Differences..homages, brands etc, let's discuss.

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
ItnStln

Re: Differences..homages, brands etc, let's discuss.

Post by ItnStln » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:18 am

Ryeguy wrote:What I find interesting is, if I change the topic from watches to handguns, I find it much more of a slippery slope. Everybody makes a 1911 copy with various enhancements and no one cries for Colt. How many striker fired semi autos are there now? Should we be considering them all a homage to Glock as they were the ones to popularize the design? Heck, I own a Sig 232. I've not given a ton of consideration about Walther as the 232 is really just Sig's version of the PPK.

As far as I know, all of the original owners of the designs / IP are still making the original designs and trying to grow their businesses through sales revenue, so as a Sig 232 owner I guess I'm guilty of violating my own rules.
Excellent point!

ItnStln

Differences..homages, brands etc, let's discuss.

Post by ItnStln » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:57 am

marchone wrote:
matt.wu wrote:
marchone wrote:
One often neglected and compelling reason aside price point for buying a Super Sub is some people do not want the recognition of a Rolex on their wrist.
I think you got it backwards. After all, people are getting precisely the recognition of a Rolex with a homage of a sub.
Interesting you should think that. On more than one occasion I'd been asked, "Is that a Rolex?", when wearing an SKX or Shogun. When I responded no, interest faded. More to the point a lot of business/sales types I've known don't want the signal a Rolex makes so opt for other watches. Not copies but other Sub-types.
I have a family member who has a Rolex GMT Master II and he's constantly asked "is that real or fake?" I've only had someone say something to me four times, and three of them were when I had my Breitling B-1 on. The first time it was a customer of mine, and he showed me his Breitling Emergency. The second was in a training for work and this very attractive female said "nice watch, but it's expensive." The third and final time was an American Airlines Captain who sat next to me on a flight. He showed me his Chronomat. The only other time was when I was wearing my Omega Seamaster 2220.80, and someone asked if it was a Rolex, and when they found out it was "only an Omega," they got real snobby.

I now own a Deep Blue NATO Diver 300, which I would consider a homage to the Seiko SKX007. I previously owned a Seiko SKX007, but gave it to another family member when we were going on the water almost five years ago. For some reason I wanted another one a few weeks ago, and in another forum I saw someone post a picture of a Deep Blue NATO Diver 300. At first I didn't like it because it looks just like a Seiko SKX007, but the more I read about it, the more I liked it. It's 44mm compared to the Seiko's 42mm. However, what sold me on it was the AR coated sapphire crystal whereas Seiko uses a Hardlex crystal, and a better movement. The Deep Blue NATO Diver 300 uses a Seiko NH36 movement, compared to the Seiko 7S26 on the Seiko SKX007. That movement allows for hand winding and hacking the second hand. Granted the SKX007 is ten years older, it's still a great watch. If Seiko were to come out with an updated SKX007, I'd likely sell my Deep Blue NATO Diver 300 and buy one.
Last edited by ItnStln on Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

ItnStln

Post by ItnStln » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:57 am

toxicavenger wrote:This discussion is like poontang, what smells/taste fresh to me might stink to you. So I buy what I like and what I want. Screw everyone else.
Excellent analogy Terry!

poppydog
aka Nelldog
Name: Steve

Post by poppydog » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:10 pm

I simply see the various "homage" "copy" "replica" etc as semantic subjectivity and I buy what I like. I'll never afford a milsub, but would go for a really good (insert word ".....") for example.
Regards

Steve