General watch talk.
BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Re: Which is the better

Post by BSears » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:08 am

matt.wu wrote:
BSears wrote:Thought about it. If you are going to blow $20k on a watch, why spend the majority of that money on a precious metal, or for Christ's sake, carbon fiber. Get something meticulously hand-made, and who gives a flying rip if anybody recognizes it on your wrist. That YachtMaster screams look at me I'm somebody dammit. But hey, buy what makes you happy. At the end of the day, this is really nothing more than another gd WUS-type post anyway. Jesus....
Only problem, drunk Brad, is that most "meticulously handmade" watches come with proportionate service price tag. For instance, FPJ simple three hander STARTS at $3500...

:shock:
Well, moderately sober Matt, I didn't factor the service cost into this equation. So let me modify my original post to say REALLY nice, possibly handmade watch that skips the precious metal or "look at me factor" and maybe have some $$ left over for that first service. Seriously, though, if you're dropping $20k on a watch, are you really that concerned about the service cost?
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod

Post by BSears » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:11 am

JBZ wrote:
matt.wu wrote:
BSears wrote:Thought about it. If you are going to blow $20k on a watch, why spend the majority of that money on a precious metal, or for Christ's sake, carbon fiber. Get something meticulously hand-made, and who gives a flying rip if anybody recognizes it on your wrist. That YachtMaster screams look at me I'm somebody dammit. But hey, buy what makes you happy. At the end of the day, this is really nothing more than another gd WUS-type post anyway. Jesus....
Only problem, drunk Brad, is that most "meticulously handmade" watches come with proportionate service price tag. For instance, FPJ simple three hander STARTS at $3500...

Putting aside your upsetting typo ( :mrgreen: ), some people are into precious metal, and they're willing to spend for it. I freely admit that the WG Sub has the exact same 3135 movement I can get in a SS Sub. Doesn't stop me from wanting the watch. A Patek or an AP jumbo would be cool, too.
I looked. What typo? :scratch: granted I haven't eaten yet so I may be overlooking it. You ladies and your precious metals. You guys want some diamonds in the bezel, too?

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:15 am

BSears wrote:
JBZ wrote:
matt.wu wrote:

Putting aside your upsetting typo ( :mrgreen: ), some people are into precious metal, and they're willing to spend for it. I freely admit that the WG Sub has the exact same 3135 movement I can get in a SS Sub. Doesn't stop me from wanting the watch. A Patek or an AP jumbo would be cool, too.
I looked. What typo? :scratch: granted I haven't eaten yet so I may be overlooking it. You ladies and your precious metals. You guys want some diamonds in the bezel, too?
Matt said $3,500 for an FP Journe. Pretty sure he meant $35,000 (or, like others have said, I'm ordering one today). I do think a WG or platinum watch would be cool, but I also like the concept of haute horlogerie when it comes to movements, and I also see the appeal of a vintage Double Red Sea Dweller and the like. So, basically, it's probably a good thing that I can't afford any of them, because I still wouldn't be able to make up my mind.

And no yellow gold or diamonds for me. I'll leave that for Pat (who's been AWOL lately - what's up with that?).

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod

Re: Which is the better "all-in" watch?

Post by BSears » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:22 am

I thought he was saying the service on an FPJ started at $3500. I have no idea what is happening right now. :lol:

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:24 am

BSears wrote:I thought he was saying the service on an FPJ started at $3500. I have no idea what is happening right now. :lol:
Crap. You're absolutely right. Maybe I'm the drunk one.

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod

Post by BSears » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:28 am

Little early for that, ain't it? You lush. :drinkingbuddies:

Said the pot to the kettle.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:42 am

I don't like JPJ. Strange, I know.

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:51 am

that $3,500 service is more than all but one of my watches cost new.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:12 am

FPJ is gorgeous
I'd spend 20K on that before a Rolex

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:21 am

I don't like the organic looking handset, and I never have. I'd prefer a JLC, Patek, or ALS. That is a nice watch though.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:31 am

Oh, that's my favorite part. I'm getting the Undonewatch made with those :lol:

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:36 am

It's certainly disinctive. I've never seen one in person, so it might be great - don't love it in macros though.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:27 pm

I got tired of the FPJ soon after acquiring. Unlike Rolex, it's not a very versatile watch. It's kind of a one trick pony that I got over pretty quickly.
:htfu:

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:46 pm

matt.wu wrote:I got tired of the FPJ soon after acquiring. Unlike Rolex, it's not a very versatile watch. It's kind of a one trick pony that I got over pretty quickly.
You've owned all the big dress brands at this point, haven't you? How did FPJ compare to your high end ALS, for instance?

blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Post by blkgsl » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:19 pm

matt.wu wrote:I got tired of the FPJ soon after acquiring. Unlike Rolex, it's not a very versatile watch. It's kind of a one trick pony that I got over pretty quickly.
100% agreed. Not even as versatile as a dressy Patek or Lange imo.

Sent from Tapatalk

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:55 am

BSears wrote:
outtatime wrote:I'm not sure how this is "another WUS post". I was just trying to strike up a discussion about watches. You know, on a watch discussion forum?

How is this any different than any other "this or that?" Post here?

Y so serious?? I like talking about watches. Don't you??
Jesus, remove sand from vagina, fella. This ranks up there with "what watch should I buy". Oh wait, that's exactly what this thread is about. What's next? Can I shower with this watch? Fuck.
To be fair, there are a few people here who only post look at me type threads, show-casing their collections or new acquisitions every few months. Nobody seems to complain about those people or their threads and they are equally (if not more) WUSsy.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:11 am

streetracer101 wrote:
BSears wrote:
outtatime wrote:I'm not sure how this is "another WUS post". I was just trying to strike up a discussion about watches. You know, on a watch discussion forum?

Jesus, remove sand from vagina, fella. This ranks up there with "what watch should I buy". Oh wait, that's exactly what this thread is about. What's next? Can I shower with this watch? Fuck.
To be fair, there are a few people here who only post look at me type threads, show-casing their collections or new acquisitions every few months. Nobody seems to complain about those people or their threads and they are equally (if not more) WUSsy.

On a watch forum? Madness.

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:23 am

JBZ wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:
BSears wrote:

On a watch forum? Madness.
I like DWC because there are plenty of other threads that are not watch related and not many attention seeking threads typical of other watch forums. There are more than a few people here with crazy collections that post almost nothing watch related....on a watch forum. It really is madness, isn't it?

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:30 am

Speaking of attention seekers, is Nishant still around?

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:46 am

streetracer101 wrote:Speaking of attention seekers, is Nishant still around?

On here, or in general?

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:48 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:Speaking of attention seekers, is Nishant still around?

On here, or in general?
I haven't seen anything from him in a while on recon out here.

drster
Name: mark

Post by drster » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:06 am

Another vote for the YM. I am a fan of rose gold and I love the look of a black dial and a rose gold case. My only complaint with the YM is the Bezel is too monotone. But I still plan to have one.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:25 am

Future DWC Florida GTG....

cdnwatchguy
Name: Keith

Post by cdnwatchguy » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:45 am

Between those two, AP. The carbon is a cool look and I don't like gold "sports" watches.
cheers,

Keith

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:59 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Of the two options, I say Go for the more conservative, blue version

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk