Scammer on WUS

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Scammer on WUS

Post by tattoo chef » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:07 am

Was contacted by Trtung on WUS for an item I have listed for sale.

He's in Vietnam and wanted it shipped to a US address. I don't entertain these things but wanted to see the address he said was PP VERIFIED.
Had him screen shot it and then I googled it.
The whole building is a scam.

If you get contacted by someone wanting to have shipped to this address, DO NOT DO IT.

14392 hoover st ste c6 westminster ca 92683

https://m.facebook.com/westminster.pd1/ ... 5671787567

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Re: Scammer on WUS

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:10 am

Good look out, there is a guy in Brazil doing the same scam also.

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Name: Jeff

Post by jswing » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:20 am

I don't understand the scam. If he bought something from you, and you shipped to a verified address, aren't you off the hook once it's delivered to that address? I'm not seeing how the guy is benefitting. :shrug:

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>

Post by tattoo chef » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:22 am

jswing wrote:I don't understand the scam. If he bought something from you, and you shipped to a verified address, aren't you off the hook once it's delivered to that address? I'm not seeing how the guy is benefitting. :shrug:
Because they are either a.) doing it with stolen money, or B) claiming it never arrived, and then the person or persons ships the item off to him and PayPal refunds him from your account.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:24 am

jswing wrote:I don't understand the scam. If he bought something from you, and you shipped to a verified address, aren't you off the hook once it's delivered to that address? I'm not seeing how the guy is benefitting. :shrug:
+1. But if you're concerned for some reason then have him wire the funds instead.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>

Post by tattoo chef » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:24 am

They also attempt (or do) hack your PayPal once you give them your PayPal account.

jswing

Post by jswing » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:36 am

tattoo chef wrote:
Because they are either a.) doing it with stolen money, or B) claiming it never arrived, and then the person or persons ships the item off to him and PayPal refunds him from your account.

I was under the impression that the seller is protected as long as they can show the item was delivered to a verified address. At any rate, it is dangerous out there. Any more I will pretty much only buy/sell here or with WUS guys with solid feedback.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:51 am

jswing wrote:
tattoo chef wrote:

I was under the impression that the seller is protected as long as they can show the item was delivered to a verified address. At any rate, it is dangerous out there. Any more I will pretty much only buy/sell here or with WUS guys with solid feedback.
That is my understanding as well. Always ship with 'adult signature required' so that you can prove that the item was delivered. There's always the SNAD angle but that's a different story.

I've pretty much gone to wire only or PayPal from people I know to avoid these issues.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:06 am

jswing wrote:
tattoo chef wrote:

Nope.

I've had it happen to me, but not with watches. I woman bought a couple cell phones from me, I shipped to her confirmed address. About 60 days later she claimed her account was used fraudulently and I was debited. I fought PayPal the best I could, even making sure to have a zero balance, but they made clear they would go after ME legally if I didn't square the loss. Seller protection is more a wish than a feature; while I may help some sellers, it's not foolproof like a wire transfer.

jswing

Post by jswing » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:12 am

hoppyjr wrote:
jswing wrote:
tattoo chef wrote:

Nope.

I've had it happen to me, but not with watches. I woman bought a couple cell phones from me, I shipped to her confirmed address. About 60 days later she claimed her account was used fraudulently and I was debited. I fought PayPal the best I could, even making sure to have a zero balance, but they made clear they would go after ME legally if I didn't square the loss. Seller protection is more a wish than a feature; while I may help some sellers, it's not foolproof like a wire transfer.
That sucks.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:20 am

jswing wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
jswing wrote:
tattoo chef wrote:

Nope.

That sucks.
That does suck. Yet one more reason to avoid PayPal.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:24 am

logan2z wrote:
jswing wrote:
tattoo chef wrote:

That is my understanding as well. Always ship with 'adult signature required' so that you can prove that the item was delivered. There's always the SNAD angle but that's a different story.

I've pretty much gone to wire only or PayPal from people I know to avoid these issues.
Honestly, if it's someone you trust I think a personal check makes sense. Cut PayPal out all together.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:26 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
logan2z wrote:
jswing wrote:
tattoo chef wrote:

Honestly, if it's someone you trust I think a personal check makes sense. Cut PayPal out all together.
If it's someone you trust, PP is fine too. Check fraud is even more common than PayPal fraud.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:29 am

hoppyjr wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
logan2z wrote:
jswing wrote:
tattoo chef wrote:

If it's someone you trust, PP is fine too. Check fraud is even more common than PayPal fraud.
Checks don't come with a 2.9% fee :)

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:25 am

I only take money order or cashier check and personal check if it's a long term forum member and know them real good if I sell a watch on the forum and I don't sell often. I do pay with paypal some times but don't want to receive money with it don't want to give them chumps my banking info I use a paypal credit card that if I use it to buy something with paypal I pay it off so those chumps don't get any interest from me. So far never been ripped off yet

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:33 pm

I'm floored. I'm on the hook if someone is using another person's account fraudulently? Damn.
The Hapa

Denizen

Post by Denizen » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:03 am

Thanks for posting.

So many ways to defraud you of the funds...Paypal is net to useless at times when it comes to protecting sellers.

DON
Name: Ontario

Post by DON » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:12 am

I had a guy use his mothers CC to buy a strap from me. Mother got bill at the end of the month and filed a chargeback. Paypal took the money out of my account.

I tracked down the mother through the address and she confirmed her son worked part-time and was always over at the house.

Told her she and her son were thieves. Using her card and then she files the chargeback.

Emailed Paypal with the info asking them to ban the buyer, but don't know if they ever did. Would have filed a complaint with the CC company, but Paypal wouldn't tell which card was used

DON

HapaHapa

Scammer on WUS

Post by HapaHapa » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:02 pm

This is all so f*cked up. Might as well just sell here at fire sale price to a smaller audience and at least sleep easy that I won't get screwed when 'you couldn't make this up' happens. Or, I guess, wire transfer.
The Hapa

HapaHapa

Post by HapaHapa » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:19 pm

Has anyone ever tried filing a complaint against PayPal with the Better Business Bureau? It seems like PayPal isn't fulfilling their obligation on the seller side.
The Hapa

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>

Post by tattoo chef » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:43 pm

HapaHapa wrote:Has anyone ever tried filing a complaint against PayPal with the Better Business Bureau? It seems like PayPal isn't fulfilling their obligation on the seller side.
It's widely known for the most part that PP favors the buyer. I've known it for years.
I was smart enough to not complete a transaction with this guy. You have to do your research. I've been screwed once by PayPal in the past, well, more by the persons CC company than PayPal.
You always have to look into the buyer and be careful.
I've been burned once and it had nothing to do with watches and I've had probably thousands of transactions with PayPal over the years.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:48 pm

Paypal is also anti-gun, so that's another reason to dislike them. Unfortunately the widespread recognition and acceptance make it the only viable game in town, for electronic payments.

I've used ChasePay successfully, but it takes a little explaining to the buyer. It seems more secure to the seller, as it's basically a money transfer and I don't believe it requires a transaction proof of delivery, etc.