steinhart ocean one bronze

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
HapaHapa
Name: Eric

steinhart ocean one bronze

Post by HapaHapa » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:14 pm

I like how they fitted the rubber strap onto end links, although the canvas looks better.
The Hapa

dmgreen11
Name: Darren

I like this one quite a bit....

Post by dmgreen11 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:18 pm

Steinhart is about as good as it gets in the price range in which they operate.

A bronze cased, Eta movement for under $500 - looks good to me.

Darren

Blackdog
Name: Luis

Re: steinhart ocean one bronze

Post by Blackdog » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:05 am

FWIW I got a reply from Steinhartwatches to my questions regarding the material and the shipping times to Holland, I mentioned it looked a bit brassy.

The reply is pretty clear:

>>>
it’s made of CuSn8 bronze.

From the day we see your payment here in our account, we need at the moment approx 4 – 5 working days for packing and sending an email with tracking number.
<<<

Unfortunately, the estimated 4-5 working days before they can ship gets dangerously close to my time window limits. I will wait until my return to buy it (after all I will likely go diving again in December... :grin: )

Blackdog

Post by Blackdog » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:01 am

At that price I HAD to pull the trigger... I decided to call them on the phone last Tuesday, and then I learned that if I ordered that day they were confident that they could ship by last Monday. We agreed that if I didn't receive the shipment confirmation by Monday I would call again to re-arrange a delivery after I came back from Holidays. Excellent communications and customer service so far ! :clap:

This one showed up yesterday.

First impressions: Not bad... Not bad at all... ;)

I went for the version with the rubber band, which is actually pretty good: soft and flexible. Eventually I will also source their canvas strap, I think the watch looks its best on that. But it also wears very well on a brown bomber-jacket distressed leather and on an Isofrane.

But in the meantime I'm happy with this combo. One day of use and it is already developing some brownish discoloration where it most often touches the skin. I'm going on holiday next week, we'll see how it reacts to seawater.

This is my first Steinhart, and coming from (significantly) more expensive brands, I have to say I am very impressed with the overall quality and finish detail.

Very happy so far with this purchase. :grin:

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:28 am

Congrats!
Is that bracelet link contraption removable?

Blackdog

Post by Blackdog » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:14 am

Panerai7 wrote:Congrats!
Is that bracelet link contraption removable?
Thanks !
Yes, it is removable. The enlink is the standard one, held in place by normal spring bars. The other pece is actually the first link of the bracelets. The rubber strap attaches to it with a screw/collar set.

This give you options. You can remove the whole thing and use normal straps. Or cut a strap accordingly and use it with just the endlink.

I did this with a rubberized ballistic fabric strap from Panatime and it is also a good setup.

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:27 pm

you shouldn't get a steinhart canvas, you should get bespoke from art or drew.

Blackdog

Post by Blackdog » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:54 pm

gwells wrote:you shouldn't get a steinhart canvas, you should get bespoke from art or drew.
Tell me more...

dathanw
Name: Dathan

Post by dathanw » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:05 pm

Love the look....I imagine the watch would take on a nice patina as the bronze ages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:37 pm

Panerai7 is drunkartstraps and Drew is aboen. They both make great straps, many in canvas. You can pick material color and stitch color. Don't know how long their backlogs are.

Blackdog

Post by Blackdog » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:53 pm

gwells wrote:Panerai7 is drunkartstraps and Drew is aboen. They both make great straps, many in canvas. You can pick material color and stitch color. Don't know how long their backlogs are.
Looked them up. Definitely the way to go, thanks for the tip.
Blackdog wrote:You can remove the whole thing and use normal straps. Or cut a strap accordingly and use it with just the endlink.
I did this with a rubberized ballistic fabric strap from Panatime and it is also a good setup.
This is what I meant:

Definitely needs a bronze buckle, but you get the idea.

BTW, does anyone know of a source of decently priced bronze buckles ?

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:26 am

There are some decent looking bronze buckles on eBay. A lot of them are enormous and ugly, but there are some simple thumbnail buckles, too.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins