The Story of Tempus Machina Watches

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Re: The Story of Tempus Machina Watches

Post by BacoNoir » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:43 pm

What's up with the "300 - 1000 FT" depth rating?
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:45 pm

BacoNoir wrote:What's up with the "300 - 1000 FT" depth rating?
It might make it to 300 or it might make it to 1000. :mrgreen:

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:52 pm

^^^ LOL Much more likely than them dropping the "M".
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:13 pm

BacoNoir wrote:What's up with the "300 - 1000 FT" depth rating?
I think it means it's good to 700 ft in the air.

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:15 pm

I didn't catch that. No attention to detail overlooked.
only accurate watches are interesting

craniotes
Thread Pooper
Name: Ad Rock

Post by craniotes » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:16 pm

Dang, buncha keyboard ninjas up in this joint...

Like Steve said, the guy behind the company is as stand up as they come, and trust me, when you have one of his watches on your wrist, the instinct to talk smack pretty much evaporates. Would I pay what he's asking? Nope. But I know plenty of guys who have, and they aren't complaining one bit.

Regards,
Adam
CAPT. THREAD POOPER

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:00 am

This is a dumb, probably naive, question, but I'll ask it anyway.

If these guys are taking stock Rolex 114060 dials, stripping them down to bare metal, then repainting them in a new style with the Rolex logo, isn't this unauthorized logo reproduction a violation of Rolex's trademark?

My understanding from my business experience is, like patents, failure to protect / defend trademarks can lessen your ability to seek legal recourse in the future.

I guess one could argue that this is no different than some custom auto guy heavily modifying a car and then putting the "Ford" logo back on, but usually those are "one-off" type situations. Tempus Machina seems to be making a business of it.

I understand chasing down underground replica manufacturers in China is hard, but Rolex could have a conversation with these guys pretty easily. Their phone number is right on their web page.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:02 am

Ryeguy wrote:This is a dumb, probably naive, question, but I'll ask it anyway.

If these guys are taking stock Rolex 114060 dials, stripping them down to bare metal, then repainting them in a new style with the Rolex logo, isn't this unauthorized logo reproduction a violation of Rolex's trademark?

My understanding from my business experience is, like patents, failure to protect / defend trademarks can lessen your ability to seek legal recourse in the future.

I guess one could argue that this is no different than some custom auto guy heavily modifying a car and then putting the "Ford" logo back on, but usually those are "one-off" type situations. Tempus Machina seems to be making a business of it.

I understand chasing down underground replica manufacturers in China is hard, but Rolex could have a conversation with these guys pretty easily. Their phone number is right on their web page.
If there's one brand that protects their designs it's Rolex. The entire USA import ban was predicated on some BS (and ultimately extra-legal) design infringement argument.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:11 am

craniotes wrote:Dang, buncha keyboard ninjas up in this joint...

Adam
Its called an discussion.

Unlike Facebook. :mrgreen:

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:20 am

JP Chestnut wrote:

If there's one brand that protects their designs it's Rolex. The entire USA import ban was predicated on some BS (and ultimately extra-legal) design infringement argument.
Perhaps Rolex looks the other way or unofficially approves in certain situations like this, where the third parties work doesn't do anything to discredit or take away from the Rolex brand, and in fact adds to the lore or Rolex. Also, Rolex still got the original sale, so business is not being taken away. Possibly a bit like a Saleen Mustang or Lingenfelter Corvette.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:22 am

dnslater wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:

Perhaps Rolex looks the other way or unofficially approves in certain situations like this, where the third parties work doesn't do anything to discredit or take away from the Rolex brand, and in fact adds to the lore or Rolex. Also, Rolex still got the original sale, so business is not being taken away.
It's true. It could be a Rolex SA versus RUSA difference too. The import ban was implemented by RUSA who seem to be much shittier than the parent company - probably because the USA is such a vital market for them.

mikeylacroix
Name: Mike

Post by mikeylacroix » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:35 am

Still gotta buy a rolex first no?

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:43 am

Guys like Bamford and Project X have been doing this for a long time without much (effective) pushback from Rolex. So I doubt they'll get too much pushback.

Like with any cheap homage, I don't care of this either. I'm sure it's well-executed (aside from the "300-1000" oversight that they are probably trying to spin as purposeful), but it's lazy (and theft?) in concept and design.

I'm sure the guy is standup and a nice fella. If he was my friend, I'd encourage him to take his skills in execution and actually create something that is his own.
:htfu:

craniotes
Thread Pooper

Post by craniotes » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:00 pm

We'll have to agree to disagree here, as there's absolutely nothing lazy about his approach or execution. Whether it's the re-machining of the cases, the custom sapphire super dome crystals, the custom coin-edge bezel of the 219, or the true gilt dials, he's putting a lot of effort into this. Same applies to what's coming down the pike...

Fine, so you don't like homages, that's cool, but at least give credit where credit's due. After all this isn't a case of merely PVD'ing a case and painting a dial a shade of neon pink. Should he do something "original?" Sure, but why? This is a passion project for him and what gets his blood pumping. The dude loves vintage, and they ain't making vintage anymore. To him, it's like trying to imagine if Rolex kept making 'em they way they used to. To read more into it is to miss the forest for trees.

Like I said, buncha keyboard ninja's up in this joint... ;)

Regards,
Adam
CAPT. THREAD POOPER

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:09 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
marchone wrote:They said their customers do not have their watches serviced by Rolex. I suppose they just throw them away.

:rolleyes:
ABC will probably service them for a price.
I'm sure they will.

