Why do this?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
KLR_Redux
Name: Karl

Why do this?

Post by KLR_Redux » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:53 pm

Was contacted on another site by someone regarding a watch listing I withdrew several months ago. After some discussion, I took several additional pictures for the potential buyer and IM'd them about a day after our last message. Comms silent since then. Really, dude, a "thanks but no thanks" is all it would take to be fricking polite. :banghead:

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Re: Why do this?

Post by streetracer101 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:57 pm

Yup. I can't even count how often folks will make me an offer and then vanish when I am agreeable. Civility in sales is dead.

nweash
Name: Nick

Post by nweash » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:59 pm

I had a guy agree on the phone. I sent him my bank info for wire. Disappeared after that. Pretty common in the sales dept...

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:01 pm

Some people are fishing to get a stupid low price.

hoppes-no9
Name: Dan

Post by hoppes-no9 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:51 pm

There's two kinds of people in this world (other than the DWC regulars): idiots and assholes.

KLR_Redux

Post by KLR_Redux » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:03 pm

Word

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:37 pm

The buyers market doesn't help either as you're likely to get trolls and scammers. Gotta be cautious and not too desperate to sell these days... Almost have to make the buyer work a bit for loyalty without spoiling a potential deal or giving away the store. It's tricky.
Last edited by sierra11b on Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KLR_Redux

Post by KLR_Redux » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:44 pm

I had changed my mind and pulled the listing months earlier. He reached out to ask if it was still available. I wasn't really up for selling but willing to consider.

poppydog
aka Nelldog
Name: Steve

Post by poppydog » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:48 pm

I think there's increasingly less civility and general politeness around these days; I know how good it feels when someone is polite and perhaps even goes out of their way, and how annoying it is when they're not, so I always try to make people feel good - it's easy and takes little effort.
Regards

Steve

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Re: Why do th

Post by sierra11b » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:50 pm

KLR_Redux wrote:I had changed my mind and pulled the listing months earlier. He reached out to ask if it was still available. I wasn't really up for selling but willing to consider.
You did nothing wrong. A lot of use have been there. Next time ask for a screen shot of his bank account before sending pics. :lol:

I'm convinced in this buyers market there's a sleazy salesman representative from every pawn shop and corner jewelry store across the country trolling for lowball deals. Don't take the lack of communication personal... they've already forgotten about you and are on to their next inquiry.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:32 pm

Selling sucks. I often get PMs saying "what's your lowest price". I try to be polite in my response and ask them to make a reasonable offer and generally get no response.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:28 pm

sierra11b wrote:
KLR_Redux wrote:I had changed my mind and pulled the listing months earlier. He reached out to ask if it was still available. I wasn't really up for selling but willing to consider.
You did nothing wrong. A lot of use have been there. Next time ask for a screen shot of his bank account before sending pics. :lol:

I'm convinced in this buyers market there's a sleazy salesman representative from every pawn shop and corner jewelry store across the country trolling for lowball deals. Don't take the lack of communication personal... they've already forgotten about you and are on to their next inquiry.
Interesting perspective

Sent from my Moto Z Force
Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

mikeylacroix
Name: Mike

Post by mikeylacroix » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:42 pm

BacoNoir wrote:Selling sucks. I often get PMs saying "what's your lowest price". I try to be polite in my response and ask them to make a reasonable offer and generally get no response.
Eh would u bid against urself n kindly tell me ur lowest/best price pls so I can further lowball u then we meet at the middle of my lowball n ur lowest then I ask u to waive the fees and throw in expedited shipping? Wld u kindly do that kind sir :salute:

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:11 pm

mikeylacroix wrote:
BacoNoir wrote:Selling sucks. I often get PMs saying "what's your lowest price". I try to be polite in my response and ask them to make a reasonable offer and generally get no response.
Eh would u bid against urself n kindly tell me ur lowest/best price pls so I can further lowball u then we meet at the middle of my lowball n ur lowest then I ask u to waive the fees and throw in expedited shipping? Wld u kindly do that kind sir :salute:
As soon as your mom finishes me off! LOL

Seriously, that's the reality a lot live in. When I get that kind of inquiry, if I don't know them, I'll research their participation on the forum and see if they are worth responding to at all. Some are just obvious flippers and I won't even bother.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:16 pm

I got so many inquiries for my Aqua Terra and shit like this was rampant. I lost the interest in selling. Now I'll just be opportunistic perhaps in a trade or something.

