Thoughts / Experience with Laco / Stowa Flieger

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Joe C
Name: Joe

Thoughts / Experience with Laco / Stowa Flieger

Post by Joe C » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:11 am

Recently the WW2 era " flieger" style watches have caught my eye. If my budget were higher I would snag an IWC or Glashutte Original, but alas it is not. That being said it appears the two games in town ( for my budget (+\- $1000)are Laco and Stowa...

I like the idea of them being in the original five, and they appear to be close to the original. I have never put my mits on either brand and wonder if one would be more appealing then the other. Surely some of you guys have handled or owned these. Could you give me your thoughts on quality/ durability/ wearability.

Here's a couple of pics.

Laco

Stowa

pure awesomeness :
(adj) The condition of having no faults, being completely extreme, and incredibly sick at life.

Torrid
Name: Heath

Re: Thoughts / Experience with Laco / Stowa Flieger

Post by Torrid » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:58 am

I've never owned either but I'm a huge fan of Stowa. I'll own one some day.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:00 am

I had the larger (43mm) Stowa Klassik Flieger Sport and absolutely loved it. Much higher quality than the price would suggest.

Joe C

Post by Joe C » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:07 am

hoppyjr wrote:I had the larger (43mm) Stowa Klassik Flieger Sport and absolutely loved it. Much higher quality than the price would suggest.
What's the difference between the regular flieger and the flieger sport?
pure awesomeness :
(adj) The condition of having no faults, being completely extreme, and incredibly sick at life.

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:10 am

any reason you're not interested in the archimede? that would be in your price range, too. i know drew has one of the bronze ones. come in 36/39/42/45mm. eta2824 movement. about $550 on leather (w/o VAT).

http://www.archimede-watches.com/watches/pilot.html

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:12 am

I've owned a Laco Dortmund and Westerland, both 45mm sterile dial B-Uhr reproductions. They're nicely made and the closest thing to the real deal. They do wear pretty large and the lugs are straight so consider carefully which size to buy. If I bought again I might consider the 42mm. Laco's customer service is top-notch.

I considered Stowa too but 40mm is too small for a B-Uhr style watch IMO - despite the fact that 'they're all dial'. That said, they're beautiful watches and their CS is supposed to be awesome as well. Definitely a more modern interpretation than the Laco.

If historical accuracy is the goal then the Laco is the better choice. If you don't want something quite as toolish as the Laco and the 40mm diameter works for you then I don't think you can go wrong with the Stowa.

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:13 am

Archimede seems tempting, I've never looked at them.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:19 am

A few shots of my (now departed) Lacos

Joe C

Post by Joe C » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:22 am

gwells wrote:any reason you're not interested in the archimede? that would be in your price range, too. i know drew has one of the bronze ones. come in 36/39/42/45mm. eta2824 movement. about $550 on leather (w/o VAT).

No reason per sey, I guess they weren't in original five to make fliegers back in the day... But I will take a look :fro:
pure awesomeness :

Joe C

Post by Joe C » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:31 am

logan2z wrote:I've owned a Laco Dortmund and Westerland, both 45mm sterile dial B-Uhr reproductions. They're nicely made and the closest thing to the real deal. They do wear pretty large and the lugs are straight so consider carefully which size to buy. If I bought again I might consider the 42mm. Laco's customer service is top-notch.

I considered Stowa too but 40mm is too small for a B-Uhr style watch IMO - despite the fact that 'they're all dial'. That said, they're beautiful watches and their CS is supposed to be awesome as well. Definitely a more modern interpretation than the Laco.

If historical accuracy is the goal then the Laco is the better choice. If you don't want something quite as toolish as the Laco and the 40mm diameter works for you then I don't think you can go wrong with the Stowa.
Good assessment ...Love your GO, BTW :fro:
pure awesomeness :

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:32 am

Joe C wrote:
logan2z wrote:I've owned a Laco Dortmund and Westerland, both 45mm sterile dial B-Uhr reproductions. They're nicely made and the closest thing to the real deal. They do wear pretty large and the lugs are straight so consider carefully which size to buy. If I bought again I might consider the 42mm. Laco's customer service is top-notch.

Good assessment ...Love your GO, BTW :fro:
Thanks!

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:43 am

Archimede - awesome watch, in-house case and very high quality through out the whole watch.

1954Selmer
Name: RC

Post by 1954Selmer » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:43 am

I have purchased three new Stowa pieces. I had positive service experience and the quality is amazing. I still have the 40mm Stowa flieger (extremely thin and light). My wrist is about 6.5, so I dig this particular piece. Too many variables in the buffet of life...

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:21 am

I've owned a ton of Stowa watches and they were all very good quality. I even owned a flieger chronograph, which was fantastic. Both brands have a great pedigree that goes back to the original 5 brands that built the WWII models. IMO Stowa has a better reputation, so that is what I would buy...but Laco wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Great watch...

andrema

Post by andrema » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:23 am

On 7.25 wrist

Joe C

Post by Joe C » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:36 pm

gwells wrote:any reason you're not interested in the archimede? that would be in your price range, too. i know drew has one of the bronze ones. come in 36/39/42/45mm. eta2824 movement. about $550 on leather (w/o VAT).

After a closer look it sure seems like the value in this watch is tremendous.... Can't seem to find if the blue hands are heat treated or colored. :think:
pure awesomeness :

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:42 pm

Heat treated

I had one of their first models 10-12 years ago, was a lovely watch. Sold it only cause it felt small (to me)

Joe C

Post by Joe C » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:10 pm

Panerai7 wrote:Heat treated

I had one of their first models 10-12 years ago, was a lovely watch. Sold it only cause it felt small (to me)

Thanks Art :thumbsup:
pure awesomeness :

andrema

Post by andrema » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:14 pm

I'd go for 1 of the 5 original makers for a Flieger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:29 pm

Joe C wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:I had the larger (43mm) Stowa Klassik Flieger Sport and absolutely loved it. Much higher quality than the price would suggest.
What's the difference between the regular flieger and the flieger sport?
I'm not sure what size the standard model is, but the Klassik Sport is 43mm case, 12.8 tall, 24mm lugs, and water resistant to 200m with a screw-down crown.

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:05 pm

Funny this thread happened because I've been feeling the same thing. I'd love an IWC Mark XVIII but can't justify that price for a Sellita base.

Archimede is the only one that really comes close (like Art's pictures) and has the option of bracelet, which looks comfy, but it's not one of the original five! :banghead:

http://www.archimede-watches.com/pilot- ... steel.html

http://www.archimede-watches.com/watche ... ic-42.html

BUT I think all of the original five have been handed down through numerous ownership throughout the years. The only one that's been kept entirely in the family (3rd generation) is Archimede which says something.

andrema

Post by andrema » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:12 pm

The new Stowa T02 Flieger model is nice too!

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:37 pm

sierra11b wrote:Funny this thread happened because I've been feeling the same thing. I'd love an IWC Mark XVIII but can't justify that price for a Sellita base.

Archimede is the only one that really comes close (like Art's pictures) and has the option of bracelet, which looks comfy, but it's not one of the original five! :banghead:

http://www.archimede-watches.com/pilot- ... steel.html

http://www.archimede-watches.com/watche ... ic-42.html

BUT I think all of the original five have been handed down through numerous ownership throughout the years. The only one that's been kept entirely in the family (3rd generation) is Archimede which says something.
that 39 on steel bracelet is my eventual replacement for the maratac mid i almost never wear now.

Joe C

Post by Joe C » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:59 am

andrema wrote:The new Stowa T02 Flieger model is nice too!

I am leaning seriously toward this one, for its more modern design and increased water resistance.

Saw your review of this one on WUS... Great job Mark.

If you still have it I'd be curious to hear your long term thoughts on it.
Last edited by Joe C on Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
pure awesomeness :

ncstate1201
Name: Geoff B

Post by ncstate1201 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:26 pm

While I have held neither of them my understanding is that Stowa was designed by schauer and is supposed to be a much higher quality. I had heard that Stowa would do more detailing upgrades to the stock movements, but I am in no way an expert on this subject.