Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
james80
Name: James

Re: Glycine bought out by Invicta Watch Group

Post by james80 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:56 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
justsellbrgs wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:ML is my prediction to be the next one to bite the dust or be acquired by a shitty Chinese company.
A guy that has been on this forum and is in touch mentioned to me a few months back: ML, FConstant, JeanRichard.......and maybe Glycine... :shock:

I guess he should be laying some bets in Vegas on his next visit....
F. Constant was lucky to be gobbled up by Citizen.
Along with Alpina.

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:48 pm

craniotes wrote:I can guarantee that 10 LEs for a lousy watch club ain't turning shit around for the brand. :shrug:

Regards,
Adam
Probably not. If they're serious about turning things around, they need to take a hard look at a re-brand and get rid of the shit mall watch name. Hell, if the ditch ML all together and just keep their logo there offerings would probably be much more well received.

craniotes
Thread Pooper
Name: Ad Rock

Post by craniotes » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:25 pm

The name is shit, plain and simple. Hell even the story behind it is shit (it's the name of a mid-level exec; they thought it sounded "expensive"). As you noted, it sounds like something you'd buy at a mall kiosk.

And that's a real shame, because they actually make great watches, and unlike some other brands that occupy this space, they're a true manufacture that makes their own movements (the Masterpiece collection) and cases. Having visited their manufactory in the Jura region of Switzerland, I can attest firsthand to their dedication and capabilities.

Will they be sold? It's possible. DKSH, the holding company that owns them has plenty of cash, but that only amounts to so much before the bean counters start asking uncomfortable questions. Personally, I hope they can hang on, but given the direction the market is headed it's seeming more and more likely.

Regards,
Adam
CAPT. THREAD POOPER

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:53 pm

craniotes wrote:The name is shit, plain and simple. Hell even the story behind it is shit (it's the name of a mid-level exec; they thought it sounded "expensive"). As you noted, it sounds like something you'd buy at a mall kiosk.

And that's a real shame, because they actually make great watches, and unlike some other brands that occupy this space, they're a true manufacture that makes their own movements (the Masterpiece collection) and cases. Having visited their manufactory in the Jura region of Switzerland, I can attest firsthand to their dedication and capabilities.

Will they be sold? It's possible. DKSH, the holding company that owns them has plenty of cash, but that only amounts to so much before the bean counters start asking uncomfortable questions. Personally, I hope they can hang on, but given the direction the market is headed it's seeming more and more likely.

Regards,
Adam
Isn't DKSH shopping ML around? Last I heard DKSH wants to get out of the watch business altogether.

Name aside, as many brands have bad names, their problem is marketing, or should I say lack there of, especially here in the states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:53 am

Now seems like a great time to get out, unless you're in it for the long hall.

craniotes
Thread Pooper
Name: Ad Rock

Post by craniotes » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:21 pm

tattoo chef wrote:Isn't DKSH shopping ML around? Last I heard DKSH wants to get out of the watch business altogether.
:o
Name aside, as many brands have bad names, their problem is marketing, or should I say lack there of, especially here in the state.
In fact, that news dropped the day before I was to spend time with their CEO and tour their manufacture early last summer, so you can probably guess what one of the first things was that we all wound up discussing.

DKSH digs the whole watch thing, but they freely admit that they don't know shit-all about selling them. Their plan was to sell the company, but retain the distribution rights, and even then, only to a company that they were confident would do the manufacture justice.

They didn't find one, so they took it off the market.

Now, with the sale of Glycine to Invicta, I have to wonder if they're gonna try again with ML...

Regards,
Adam
CAPT. THREAD POOPER

1watchaholic
Name: Gary

Post by 1watchaholic » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:49 pm

Sad! But maybe as the news spreads the prices of some of the old stuff i.e. Lagunare, Incursore may drop to Invicta pricing and I'll gladly swoop in! ;)
Among Addictions…None is like the "Watchaholic" - Gary

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:25 am

craniotes wrote:
tattoo chef wrote:Isn't DKSH shopping ML around? Last I heard DKSH wants to get out of the watch business altogether.
:o
Name aside, as many brands have bad names, their problem is marketing, or should I say lack there of, especially here in the state.
In fact, that news dropped the day before I was to spend time with their CEO and tour their manufacture early last summer, so you can probably guess what one of the first things was that we all wound up discussing.

DKSH digs the whole watch thing, but they freely admit that they don't know shit-all about selling them. Their plan was to sell the company, but retain the distribution rights, and even then, only to a company that they were confident would do the manufacture justice.

They didn't find one, so they took it off the market.

Now, with the sale of Glycine to Invicta, I have to wonder if they're gonna try again with ML...

Regards,
Adam
We should buy them out. DWC Watches, with funding by Zack!

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:02 am

I don't love Glycine, but I do actually wish for a brighter future for ML. I do like a lot of what they're doing.
:htfu:

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:55 am

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f18/interv ... 81609.html
Interview with Stephan Lack regarding Invicta acquiring Glycine Watches SA

Dear Mr Lack, thank you for taking your time to satisfy Glycine enthusiasts curiosity. The information that Invicta Watches bought Glycine Watches SA is one of the hottest topics nowadays in platforms where watch buyers, enthusiasts and collectors frequent.We will be happy to hear from you the direction and what to expect. Thank you for sharing your time answering below questions:

Q1. Mr Lack, directly into the topic with the million dollar question: With Invicta having acquired Glycine and these two brands being in different segments, many Glycine enthusiasts are worried that the Glycine DNA will be changed. What should and could Glycine enthusiasts expect regarding future manufacture and models?

A: Glycine and Invicta brands are two independent brands in the same group. There are absolutely no intentions to have a mixture of the two brands. Glycine will stay Glycine. You can expect further developments mainly in the Airman and in the Combat collection. Glycine will stay a Swiss brand producing mainly automatic Swiss watches at a very attractive price point. In the Airman collection you will find a contemporary line and a historical line. We also see potential in the new Combat SUB Aquarius line where we will extend the line with new striking models.

Q2. With respect to Glycine’s 103 year-old continuous history of watchmaking and its contributions to horology from the very early automatic movements, to 24 hour scale rotating bezels and crown adjusting systems, how do you see Invicta will add value to the brand and its market positioning?

A: The Invicta Group stands for a very healthy and highly succesful family company. Invicta will heavily push the distribution in USA / South America and strongly support in marketing services (i.e. social media, webpage, product environment, POS Design). We also see synergies in purchase and production of Swiss made watches.

Q3. Invicta raising concerns with their marketing and sales strategy amongst the watch enthusiasts with heavy discounts ( so as 90% ) and distribution channels ( so as TV ), is Glycine planned to be a part of the whole system ?

A: Glycine is more conservative than Invicta and does not have the similar target group compared to Invicta and Technomarine. Let’s wait and see where it makes sense to ride on the Invicta marketing wave and where not.

Q4. Are there and discussions or plans that Invicta will invest in Glycine for higher segment products with manufacture movements ?

A: Nothing is impossible, the question here is the positioning of the brand in the market. Usually the watch buyers do not really respect the pure price / value of a brand if a brand quits its “perceived” brand positioning. The market sees Glycine in the posioning of a Swiss mechanical watch brand in the core segment of 700 to 2000 Swiss Francs. I have my doubts whether we could sell big quantities of a Glycine watch with an own caliber at a much higher price point.

Q5. What are Glycine’s current production volumes per annum these years? Do these numbers reach or exceed the company’s expectations? Which models are the most popular?

A: We make about 7500 pieces. We have expected a higher volume for 2015 and 2016, the gap comes mainly from Asia. Therefore I see two reasons: First, Asia is – as we all know - a bit slow in watch sales at the moment. Second, the intention to sell all stakes in the watch industry didn’t make DKSH much ambitous in the last 12 months, in my view. Anyway, we plan a significant growth in the coming years as Asia will become strong again and the US market will become the locomotive.

Q6. Swatch Group not supplying ebauches to outside anymore how does Glycine react to the needs of manufacture.

A: It is as it is. As our production went into the ASUAG production already in 1942 we can say we are still somehow a small part of ETA for almost 75 years. By the way, Swatch Group confirmed Glycine to deliver all desired quantities from 2020 on.

Q7. And finally: As the CEO of Glycine Watches SA is there anything in particular that you would like to say to the fans of the brand and the watches it produces?

A: Dear fans, I am running Glycine now for more than 5 years: I have always repsected and will always respect the great history and the strong DNA of this fantastic brand. However this is not enough, in order to have a good chance in the market for the coming 100 years and also to reach new customers we also have to modernize and dynamize Glycine from time to time. This step we mainly do with new prodcuts in our contemporary line: The new Airfighter and the new Combat SUB Aquarius are the best examples.

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:11 pm

so if his ETA orders are confirmed to 2020 and his sales are in the shitter I guess Lalo made a good move to secure ETA movements.... I wonder if Invicta tells Glycine to double all their ETA orders.......and if Swatch confirms ...
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

Diaboliq
Strap Maker Extraordinaire
Name: Joe

Post by Diaboliq » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:17 am

When I heard this news I cried almost. My first big watch love was lagunare 3819 and I cannot forgive myself selling it. Let's just hope designs will remain pure
Click:

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:27 am

It's like Tata buying Jaguar and Land Rover
Oh wait, Tata did buy Jaguar and Land Rover :)

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:28 pm

Makes me even happier I just picked one up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

hobbit712
Name: Steve

Post by hobbit712 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:30 pm

Yea I also have a new Glycine incoming next month from Massdrop.
https://watchidiotsavants3.godaddysites.com/
instagram @watchidiotsavants

Chase after the dream, don't chase after the money

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:45 pm

Diaboliq wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:17 am
When I heard this news I cried almost. My first big watch love was lagunare 3819 and I cannot forgive myself selling it. Let's just hope designs will remain pure
Sup Josip!
:htfu:

Diaboliq

Post by Diaboliq » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:56 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:27 am
It's like Tata buying Jaguar and Land Rover
Oh wait, Tata did buy Jaguar and Land Rover :)
.. And they made it better. But glycine wasn't as plagued as ford/Volvo owned Jaguar back in the days.
Click:

Diaboliq

Post by Diaboliq » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:57 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:45 pm
Diaboliq wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:17 am
Sup Josip!
Missed ya Wu :love:
Click: