AP Repair/Service costs

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
ericf4
(TBD) Penis

AP Repair/Service costs

Post by ericf4 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:29 am

Guys,

Im considering an AP for a next watch. I happened across a few vids online (One was archie luxury i know) talking about how AP repair and service charges are sky high, "They can make a grown man weep". Im starting to factor that in as to whether or not i want to own one. Anyone here have experience with AP service? Pat i know you did and I recall it was expensive.

Im looking at the AP divers. Found a pic of when i tried Pats on at a GTG...man those are hot. Especially the new ones with the see thru back.

oooooh

Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Re: AP Repair/Service costs

Post by matt.wu » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:40 am

It's an excellent experience as far as factory service goes. One of the best I've encountered, and I think appropriately priced. But yes, the price is commensurate with MSRP.
:htfu:

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:44 am

Like someone said in another thread on the subject, it's like buying a Ferrari and complaining about the gas mileage :)

mikeylacroix
Name: Mike

Post by mikeylacroix » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:06 am

Singapore AD quoted pt of mine about 3k SGD for a basic service on a 15300. He got it done thru my watch guy for wayyyy lower than that...

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:12 am

mikeylacroix wrote:Singapore AD quoted pt of mine about 3k SGD for a basic service on a 15300. He got it done thru my watch guy for wayyyy lower than that...
FWIW, AP Clearwater did a full service and refinish (which is excellent, unlike most negative connotations with "refinishing") on a ROO Chrono for about 1600 USD. The AD was probably marking up the service on that 15300.
:htfu:

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:25 am

matt.wu wrote:It's an excellent experience as far as factory service goes. One of the best I've encountered, and I think appropriately priced. But yes, the price is commensurate with MSRP.
I have heard this also. Personally if I had to bank to afford an AP they would be the ones I would use.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:48 am

Send it to Jack
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:53 am

BBK357 wrote:Send it to Jack
Yea, he can bead-blast it and do a re-lume

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:57 am

hoppyjr wrote:
BBK357 wrote:Send it to Jack
Yea, he can bead-blast it and do a re-lume
Can he relume and then bead blast it?

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:57 am

matt.wu wrote:
mikeylacroix wrote:Singapore AD quoted pt of mine about 3k SGD for a basic service on a 15300. He got it done thru my watch guy for wayyyy lower than that...
FWIW, AP Clearwater did a full service and refinish (which is excellent, unlike most negative connotations with "refinishing") on a ROO Chrono for about 1600 USD. The AD was probably marking up the service on that 15300.
They tend to be pretty quick, relative to PP, as well based on what I've seen from my AP collecting buddy. With Rolex service getting more expensive, and never being super great, I think AP isn't badly priced.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:00 am

good to know the above feedback. I might sell a few pieces and grab a diver....well see.

Im considering either:

Sell the Aqua Terra and the Sub C to buy a DSSD/Cameron.....Love that in pics......
Sell the Aqua Terra and the Explorer 2 White dial GMT 42mm to buy an AP Diver New model white dial.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:03 am

I'd go with option 2, but instead of an AP I'd get a Patek 5711 white dial.

That Patek, a SD4k, and an ABC modded Submariner (for NATO's) would be all I ever needed to be a happy man.

bzabodyn
Name: BZ

Post by bzabodyn » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:05 am

The service center in Clearwater is reason alone to own an AP - amazing service and high quality refinishing/service without it having to leave the US. On a Diver, full service and refinish (no parts) is around $1200-1400 and most Royal Oaks are $1400-1600. Last service quote I got for a RubberClad including a new bezel (net of core refund) was only $1650.
--> Brandon

Instagram @bzabodyn214

bzabodyn
Name: BZ

Post by bzabodyn » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:06 am

hoppyjr wrote:I'd go with option 2, but instead of an AP I'd get a Patek 5711 white dial.

That Patek, a SD4k, and an ABC modded Submariner (for NATO's) would be all I ever needed to be a happy man.
That's a pretty stout 3 some. Love the white dial 5711s.

BZ
--> Brandon

Instagram @bzabodyn214

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:18 am

ericf4 wrote:good to know the above feedback. I might sell a few pieces and grab a diver....well see.

Im considering either:

Sell the Aqua Terra and the Sub C to buy a DSSD/Cameron.....Love that in pics......
Sell the Aqua Terra and the Explorer 2 White dial GMT 42mm to buy an AP Diver New model white dial.
Option 2 is a huge upgrade over option 1. That blue/black DSSD is one of my least favorite Rolex models - ever.

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:22 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
ericf4 wrote:good to know the above feedback. I might sell a few pieces and grab a diver....well see.

Im considering either:

Option 2 is a huge upgrade over option 1. That blue/black DSSD is one of my least favorite Rolex models - ever.
I didn't like it at first, but wore Adam's for a bit at the CT GTG. It really is nicer in person than in photos.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:24 am

cerkota it asap

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:49 am

toxicavenger wrote:cerkota it asap
That stuff goes great on tortilla chips.

Nellipj
Name: Patrick

Post by Nellipj » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:04 am

Eric, service on my Diver was $3000 because parts needed to be replaced that were damaged by a previous owner. There were multiple owners so I have no idea who did it. They either took the back off and messed something up putting it back together, or someone tried to service it that did not know what they were doing and messed up internal parts. I was not happy.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:06 am

Im considering either:

You have a ton of cool watches so both options would work. However, even though I was able to play with a Cameron DSSD this weekend (we got a great AD in Puerto Rico which carries Rolex and Tudor and have tons of models, need to do a thread about that), it's a huge watch. We both have similar sized wrists (I don't have a micro penis though) and even though you like bigger watches than me, the DSSD/Cameron looks way too big. The dial does look cool and if I were to get a DSSD, I would get the Cameron.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:07 am

hoppyjr wrote:I'd go with option 2, but instead of an AP I'd get a Patek 5711 white dial.

Sorry to go off topic, but is always cool to know the "perfect collection" of another DWC member.

Yours is great, although I would change it like this: blue 5711, ExpII Polar and a Sub for nato wear (I would add a Speedy or a Sinn chrono to this trio actually).

I have to ask, what mods to the Sub? The matte bezel? Thin lugs?

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

YOHOHO
Dirty Closet Hinderer Whore
Name: Josh

Post by YOHOHO » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:58 am

I'd lean DSSD Blue, but that's me. I've been waiting for prices to drop, but that may never happen...alas...

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:07 am

YOHOHO wrote:I'd lean DSSD Blue, but that's me. I've been waiting for prices to drop, but that may never happen...alas...

Yeah a bit tough to wrap my head around paying 3k or so more for a DSSD simply with a diff color dial....but man its nice.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:25 am

I hear that you can get a better deal on an AP if you get intimate with Zack...

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:28 am

Eric I'd go for a white AP, looks very fresh and unique. I am warming up to half blue DSSD but not 3K worth of warming up. Also it's much more dramatic in some of the pictures posted out there, on a wrist it's pretty much black unless you're in the direct sun.