That said, I'm sure the TM stuff is great quality but I'd go a different route; take whatever Sub you desire (buy it used) and send to LAWW. Have them profile the case, drill the lugs, chamfer, and refinish in either stock or fully brushed finish. Have them matte finish the bezel too. You're talking $1500 +/- and it'll look stellar. In fact, buying a used 114060 one could easily produce a customized watch for less than the price of a new 114060.

I'd love to see a replacement aluminum bezel insert become available for fitting if/when the ceramic bites the dust.

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:56 pm

craniotes wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:00 pm
We'll have to agree to disagree here, as there's absolutely nothing lazy about his approach or execution. Whether it's the re-machining of the cases, the custom sapphire super dome crystals, the custom coin-edge bezel of the 219, or the true gilt dials, he's putting a lot of effort into this. Same applies to what's coming down the pike...

Fine, so you don't like homages, that's cool, but at least give credit where credit's due. After all this isn't a case of merely PVD'ing a case and painting a dial a shade of neon pink. Should he do something "original?" Sure, but why? This is a passion project for him and what gets his blood pumping. The dude loves vintage, and they ain't making vintage anymore. To him, it's like trying to imagine if Rolex kept making 'em they way they used to. To read more into it is to miss the forest for trees.

Regards,
Adam
We will agree to disagree, fellow keyboard ninja (apparently your default descriptor for anyone who disagrees with you, so I'll use it as such as well).

If it was a passion project, he wouldn't be creating multiple and selling them for stupid money. He'd make one for himself and have his passion fulfilled.

I did give credit where credit was due. It was, as stated, well-executed. But that's all he gets credit for. If he was a member of DWC, I'd tell him the same. But I guess as a member of RedBar, he's granted special exceptions, and he can do no wrong.

Too far? Well, you asked for it. But why would you care? Apparently this forum, and all forums, are far too low brow to take seriously these days, amirite? I like you, Adam, and consider you a watch bud, but I'm getting tired of the high-and-mighty shtick.

:cheers:

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:18 pm

matt.wu wrote:
craniotes wrote:

Regards,
Adam
We will agree to disagree, fellow keyboard ninja (apparently your default descriptor for anyone who disagrees with you, so I'll use it as such as well).

If it was a passion project, he wouldn't be creating multiple and selling them for stupid money. He'd make one for himself and have his passion fulfilled.

I did give credit where credit was due. It was, as stated, well-executed. But that's all he gets credit for. If he was a member of DWC, I'd tell him the same. But I guess as a member of RedBar, he's granted special exceptions, and he can do no wrong.

Too far? Well, you asked for it. But why would you care? Apparently this forum, and all forums, are far too low brow to take seriously these days, amirite? I like you, Adam, and consider you a watch bud, but I'm getting tired of the high-and-mighty shtick.

well said on all points

Regards,
Another keyboard ninja
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:28 pm

A good example of a talented guy with a passion project is "BarrelHand Timepieces" on IG, who some of you may follow. He's from my neck of the woods and was the college roommate of a friend of mine, and I've been following him for awhile now. He got relatively well-known for creating an excellent homage of an Urwerk UR-202 as a college student.

What did he do with his skill and talent? Not start a company modifying and profiting on Urwerk designs. Instead, he identified what he liked about Urwerk watches, applied his passion, talent, and creativity, and is in the process of creating his own original watch design.

I'm sure he could have created a profitable business by creating custom or derivative Urwerk watches, and the arduous process of starting your own brand and business is likely going to be fraught with more risk and investment than he'd like, but I 100% respect and admire the way he is going about this.

You can follow him on IG @barrelhand. And here's a ABTW article about this dude: http://www.ablogtowatch.com/one-guy-mad ... ch-homage/

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:12 pm

r.palace wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:18 pm
matt.wu wrote:
craniotes wrote:

Regards,
Adam

well said on all points

Regards,
Another keyboard ninja
You guys don't understand the who you are talking too, do you?????? :shrug: :stir:

craniotes
Thread Pooper

Post by craniotes » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:45 pm

Wow. Not sure what I ever did to you, Matt, but it sounds to me like you're the one who's gotten all high and mighty here. Can't handle being called a "keyboard ninja" because you're running your mouth on a watch you've never handled in person? Fine. Never pegged you has having a thin skin, but I learn something every day.

Anyway, I've never slagged on this forum -- ever -- but clearly something I've been doing has you threatened, so if you want me to take my marbles and go home, I'm only too happy to do so.

As for you, Terry... Expect an order from me shortly.

Regards,
Adam
CAPT. THREAD POOPER

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:14 am

craniotes wrote:Wow. Not sure what I ever did to you, Matt, but it sounds to me like you're the one who's gotten all high and mighty here. Can't handle being called a "keyboard ninja" because you're running your mouth on a watch you've never handled in person? Fine. Never pegged you has having a thin skin, but I learn something every day.

Anyway, I've never slagged on this forum -- ever -- but clearly something I've been doing has you threatened, so if you want me to take my marbles and go home, I'm only too happy to do so.

Regards,
Adam

:rolleyes:

I replied, then decided it wasn't worth the effort.

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:29 am

craniotes wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:45 pm
Wow. Not sure what I ever did to you, Matt, but it sounds to me like you're the one who's gotten all high and mighty here. Can't handle being called a "keyboard ninja" because you're running your mouth on a watch you've never handled in person? Fine. Never pegged you has having a thin skin, but I learn something every day.

Regards,
Adam
:doh:

Seriously?

:raised:

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:37 am

As I said, I still consider you a watch bud, AC, but as your reply demonstrates, I think you've lost touch a bit. Maybe you truly don't realize how you come across. Nobody here is threatened by anything you're doing. Believe me, it's quite the opposite.

You're always welcome here. If you decide to take your marbles and go home, it'll be completely your own choice.

Rackness
Name: Jason

Post by Rackness » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:51 am