The end of Eterna?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
CGSshorty
Admin

The end of Eterna?

Post by CGSshorty » Sun May 21, 2017 6:39 am

I've heard some rumors that the Chinese holding company that owns Eterna and Corum has decided to pull the plug. Does anyone have more information?
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

Mr_Pacman
Name: James

Re: The end of Eterna?

Post by Mr_Pacman » Sun May 21, 2017 6:45 am

Haven't heard any news but it wouldn't be surprising. I'm not overly familiar with how Corum is doing, but the current model Eterna's all seem to get blown out on the discount websites like Ashford, Jomashop etc.

My friend recently bought an Eterna with the new in house movement from ashford. MSRP was 9k, he paid $799. For the money, it's a great watch. Once you dilute the value of the brand like they have done, there is nowhere to go but down.

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Sun May 21, 2017 7:04 am

Let the reduced sales begin.

Although I'd stay away from anything in-house currently for potential lack of parts. Although highly unlikely, it would be cool to see some NOS Porsche stuff trickle out. Speaking of, Porsche inspired design, anyone try one of those Monterey quartz divers on Ashford? They look pretty nice for the price.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sun May 21, 2017 7:36 am

Isn't that new brand Monta using Eterna movements? This can't be good news for them.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Sun May 21, 2017 7:57 am

CGSshorty wrote:I've heard some rumors that the Chinese holding company that owns Eterna and Corum has decided to pull the plug. Does anyone have more information?
From my understanding and talks with Eterna SA and the US reps, sales have been very good, so I don't think any truth to that rumor, unless the company just wants to unload them into a different direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Sun May 21, 2017 8:11 am

If it is true, while unfortunate I hope the one benefit would be deep discounts. I still wouldn't mind a round this this one, weird bezel and all.

(image from Fratello watches)
- Todd

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sun May 21, 2017 8:18 am

Would anyone miss either brand? I doubt it.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Sun May 21, 2017 8:21 am

gr8sw
Name: Pedro

Post by gr8sw » Sun May 21, 2017 8:58 am

Eterna has always put out a nice product, it's their sales & marketing people who screwed everything up... but they were one of the best in their day :doh:
‘I don’t worry about a thing, 'cause I know nothing’s gonna be alright’ Mose Allison

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Mon May 22, 2017 5:26 am

The fact they can't find a CEO to take a full time position is certainly a clue what here is something amiss.

I really like my KonTiki date, and I feel a bit more secure in knowing it is using the common Selita movement. The bespoke movement looks really interesting, but until that company stabilizes I'd be hesitant.

Even if the company fails, my guess is the value of these watches will likely drop for quite some time before ever becoming "collector" pieces.

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Mon May 22, 2017 3:22 pm

I'd love to snag one at a fantastic price.

Kinda nerdy, but Eterna was my very first watch at 13 so they have a special place in my heart even though I've never revisited them.

I actually put together all my lawn mower and paper route money for a what I'd now consider a cheesy gold plated Eterna quartz on BOR. Sold it on the bay about ten years ago to a woman looking for her dad's old watch, and she actually reached out to me sobbing over the phone expressing her gratitude, so it made it worthwhile.

In hindsight the money could have been better spent for family expenses because I was living with my single mom, but I was a good kid (nerdy), and she wanted me to earn it, so I did and haven't looked back. Thanks, Mom! :lol: I think... :scratch:

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Mon May 22, 2017 3:40 pm

Ryeguy wrote:The fact they can't find a CEO to take a full time position is certainly a clue what here is something amiss.

I'll be their CEO.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Mon May 22, 2017 4:09 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 3:40 pm

I'll be their CEO.
They might make you move to China one day.
- Todd

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Mon May 22, 2017 4:11 pm

Chocodove wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 3:40 pm

I'll be their CEO.
They might make you move to China one day.
I could handle that. I'd like to go there one day.