Sent from my Moto Z Force
Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

93 Turbo
Name: Jules

Post by 93 Turbo » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:27 pm

I had a friend on two occasion say he would buy one of my watches, the last occasion he said his wife said no.

Felt like saying, "grow some balls…". Was I pissed, especially after the second refusal. We all get get strung along at some point. J
Strength is = 2 or > than "tipping over a so- called smart car plastered in “Coexist” bumper stickers".

Pat McNamara.

mikeylacroix

Post by mikeylacroix » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:51 pm

93 Turbo wrote:I had a friend on two occasion say he would buy one of my watches, the last occasion he said his wife said no.

Felt like saying, "grow some balls…". Was I pissed, especially after the second refusal. We all get get strung along at some point. J
I tend to give mates rates if cash in hand in person...if that doesn't make dem pony up right away I know any future enquiries is bollocks

93 Turbo
Name: Jules

Post by 93 Turbo » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:53 pm

mikeylacroix wrote:
93 Turbo wrote:I had a friend on two occasion say he would buy one of my watches, the last occasion he said his wife said no.

I tend to give mates rates if cash in hand in person...if that doesn't make dem pony up right away I know any future enquiries is bollocks
Trust me he was getting mates rates, the buyer had just sold a business and was well and truly cashed up, in addition to commenting that he was definitely going purchase the watch after initially saying no. When he said no the second time I still look at him and think he's full of crap. J
Strength is = 2 or > than "tipping over a so- called smart car plastered in “Coexist” bumper stickers".

Pat McNamara.

mikeylacroix

Post by mikeylacroix » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:05 am

93 Turbo wrote:
mikeylacroix wrote:

Trust me he was getting mates rates, the buyer had just sold a business and was well and truly cashed up, in addition to commenting that he was definitely going purchase the watch after initially saying no. When he said no the second time I still look at him and think he's full of crap. J
Timewaster :angryfire:

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:57 am

#THANKSOBAMA

5661nicholas
Name: nick

Post by 5661nicholas » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:50 am

poppydog wrote:I think there's increasingly less civility and general politeness around these days; I know how good it feels when someone is polite and perhaps even goes out of their way, and how annoying it is when they're not, so I always try to make people feel good - it's easy and takes little effort.
This pretty much sums up my thoughts as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unsub073
Name: chris

Post by unsub073 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:12 am

I will thank the seller for there time even when I don't get the watch b/c someone got it before me. It takes a couple of seconds to be polite to someone when you've reached out to them about a watch.

Heuerville
Name: Stewart

Post by Heuerville » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:43 pm

I've developed a Jedi sense for the time wasters. Just tell 'em its OHPF.

As a strap maker, I'm lucky to have 99.9% of customers who just tell me what they want to order.
The other 0.1% are strange fish. They may ask 20-30 questions, over a period of 1 yr +, but never order.

You never know who you are dealing with. 3-4 years back I had this guy from Sweden who was asking loads of advice about a Heuer diver I had on my blog. His English was pretty good, if somewhat broken at times, but the guy was Swedish, so I never gave it a second thought. He was seeking the same model.
Anyway, we exchange watch/heuer related email chat sporadically over a long period, he half knew his stuff etc - this went on for maybe 12 months or so. Seemed like a nice guy into Heuers.
Then, I decided I wanted to sell the watch, so I dropped him an email.. we discussed price etc, then he says "I would love to buy it, but I don't have access to my Dad's credit card, I'm only 14 yrs old".

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Yes.. exactly. Creepy, weird, creepy ass shit. Never responded, delete all emails. Fuck me, creepy. WTF.
Stewart - Heuerville & Heuerville Straps
http://heuerville.wordpress.com/heuerville-straps/
"SOB get me a drink"

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:24 pm

Sounds like a sting Stewart.
only accurate watches are interesting

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:00 am

Seppia wrote:LOL
People in the nordics are like that, perfect English from 8 year olds to 88.
I was impressed when I went to Norway
Do they die at 89 or have strokes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by andrema on Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.