Your Sleeper Watch

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
smalls
Name: Matt

Your Sleeper Watch

Post by smalls » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:38 pm

So have any of y'all ever bought a watch on a whim not really thinking you would like it only to have it find a permanent home in the collection? For me it's the SMP Bond. When I first saw it I wasn't a fan. I didn't like the bracelet, the skeleton hands looked hard to read, and I much preferred the 2254.50. Flash forward to a few weeks ago when I pocked one up just because, to be honest, I had tried everything in the price range that I was interested in. Now I can't seem to take it off. The bracelet is super comfortable, the hands are easy to read, and the blue is stunning. Was going to sell it towards another Doxa, but everytime I try to I end up stopping myself because I like it too much. So what's your sleeper watch?

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Re: Your Sleeper Watch

Post by SCM64 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:49 pm

Since I don't really flip or sell, I always make sure (as best I can) that its something I want to keep. So my sleeper watch, would have to be the one that has impressed me the most based on my expectations at the time. And that would have to be my Trimix. :love:

It's huge, heavy, badass, and has greatly exceeded my expectations. They werent low at all or I wouldnt have ordered it, but I bought it based on the looks (yea, the skull and bones helped :rolleyes: :oops: :lol: ), but love it based on the build quality and overall design, and attention to detail...and it's just rockin on ZULU. I got it on the Gen 2 mesh, and while very nice, I just can't get it off the ZULU.

I'm done with Micro brands, but feel like I hit a grand slam with this one, and it would be one of the last pieces to leave the collection. :ugeek:

Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

porschefan

Post by porschefan » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:53 pm

I'd say the closest in my collection to that description would be my Hamilton X-Wind. Only rose-gold colored one in the box. My wife saw our AD wearing one, and asked him if he had another in stock (of course he did :rolleyes: ), so it found it's way home. It really became more of a keeper when I took the OEM CF stamped strap off for the croc one.

Tim
A firm believer in - and enjoying a personal relationship with my wife
Life's too long for crappy food, beer, wine & watches.
"I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food."--W.C. Fields

Jamie
I'll slip an extra shrimp on the barbie for you
Name: Jamie

Post by Jamie » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:54 pm

I loved the design of the Legend Diver but it had so many things I was not keen on.
It was too small, too thin, the sailcloth strap sucked arse and even worse the internal bezel is all but useless. But one came up and they seemed to move fairly easily on the sales forum so if I didn't like it I could flip pretty quick.

Well was I surprised this one watch has actually pushed me back towards dress watches and away from my JSAR and other tanks. I even wear it on the wimpy OEM sailcloth from time to time.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:03 pm

The Kobold Comanche...bought that watch purely based on the lower intro price..

After all the crap that went on w/it then I was ready to sell. But, that watch is a keeper...

Deep black matte dial, bead blasted case...Easy to change straps...Love it on the black zulu but have a custom leather Greg Stevens waiting for the fall.

Couldn't be happier... :thumbsup:

Mike

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:07 pm

Still love this watch, don't know why..

VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Noisy Nova
Name: Dave

Post by Noisy Nova » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:35 pm

Had a look in the watch boxes.
Couldn't find one that would qualify as a sleeper.
:shrug:
Dave
Image Image

cali kid
Unabomber impersonator
Name: Trevor

Post by cali kid » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:57 pm

Maurice Lacroix Roger Federer.. Classic case, sapphire so clear it looks like there isnt any, solid silver dial, real blued hands, great rubber strap with a very cool clasp, classic movement that ML put their touch to and nice superluminova, Plus good old roger took off to Rolex not long after this was on the market! At 42mm used to think it was small but so happy i kept it and its thick to fit the customized 7750 in the case..

Image Image Image
Trevor

DMB
Global Moderator
Name: Magnificent Bastard
Location: On the high ground with interlocking fields of fire

Post by DMB » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:34 pm

Like Smalls, I got a blue Bond thinking I wouldn't keep it long. I traded a GMT Great White for the Bond Chrono. The bracelet always turned me off in pics, and at first I hated it. However, the longer I had it, the more I wore it. It is the ultimate "blue" dive watch and IMO is THE iconic Seamaster, albeit the chrono version. I flipped it to fund the Rolex GMT, but would love to get another blue bond SMP some day, be it either chrono or regular three hander.

