $500 10 yrs ago for $3000 now.

It's multi-faceted..

If I bought a watch for $6000 on a Tuesday and advertised it the following day for $6000 saying I wasn't sure about it, so I'm selling, that is what it is.

If I bought a watch on Tuesday and advertised it the next day for $8000, that's knowingly trying to make money out of nothing, without knowing the 'post sale' market value.

If however, I bought a watch for $6000 on a Tuesday, and I didn't like it after a few days, then discovered that someone else had sold theirs for $8000, then I would advertise mine for $8000 - no problem. If I had discovered they had sold theirs for $30k, then I would advertise mine at that.

If I bought a bargain priced watch on here from a fellow DWCer and advertised it on here the next day for $1k more.. is that OK?
Well.. it's not wrong, it's just the market. Would I do it? - no. Class.

"It's no different than you selling a Heuer you purchased for $500 10 yrs ago for $3000 now."
I deeply disagree with this - it's nowhere near the same, not within a fucking light year the same - sorry, but that's insane.
"SOB get me a drink"

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:20 pm

Heuerville wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:05 pm
streetracer101 wrote:
Heuerville wrote:
james80 wrote:

It's multi-faceted..

If I bought a watch for $6000 on a Tuesday and advertised it the following day for $6000 saying I wasn't sure about it, so I'm selling, that is what it is.

If I bought a watch on Tuesday and advertised it the next day for $8000, that's knowingly trying to make money out of nothing, without knowing the 'post sale' market value.

If however, I bought a watch for $6000 on a Tuesday, and I didn't like it after a few days, then discovered that someone else had sold theirs for $8000, then I would advertise mine for $8000 - no problem. If I had discovered they had sold theirs for $30k, then I would advertise mine at that.

If I bought a bargain priced watch on here from a fellow DWCer and advertised it on here the next day for $1k more.. is that OK?

"It's no different than you selling a Heuer you purchased for $500 10 yrs ago for $3000 now."
I deeply disagree with this - it's nowhere near the same, not within a fucking light year the same - sorry, but that's insane.
Damn Stew. Too much coffee? Calm down and explain why. The only difference is time. The market determines the value of said item.
By your logic in the example above, it's only ok to sell for more than you paid if someone else already has. That to me is insane. Anyone can buy and sell speculatively. You can set whatever price on anything you want. If there's someone that will buy it, then so be it.

As for your example of the bargain priced DWC watch...this has been discussed ad nauseum here. Simply sell for whatever you're comfortable. If someone else profits off it, so be it.

Heuerville

Post by Heuerville » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:57 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:20 pm
Heuerville wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:05 pm
streetracer101 wrote:
Heuerville wrote:
james80 wrote:

It's multi-faceted..

Damn Stew. Too much coffee? Calm down and explain why. The only difference is time. The market determines the value of said item.
By your logic in the example above, it's only ok to sell for more than you paid if someone else already has. That to me is insane. Anyone can buy and sell speculatively. You can set whatever price on anything you want. If there's someone that will buy it, then so be it.

As for your example of the bargain priced DWC watch...this has been discussed ad nauseum here. Simply sell for whatever you're comfortable. If someone else profits off it, so be it.
OK.. I admit, I might be getting hot-headed.. and I agree, market value is market value. In any market it is the buyer that dictates the price. This IS the absolute truth - I totally agree with that - it can't be argued with.

"The only difference is time".
I see where you are coming from. In essence, over time - be that 1 day or ten years, something goes up in value - this is absolutely true, that is correct, that is market value. By that logic, you could say that someone flipping a watch for profit within 2 hours for 25% profit is the same as a 90 year old grandad selling his watch for more than he paid for it when he was 18 years old.

But.. Is it really the same?

My point (made with slightly too much beer in me is this), there is a morality to buying/selling. This is separate to market value, this isn't about money, or profit. If I had a watch I paid $5000 for, and was worth $5500, but someone on here really wanted it and only had $5000. Yet some absolute prick I was dealing with said they would pay $5200, I know who I would sell it to - and fuck market value.
"SOB get me a drink"

Dogmann
Name: Marc

Post by Dogmann » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:35 am

Hi Stewart,

Too much beer or not I think I can see what your problem is you are instilling values you have onto others and unfortunately in this me me me world we find ourselves living in Wall Street (The Film) Greed is good, Money rules Fef everyone else and morality is out of fashion and sadly virtually extinct at least in my jaded view of most of the world it is of course and thankfully there are exceptions to this but it is no longer the norm or majority. I do also find this to be sad but true IMHO. So now I'm going to watch MotoGp and the F1 race and escape this harsh reality for a while.

Marc
Omega Speedmaster Apollo 8 Dark Side of the Moon
Chopard LUC Sport 2000 Blue Dial
Cartier Pasha 18k White Gold factory set diamond minute square and cabochon.
UTS 1000M Pro Diver Anthracite dial #79/200
Scubapro 500 Silver Bezel
Sinn 180a Vintage Chrono

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:59 am

The price is what someone's willing to pay. Nothing more. Take the emotion out. Either they get it or they don't.
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:40 am

Dogmann wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:35 am
Hi Stewart,

Too much beer or not I think I can see what your problem is you are instilling values you have onto others and unfortunately in this me me me world we find ourselves living in Wall Street (The Film) Greed is good, Money rules Fef everyone else and morality is out of fashion and sadly virtually extinct at least in my jaded view of most of the world it is of course and thankfully there are exceptions to this but it is no longer the norm or majority. I do also find this to be sad but true IMHO. So now I'm going to watch MotoGp and the F1 race and escape this harsh reality for a while.

Marc

+1

Agree with Stewie
Last edited by Panerai7 on Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Heuerville

Post by Heuerville » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:40 am

I did break my golden rule.. don't post on forums when drinking :lol:
"SOB get me a drink"

james80
Name: James

Post by james80 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:23 am

Dogmann wrote:So now I'm going to watch MotoGp and the F1 race and escape this harsh reality for a while.

Marc
Did you watch it?

What a race! I thought would be a parade around Baku, thankfully not!

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:06 am

james80 wrote:
Dogmann wrote:So now I'm going to watch MotoGp and the F1 race and escape this harsh reality for a while.

Marc
Did you watch it?

It was a great race. The Vettel interview afterwards was classic.
- Todd

james80

Well that didn't take long...

Post by james80 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:34 am

Chocodove wrote:
james80 wrote:

Marc
Did you watch it?

I missed it, alternative facts??

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:35 am

james80 wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:34 am
Chocodove wrote:
james80 wrote:

Marc
Did you watch it?

I missed it
Let's just say he wasn't very pleased with his penalty.
- Todd

james80

Post by james80 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:21 pm

Chocodove wrote:
james80 wrote:
Chocodove wrote:
james80 wrote:

Marc
Did you watch it?

I missed it
From what I saw he should have been disqualified. You can't be banging cars this isn't nascar.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:07 pm

james80 wrote:
Chocodove wrote:
james80 wrote:
Chocodove wrote:
james80 wrote:

Marc
Did you watch it?

I missed it
From what I saw he should have been disqualified. You can't be banging cars this isn't nascar.
+1 that was a pitiful display. And playing dumb over the radio just made it worse.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:26 pm

Rubbin is racin.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:48 pm

CGSshorty wrote:Rubbin is racin.
This was under the safety car :)

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:01 pm

logan2z wrote:
Not only that, but he had just rear ended Hamilton to begin with. Most times I can't really stand him, bit Lewis was in the right here. If not for the malfunctioning neck restraint, he would have won easily.
- Todd

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:33 pm

Chocodove wrote:
logan2z wrote:
Not only that, but he had just rear ended Hamilton to begin with. Most times I can't really stand him, bit Lewis was in the right here. If not for the malfunctioning neck restraint, he would have won easily.
That was terrible luck. In all the years I've been watching F1 I've never seen that happen.

Dogmann
Name: Marc

Post by Dogmann » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:01 am

Hi all,

Yes I watched both the MotoGP race and then the F1 it was a good day for me watching my favourite sports.
I'm going to be upfront I really can't stand whiny Vettel and haven't since his dominant Red Bull days but he sunk to a new all time low IMHO with his actions in this race. Not only did Hamilton not brake test him as the stewards with all the data they now receive would of known pretty fast if he had but Vettel is still not admitting driving into him and thinks Hamilton should of got a penalty to ROFLMAO.
Vettel has always been a whiny arrogant driver IMO but this denial of reality has taken him to another level. The best news I have seen so far is that Vettel now has 9 points on his license another incident and another 3 points and he will get a 1 race ban. I know it's not nice but I really hope he gets one more infringement as can't wait to see how he handles a 1 race ban. Otherwise it was a fascinating race and think Ricardo did well to win as well as Botas who came from virtually last after the first few laps to finish 2nd. Also Lance Stroll after having a bit of rocky start has made huge improvements in the last 2 races and although just pipped at the line by Bottas to 3rd had a well deserved and what must be a confidence boosting first podium. I hope the rest of the season continues to go well for him and that IMO one of the most exciting drivers Max Verstappen has now had all his bad luck and can get back to racing without issue.

Marc
Omega Speedmaster Apollo 8 Dark Side of the Moon
Chopard LUC Sport 2000 Blue Dial
Cartier Pasha 18k White Gold factory set diamond minute square and cabochon.
UTS 1000M Pro Diver Anthracite dial #79/200
Scubapro 500 Silver Bezel
Sinn 180a Vintage Chrono

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:56 pm

Heuerville

Post by Heuerville » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:03 pm

logan2z wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:56 pm
And another one...

https://omegaforums.net/threads/fs-bnib ... per.59814/
At least the Omega guys are calling this guy out :salute:
"SOB get me a drink"

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:21 pm

Heuerville wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:03 pm
logan2z wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:56 pm
And another one...

https://omegaforums.net/threads/fs-bnib ... per.59814/
At least the Omega guys are calling this guy out :salute:
I haven't really spent time there, but from the tiny bit I've seen it seems like a good forum.

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:24 pm

Odd choice of forum for a FNG to try and flip that watch.
- Todd