Ft. Lauderdale Airport 5 dead, 9 injured...

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Re: Ft. Lauderdale Airport 5 dead, 9 injured...

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:01 pm

jimyritz wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
jimyritz wrote:you can travel with a gun in your bag if you are military?
no
=============

Thanks---you check the bag and the gun has to be in a hard case---that's what they said on TV...
=====

the guy emptied 2 clips and then got down on the floor spread eagle and waited..

Didn't seem like any security was in the baggage claim area..
Our cases were locked and sealed.

On private flights I know some guys who carried their own stuff. Paul might have the same rights also.

Sidheguitarist
Man of many calibers.
Name: Michael

Post by Sidheguitarist » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:16 pm

deepcdvr wrote:I never understood the attraction to airports; we spend an unbelievable amount of money making them hard targets. Your average mall on a weekend or any big city metro station has considerably more targets and are typically not well protected.
Yeah, but they're only hard on the inside, yes?. I can walk into the baggage claim area of any of the airports I frequent regularly just by putting quarters in a meter, and walking across a sky bridge. Only difference–at least where I live–is the malls have occasional bubbas shopping who will shoot back, and airports generally don't. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong: I'm for sure the amateur in this particular exchange. At any rate, lots of money sometimes just means lots of money; I'm moderately sure you'd be first to get my point.
deepcdvr wrote:Hope the survivors can get on with their lives relatively soon. Being exposed to trauma like this is life changing.
Amen. Horrifying to see something like this unfold.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:40 am

Sidheguitarist wrote:The reality is there is nothing to stop someone from just walking into the baggage claim from the outside of most regional airports and doing the same thing this guy just did.

And TSA doing anything to stop any of it is wishful thinking. The holes in TSA screening–both in action, and of the employees themselves–are proven.

ETA: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting ... ammunition (sorry chocodove)

The declaration tag, by law, goes on the outside of the locked firearm case, but inside the checked bag. The deal with the locked box inside checked luggage has to do with preventing theft by air industry employees, not stopping terror.

Sucks, but this is no different than a nightclub shooting, or a college campus shooting. Freak with a beef; lots of fish in a barrel.
My first thought as well. You can walk into any airport, mall, bar or train station and start shooting. Security isn't at the door.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:41 am

From what I am hearing now, the guy was definitely mentally ill. He reportedly went to the local FBI office in Anchorage incoherently claiming the government made him watch ISIS videos. He was taken to a mental healthcare facility for assessment.

He was also recently arrested for domestic abuse and discharged from the Army for "unsatisfactory performance".

I've got to assume he purchased the firearm used in this murder legally prior to these issues as any of the above would certainly make you a prohibited person.

There are ways to address this issue, but they aren't going to popular to the public:
1) Bolster our mental health spending and make it MUCH easier to have a patient admitted against their will. Do not release patients who even have a potential to commit harm to themselves or others.

2) Give LEO's the ability to search the homes of anyone convicted of a crime which would make them a prohibited person. This would be all felonies, domestic abuse, and some misdemeanors. (As an aside, a first offense DUI conviction in MA makes you a prohibited person as the punishment can be a year in jail. MA arrests about 13,000 people per year for DUI alone, so that would be a lot of searches).

I'm certain the cry will instead be for more gun laws and expanding the "secure zone" in airports which will likely do very little.

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Post by aikiman44 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:54 am

My wife was ther one day before. Pretty frightening.
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:56 am

Axelay2003 wrote:
sierra11b wrote:IF they still allow checked weapons there will be a no ammo policy. Pick up your ammo en route to your grizzly hunt. Airlines will tell flyers to take it or leave it.
That too, but what if there are no ammos sold at your destination?
That's the main reason I only have 12 ga and 300 Win Mag anymore. I can get ammo in any shithole in the world.
only accurate watches are interesting

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:11 am

Ryeguy wrote:From what I am hearing now, the guy was definitely mentally ill. He reportedly went to the local FBI office in Anchorage incoherently claiming the government made him watch ISIS videos. He was taken to a mental healthcare facility for assessment.

He was also recently arrested for domestic abuse and discharged from the Army for "unsatisfactory performance".

I've got to assume he purchased the firearm used in this murder legally prior to these issues as any of the above would certainly make you a prohibited person.

There are ways to address this issue, but they aren't going to popular to the public:
1) Bolster our mental health spending and make it MUCH easier to have a patient admitted against their will. Do not release patients who even have a potential to commit harm to themselves or others.

2) Give LEO's the ability to search the homes of anyone convicted of a crime which would make them a prohibited person. This would be all felonies, domestic abuse, and some misdemeanors. (As an aside, a first offense DUI conviction in MA makes you a prohibited person as the punishment can be a year in jail. MA arrests about 13,000 people per year for DUI alone, so that would be a lot of searches).

I'm certain the cry will instead be for more gun laws and expanding the "secure zone" in airports which will likely do very little.
On this point

He was coming from Alaska it's probably got slacker gun laws than MT every state is different in MT at a gun show I bought a hand gun no back ground check did show a MT drivers license and just walked out with it like the old days in Calif but then you buy a gun at a gun store in MT and they do a fast back ground check on the phone after you fill out the paper work and take the gun home the same day. But this is sad this happened.

Grahamcombat
Name: Graham

Post by Grahamcombat » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:34 am

I travel this same way almost weekly: full kit in a checked Pelican. One locked side has weapons, the other has full load out. Once it comes off the belt at baggage claim I'm good to go: 10" suppressed carbine with optics & atpial, plates & helmet (hard & soft) with NODS, a mid layer (warmth) & outer layer (rain), a ball cap & a boonie, and my Rhodesian with 8 topped off mags of 77gr, and pistol + 6 mags, and fixed blade GWAR & gloves, and a custom riggers belt with leg holes for rope work.

Every. Week.

In Uggs & LuLu sweatshirt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:01 am

:lol: :lol:
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

marchone
Capt. Obvious

Post by marchone » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:25 am

What is that gun?

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:37 am

Grahamcombat wrote:I travel this same way almost weekly: full kit in a checked Pelican. One locked side has weapons, the other has full load out. Once it comes off the belt at baggage claim I'm good to go: 10" suppressed carbine with optics & atpial, plates & helmet (hard & soft) with NODS, a mid layer (warmth) & outer layer (rain), a ball cap & a boonie, and my Rhodesian with 8 topped off mags of 77gr, and pistol + 6 mags, and fixed blade GWAR & gloves, and a custom riggers belt with leg holes for rope work.

Every. Week.

In Uggs & LuLu sweatshirt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Dammit Matt. I hear Wayne and Garth already.
The Hapa

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:52 pm

What a POS ... You have to be a special kind of f'd-up to get demoted as a nasty girl for lacking performance.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:00 pm

sierra11b wrote:What a POS ... You have to be a special kind of f'd-up to get demoted as a nasty girl for lacking performance.
I have no idea what this means.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:29 am

To add to my previous post, I just saw on the news this morning the FBI confiscated this guy's gun after he did his rant in their Anchorage office (he had the gun in his car).

The Police had to return the gun to him in December due to not being able to have him adjudicated mentally ill. This is not surprising - having someone sent to a mental institutation against their will is incredibly difficult to do in the US.

As the person was technically not being treated for mental illness, they had to return his gun.

It seems in nearly every recent mass shooting I can remember the perp is always known as someone who had a history of mental issues, but not being treated. We need to come to terms with this as a society and make it easier to have someone adjudicated as mentally ill even if against their will. We also need to come to terms with medical history privacy concerns versus public safety reporting.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:24 am

CGSshorty wrote:
sierra11b wrote:What a POS ... You have to be a special kind of f'd-up to get demoted as a nasty girl for lacking performance.
Guy was a National Guard (Nasty Girl) f-up according to his unit.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:26 am

sierra11b wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
Guy was a National Guard (Nasty Girl) f-up according to his unit.
Thank you for the translation. :thumbsup:
David St. Hubbins

Sidheguitarist
Man of many calibers.

Post by Sidheguitarist » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:41 am

Ryeguy wrote:
It seems in nearly every recent mass shooting I can remember the perp is always known as someone who had a history of mental issues, but not being treated. We need to come to terms with this as a society and make it easier to have someone adjudicated as mentally ill even if against their will. We also need to come to terms with medical history privacy concerns versus public safety reporting.
Agreed. Always issues; always warning signs. The question is how best to do this without enabling witch hunts.

ItnStln

Post by ItnStln » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:31 pm

Chocodove wrote:National Guard member as well.
He was discharged last year.

Tallguy
Name: Steve-0-reeno

Post by Tallguy » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:56 pm

Funny reading this string this evening; I was on scene working it within a half hour and busy with follow up most of the weekend. Sad day for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sidheguitarist
Man of many calibers.

Post by Sidheguitarist » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:20 pm

Tallguy wrote:Funny reading this string this evening; I was on scene working it within a half hour and busy with follow up most of the weekend. Sad day for sure.
Thanks for all your hard work. If you feel like offering input, I'd listen; if not, thanks for all your work.
:salute:
Last edited by Sidheguitarist on Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marchone
Capt. Obvious

Post by marchone » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:21 pm

Tallguy wrote:Funny reading this string this evening; I was on scene working it within a half hour and busy with follow up most of the weekend. Sad day for sure.
That's awesome.

:salute:

Tallguy
Name: Steve-0-reeno

Post by Tallguy » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:19 pm

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but this thread is f'd up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:47 pm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you for your work :salute:
- Todd

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:15 pm

Tallguy wrote:Not to be a Debbie Downer, but this thread is f'd up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All fixed.
David St. Hubbins