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:07 am

Terry posted pics of it before he sent it to me, but I'd have to say my 1981 vintage 6309 fits that description. It's been serviced, pressure checked, and mildly modded with a domed sapphire crystal and killer blue lume. On a Super Oyster bracelet, it's just the one I seem to grab every day. And it survived a long weekend at a waterpark, so it's not just a geriatric showpiece.
If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:48 am

Hey Henry I want thing back! Your time is up, joking. Glad you like it so much. :thumbsup:

Here is my baby, Marcello C Pegasus. :cheers: And the other one is the one my wife bought me, Marcello C Tridente chrono. :drool:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

moishlashen
Name: Leu Sanis

Post by moishlashen » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:07 am

Oddly I took in an SMP Bond Chrono in on trade for an orange UTS1000m. At the time I was Mr. Micro brand and had no interest in Omega. Same deal looked at bracelet and all shiny parts in pics and hated it. Got it in, bolted it on and freakin loved it. Kept time to less than 1s/month also. Killer piece and Bond SMP is next on the list-prolly the 3 hander though.

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."

R@cerx
Name: David

Post by R@cerx » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:27 am

For me it's the Omega Speedmaster 3570.50. Never was interested in chronographs, but a member here had a really nice one for sale at a price that would have permitted me to try it out and let it go if it wasn't for me. Having never worn or handled one, I took the plunge. One of my best watch buying decisions ever.

T.R.
TRTV!
Name: Tommy Tutone

Post by T.R. » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:14 am

Cool question...

I have two sleepers.

First, the MKII Sea Fighter. I designed it myself, but it came on a strap that I hated. I have picked up numerous straps for it, but it never did seem to float to the top. It sat and sat, yet I could never bring myself to sell it... I mean, hell... I picked all the parts! But then... I found this mesh bracelet and now I can't seem to take the thing off. When I put it on... I wear it for 4 days at a pop.

Second, my Ball Night Train. I did not know if I'd dig it or not. I've considered selling it many times. But, everytime I put it on I end up loving it. Especially at night as it has 63 trit tubes and will light up the warden's face until she wakes up and tells me to sheath that beast! :)

unixshrk wrote: I'll put it on a nice NATO for you. :shifty:

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:18 am

T.R. wrote: Especially at night as it has 63 trit tubes and will light up the warden's face until she wakes up and tells me to sheath that beast! :)
:roll: :roll:
:htfu:

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:40 am

I don't recall too many sleeper watches... the past couple years has been a blur of flipping. The two that really got me though, and it's very apparent for those who know me - Kobold SEAL and Rolex Sub

Both of these, I kind of stumbled across accidentally during my too-regular trolling of the sales forums. The story is the same on each - I picked it up because it was a good deal, not knowing a ton about the brand. When I received it - well, the rest is history.

(The Kobold - which Trevor actually owns now)

Especially with the Rolex. Unlike with Kobold, where I just had no idea about the brand when I bought the SEAL, I actually had a pretty negative opinion about Rolex for most of my early WIS days. Pretty much the standard thing you hear from those who don't care for the brand - overpriced, paying only for brand name, played out, you can get an Invicta for 1/100th of the price, for rich posers, means you're making up for a small penis, etc....

Well, I was blown away after handling it. The quality was VERY apparent once you held it in your hand. Tight tolerances, sharp lines, great timekeeping, classic look (created, not imitated). The bracelet was a letdown, but even that wasn't enough to offset just how right the watch as a whole felt. Well, that was the start of it, and here I am now. :mrgreen:

:htfu:

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:12 am

This will seem odd, but my Tissot T-Touch is my sleeper. I bought it for the functions and because I wanted a pvd knock around watch...I love this thing. It gets picked up over my watches that cost much more...

