General watch talk.
four20
Name: erik

Re: Ginault Ocean Rover Thoughts and Comparisons

Post by four20 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:43 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
justsellbrgs wrote:
four20 wrote:ok.. here's the :bananastoner: guy's take

w/o all the back-story, this is one helluva nice watch for the coin. after getting the full PowerPoint presentation from Det. Piela, i come away with the feeling that this guy had a revelation. with China now cracking down on counterfeiting across all industries that either he attempt to go legit or cease doing something that brought him joy. call me a glass-half-full kinda guy (also, i hate people but choose to give them the benefit of the doubt)

i'm not gonna tell you to buy the watch, but if you're inclined to this style and can grab one for what Chris spent, i say go for it. the quality is certainly above a Steinhart in the same $$ range

also, someone buy my LLD. i want a fat bike :grin:
how's this erok? you like Surly?

Damn I love that bike!

four20
Name: erik

Post by four20 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:00 pm

I don't know wtf is going on but i could never get the above to post anything i typed.

The Ginault looks and wears much smaller than the MM300. Any similarities in spec doesn't translate to the finished product.

John, that is a sweet ride. I tested a Fat CAAD3 yesterday and it was a blast in mixed mud, snow and granite (4.6" tires @8psi). I'm a few weeks out whether or not i sell the LLD

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:13 pm

I have a MM300. I'm morbidly fascinated by the Ginault. I have a Surly Karate Monkey I hardly ever ride.

That's all I got.
only accurate watches are interesting

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:17 pm

Here are some more of my crappy photos. Despite the similar thickness measurement, the MM300 is visibly the larger watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marchone
Capt. Obvious

Post by marchone » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:20 pm

Startling. But the numbers don't jibe.

:scratch: :shrug:

5661nicholas
Name: nick

Post by 5661nicholas » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:27 pm

marchone wrote:I saw that. Interesting side by side. Further on in the thread is a photoshopped pic of it without three superfluous lines of text. It looks far better.
Saw that, and could not agree more.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:54 pm

marchone wrote:Startling. But the numbers don't jibe.

:scratch: :shrug:
I know - weird. I used watch pillows from the same box and had the watches on the same flat surface to eliminate those variables.

I just think the Ginault measures big, while the MM300 is big. The Ginault has a slight "bubble back" case back and the domed sapphire. The max height is deceptive - it wears more like a 12mm thick watch. Dress shirt cuffs are no problem.

The Hamilton Khaki Field Chrono I just changed out to is actually thicker than both (7750 movement) yet still wears smaller than the MM300. I love the Seiko, but I think the only way I get away with the size is the MM300 dial opening is small which makes it seem smaller than it is. Just a trick of the design.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:26 pm

The MM300 is a beast of a watch- wears larger than the numbers suggest.

Hope you enjoy the watch. I see your intentions and I'm glad you're happy with it.

DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

5661nicholas

Post by 5661nicholas » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:37 pm

BBK357 wrote:The MM300 is a beast of a watch- wears larger than the numbers suggest.

Hope you enjoy the watch. I see your intentions and I'm glad you're happy with it.

It is a monster. I love admiring the MM300 in photos, and looks stellar on the wrist, just could not get comfortable with the weight and height.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:00 pm

I'm not reading all this, but if I'm getting the basics;

- made by a guy who made and sold reps?

- uses cheap MIC movement?

If so, why would anyone here want one?

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:36 am

5661nicholas wrote:
BBK357 wrote:The MM300 is a beast of a watch- wears larger than the numbers suggest.

It is a monster. I love admiring the MM300 in photos, and looks stellar on the wrist, just could not get comfortable with the weight and height.

At the risk of bumping this thread yet again, I want to just make a couple points in my defense:
1) The additional comparison photos were to answer Wayne's request.
2) I bought the watch as a cheap, fun, beater. Plus, I liked the Made / Assembled in the USA angle.
3) Allegations have been brought up after I made the purchase. I think I've done as much research as I can on this point and posted some of it here.
4) Until there is more information available regarding Ginault's claims or the allegations, I am not recommending or endorsing the watch. I am only making observations.

I hope the assembled in the USA claims are proven true. I hope Ginualt just started with a mil-sub homage because the design is a proven winner and they needed the revenue before releasing more unique designs. The movement has been performing well and I can't complain about the fit and finish of the product, especially for the price paid. They have potential. I'd just want the allegations cleared up before making a recommendation.

5661nicholas

Post by 5661nicholas » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:03 am

Ryeguy wrote:
5661nicholas wrote:

At the risk of bumping this thread yet again, I want to just make a couple points in my defense:
1) The additional comparison photos were to answer Wayne's request.
2) I bought the watch as a cheap, fun, beater. Plus, I liked the Made / Assembled in the USA angle.
3) Allegations have been brought up after I made the purchase. I think I've done as much research as I can on this point and posted some of it here.
4) Until there is more information available regarding Ginault's claims or the allegations, I am not recommending or endorsing the watch. I am only making observations.

I hope the assembled in the USA claims are proven true. I hope Ginualt just started with a mil-sub homage because the design is a proven winner and they needed the revenue before releasing more unique designs. The movement has been performing well and I can't complain about the fit and finish of the product, especially for the price paid. They have potential. I'd just want the allegations cleared up before making a recommendation.
I think regardless of anyone's opinions, it sounds like you picked up a quality homage that's well finished, and has a movement that is proving to be very reliable. I thank you for posting your thoughts.

Tallguy
Name: Steve-0-reeno

Post by Tallguy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:08 am

Do we really have to "defend ourselves" for purchases these days? For Christ-sakes it a friggin' watch....

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:19 am

Tallguy wrote:Do we really have to "defend ourselves" for purchases these days? For Christ-sakes it a friggin' watch....

Didn't you have to defend purchasing the Old Person Lincoln???? :roll: :roll: :roll: :mrgreen:

5661nicholas

Post by 5661nicholas » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:28 am

Tallguy wrote:Do we really have to "defend ourselves" for purchases these days? For Christ-sakes it a friggin' watch....

This echoes my thoughts as well.

Tallguy
Name: Steve-0-reeno

Ginault Ocean Rover Thoughts and Comparisons

Post by Tallguy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:33 am

toxicavenger wrote:

Didn't you have to defend purchasing the Old Person Lincoln???? :roll: :roll: :roll: :mrgreen:
Best purchase of my life...and I see you are green with envy.... :lol: :lol: :excited: :fro:

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:36 am

Knock offs have always been a soft spot around here,,, well everywhere really. i personally don't care as long as its not fake-branded.
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

marchone
Capt. Obvious

Post by marchone » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:56 am

I'm not going to change anyone's mind but this is what I see.

The anti argument here seems to be the Ginault case was originally manufactured as a replica watch. That's the charge. Now it's been repurposed in a homage that's a composite of the Rolex 5512 (dial and hands) and 16610 (case). No IP issues are there where patents are expired. The movement is claimed to be a reworked Sellita 200, which uses the lapsed patents of the ETA 2892-A, and were illegally manufactured by numerous outfits in China, some for Ginault's replica business. Ginault claims to produce the current movement in the US. Veracity aside, no manufacturer I know of supplies performance numbers like those for made in China ETA clones.

On a slightly different note, Volkswagen was Hitler's People's Car. 78 years later VW (and Porsche) has many new models. Some are made in the US. I don't see people here boycotting VW AG for anti-US war time activities. More apropos perhaps to this are IWC, Wempe, Lange, Laco and Stowa, still in business, and several are still using their original Luftwaffe designs or descendants of them. Many more companies use those designs today. Where are the equivalent objections?

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:30 am

I wasn't asking for that, but given our collective disdain for "reps" it seemed odd there would be so much buzz over this watch. It now appears much of the history/information was learned post delivery, so there's that.

IMO it's not a bad looking watch at all, save for the silly dial text. I'm not looking to buy one, but time will tell if it's viable.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:32 am

marchone
Capt. Obvious

Post by marchone » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:37 am

Alternative facts? You can't have it both ways.

Bradystraps
Name: Todd

Post by Bradystraps » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:03 am

Has the company posted pictures of their manufacturing/assembly in the US where they handcraft these watches?
Just curious.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:07 am

Wait until someone switches the dial out for an og version. Hell is gonna break loss. TRP will self-implode.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:08 am

Tallguy wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:

Best purchase of my life...and I see you are green with envy.... :lol: :lol: :excited: :fro:

Just picking with you Steve. It was a great pick up. :salute:

marchone
Capt. Obvious

Post by marchone » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:09 am

toxicavenger wrote:Wait until someone switches the dial out for an og version. Hell is gonna break loss. TRP will self-implode.
That'll do it.