SonnyD

Post by SonnyD » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:09 pm

My Deep Blue Master 2000 is kind of my sleeper. I didn't really buy it on a whim, but I got
it on kind of a special deal. I figured it was going to be way too big and heavy like my Debaufre'
Triton was, but it didn't turn out that way. It's about the same size and weight, but it wears
much nicer on my wrist. I was really surprized. It keeps awesome time too. don't know if they
do some tweeking on the 2824 or not, but it's right on the money for more then 24 hours at a
time.
Regards Sonny

cali kid
Unabomber impersonator
Name: Trevor

Post by cali kid » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:34 pm

matt.wu wrote:I don't recall too many sleeper watches... the past couple years has been a blur of flipping. The two that really got me though, and it's very apparent for those who know me - Kobold SEAL and Rolex Sub

Both of these, I kind of stumbled across accidentally during my too-regular trolling of the sales forums. The story is the same on each - I picked it up because it was a good deal, not knowing a ton about the brand. When I received it - well, the rest is history.

(The Kobold - which Trevor actually owns now)

Especially with the Rolex. Unlike with Kobold, where I just had no idea about the brand when I bought the SEAL, I actually had a pretty negative opinion about Rolex for most of my early WIS days. Pretty much the standard thing you hear from those who don't care for the brand - overpriced, paying only for brand name, played out, you can get an Invicta for 1/100th of the price, for rich posers, means you're making up for a small penis, etc....

Well, I was blown away after handling it. The quality was VERY apparent once you held it in your hand. Tight tolerances, sharp lines, great timekeeping, classic look (created, not imitated). The bracelet was a letdown, but even that wasn't enough to offset just how right the watch as a whole felt. Well, that was the start of it, and here I am now. :mrgreen:

Sweet Rolex Matt and like ive been saying for years Rolex just didnt luck into anything, they build state of the art watches and are so far ahead of the curve when it comes to R&D! You dont sell like they do just because someone on wall street had to have one in the 80's and the rest is history! They are bad-ass watches that look great but are made to be used as tools that you can wear with a tux.... Does it get any better??? Only if i had Adam's DSSD! Matt, my brother you hooked me up on the seal and it is a keeper and will always stay with my collection until i die and my son hits the pawn shops! :bird:
Image Image Image
Trevor

polaco23
Actually chooses to live in Detroit
Name: Dominik

Post by polaco23 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:50 pm

for me its two also.

First and foremost, my favorite watch. The Orient OS300M saturation diver. I obtained this watch with no knowledge of it, as a trade offer for my much loved Enzo Mechana Sub hatch. This watch blew me away when i received it. The lume is the best ive ever seen, indecies are outlined in chrome, almost 6mm thick sapphire crystal, power reserve auto, the nicest bezel feel out there, and a friggin ratcheting bracelet! The tool that came with this watch is no less amazing. Event he springbars are crazy tough and thick! Another cool part is the half hooded lugs, allowing every strap to have zero gap, and any 22mm bracelet look OEM!

I dont see myself getting rid of this bad boy, even after handeling the Seiko MM300 in NY last week. :grin:

Im happier than a pig in shit with this one!

The second is my Citizen Aqualand CO23. i bought it after wanting one for a few months, and this one is also perfection in my book. Every option you would want at your fingertips, depth, chrono, day, date, 2nd time zone, etc. this one has it, and has had it since 1985! (my birth year). another keeper. Not to mention the 24mm lugs allow tons of strap choices.

snootydog
Jagermaster
Name: Andy

Post by snootydog » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:48 am

My 'sleeper' used to be my orange Samurai. I bought it in my quest for something orange. I had two steel version Samurai's and loved them but the titanium cased orange version didnt feel the same at all and the hands,well as usual i hated the Seiko hands. Thought i had made a mistake with this one,i didnt enjoy wearing it. I changed the hands but that didnt help really. Then i got a set of original Seiko hands in chrome that normally go on the blue Samurai but these were for my PMMM project. The lume overpowered the aftermarket PMMM dial so i took them off that one and as an experiment,put them on the orange Samurai........bingo it looked great,to me anyway,just the look i wanted. So now i feel the love for this one i very nearly got rid of. Here's the three stages it went through.

Andy :uj: